Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I never thought about a open house before but it makes good sense. 360 visibility, no worries about having to get the muzzle out of the house when shooting, less expensive, easier to get into position. Wife liked the idea as well as its primarily for her. Cover the sides with burlap or camo netting and an umbrella for the bad days.
Great idea, thanks.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
enclosed stands are best and always keep your windows shut reason: no human scent in air then. another thought always paint the inside of stand dark ,take all orange clothes off and wear dark clothes including dark hat. use small windows too and some camo on windows so windows don't shine or glare much. have a landing on stand for ease in getting into enclosed stand. these are some of the more important things I have learned in 40 some years. another safe thing to do always build your stand off the ground at least by 6 feet or higher ,you will have less chance of a stray bullet hitting you. good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Everyone told me I was nuts not doing a completely enclosed blind, but I've got three on the property already, and that's fine if it's raining. This was conceived as a fair weather blind.

[Linked Image]

This is a deer's eye view after applying the camo burlap. I used landscape cloth for backing because the burlap let too much light through.

Here's a view from inside:

[Linked Image]

I ziptie pipe insulation on the top rail for a gun rest. The camo extends above the rail, so when I deploy the rifle, I'm still mostly hidden.

Last edited by shaman; 01/04/19.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I never hunted while sitting in a shooting house in my life. I get why some folks would employ such things- limited space to hunt, owning a small property and being forbidden to trespass on neighboring land, etc. Thankfully, having lived and hunted almost entirely on huge tracts of public land in the Appalachians I've been able to use the still hunt/sit a spell method, which is good because I would go batshit crazy sitting in one spot staring at the same scenery day after day year after year. Guarding the same trees for more than a couple hours drives me up a wall. Come to think of it, I only ever saw one such edifice in 50 years of prowling the woods of PA, MD, WVA, VA, and NY. I did sit in one in the Black Forest outside of Sankt Margens near Freiburg, Germany, but that was at the strict behest of the forester who controlled that neck of the woods. "When in Rome..."

I'm with ya on this! I guess it's the way to go in some places and I'm not knocking it at all. I just rather "still hunt".

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I never hunted while sitting in a shooting house in my life. I get why some folks would employ such things- limited space to hunt, owning a small property and being forbidden to trespass on neighboring land, etc. Thankfully, having lived and hunted almost entirely on huge tracts of public land in the Appalachians I've been able to use the still hunt/sit a spell method, which is good because I would go batshit crazy sitting in one spot staring at the same scenery day after day year after year. Guarding the same trees for more than a couple hours drives me up a wall. Come to think of it, I only ever saw one such edifice in 50 years of prowling the woods of PA, MD, WVA, VA, and NY. I did sit in one in the Black Forest outside of Sankt Margens near Freiburg, Germany, but that was at the strict behest of the forester who controlled that neck of the woods. "When in Rome..."

I'm with ya on this! I guess it's the way to go in some places and I'm not knocking it at all. I just rather "still hunt".

I wish we could get away with still hunting here in eastern NC, but they haven't come out with silencers for machetes, or hovercraft boots. Folks around here say they are still hunting, but they are really stand hunting (sitting still, vs. moving so slowly as to seem to be still.)

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

This one is in central Pennsylvania.

No further details. I'd like to see inside of it though

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have built one. Mine was 3 feet off the ground. Once it has been in place a while deer ignore it. I wouldn't build one tall unless you need the elevation to see what can't be seen from the ground. Make the windows small as you can and still be able to get the barrel out the window. Deer will see in and see you if they are big. Painting the inside black helps conceal you too. Staple carpet to your window sills for a shooting rest. Put a comfortable chair in it that is quiet. Build a couple of shelves to hold what you want handy. Leave enough overhang on your roof and rain won't come in the windows. Enjoy, it is a lot more comfortable than being uncomfortable. Deer walk right by and don't see or smell you. You can wait for the deer you want to shoot without spooking the other ones
The pest here in the off season are wasps. If you leave your chair inside during the summer it is harder to clear out the wasp nests. Small windows keep the buzzards out too.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I also hunt out of a Gheenoe, do you find the 2.5hp pushed it well enough? I load mine up. Run from 2 to 6 miles (by GPS) upstream to set up hunting camp for 5 days. Have to cross two small lakes and want to make sure a small motor will push the loaded boat ok, not looking to race the darn thing.

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.