Print Thread
Hop To
C
ckat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have fallen in love with the SWFA scopes (especially the 3-9HD) and have slowly been transitioning the scopes on my big-game rifles to them. The only con for me are the non-capped turrets, but a strip of packing tape on the windage turret helps my feelings there... I love the SWFAs for their dead nuts tracking and their unbelievable ability to hold zero. The extra weight is an easy trade off for me.

I ran across the Burris MTAC sale that Natchez has going right now and the Mil version of the MTAC line is awfully intriguing. Reviews and tests on this line are few and far between. I have/have had several Burris scopes including the FFII, E1, and Signature and have liked them. Just curious on how the MTAC would compare to the SWFAs?

Has JB tested one? Has an MTAC ever spent any time on the Heym?

Has Formidilosus ever put one through the ringer?

Anyone else?

My main concerns are reliability and tracking, followed by optics and weight.

GB1

C
ckat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just found a detailed description of the Milling reticle... yuck!!! A cross between a mil and BDC?!?! Looks like I would need to find a G2B reticle...

C
ckat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
No one has an MTAC? The few reviews online are favorable, though most aren't very detailed. I think I may try a 3.5-10x42 as they are SFP scopes.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I really wanted to like this scope (bought one twice and took both back). The problem I had was flare. Turning the scope anywhere near close to the sun and you could not see thru it. I tried several other scopes - Minox, Zeiss, Bushnell, and even Simmons which did not flare out like the Burris. I felt the optics otherwise was very good, but just could not live with this problem in a hunting scope.

C
ckat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by joe6555
I really wanted to like this scope (bought one twice and took both back). The problem I had was flare. Turning the scope anywhere near close to the sun and you could not see thru it. I tried several other scopes - Minox, Zeiss, Bushnell, and even Simmons which did not flare out like the Burris. I felt the optics otherwise was very good, but just could not live with this problem in a hunting scope.

Interesting... Which model(s) did you try? They advertise as having either MultiLume or HiLume coatings, which I believe are decent lens coatings...

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
MTAC 4.5-14 with the weird reticle they came up with. Actually, it looked like it would work fairly well with the rifle/load I planned on using it on. Ended up with the Cabela's Meopta 6.5-20 they closed out last year, and it has not shown any reason for me not to like it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last summer Cabelas had a sale on them for a really good price...I picked up one,and my buddy two..

Both of his track and return to zero just fine...Of course,I got the oddball...Mine tracks about 6 1/2% to long.. I put a .935 correction factor into my program and all is well now... I will say that it is very reliable in that it is repeatable..Always does what it's sposed to do with the correction..

Seen the Natchetz price and thought maybe I should get another...

That is it on my 260ai...575 yards and hit exactly where I wanted to..

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,641
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.