Print Thread
Hop To
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F

I'm gonna buy a NEW Tikka T3x 30-06 stainless non fluted synthetic.

I want to use the OEM syn. stock.

I don't care for lightweight rifles, so want to increase the weight of this new purchase. I'm used to hunting with a 9 to 9 3/4 pound rifle.

Would like for the new Tikka to weigh the same.

I'm thinking of a moderate to hvy. wt. scope (3-12X Burris) , steel rings and bases, lead wool in the forearm recesses.

Can't decide on the best way to insert wt. into the buttstock area.

Buttstock weight ideas/methods?

Any other useful tips for adding weight?

Any other useful tips in general?

FjLee Denver,CO

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My Tikka 308 plus a Zeiss Terra 3-9x42, Weaver-style rings, and a Picatinny rail weighed 7 lb. 9 oz unloaded with no sling. A heavier scope, steel rings, and a steel rail might get you where you want to be.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can add lead and foam to the buttstock. I did this temporarily with my .300 wm. It was a temporary measure. I was waiting for a laminate stock and SWFA 3-9. It still only weighs 8.75 with a 19 oz scope and Boyd's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put a heavy/heavier scope and rings on it. However, you will have to deal with the multitude of geniuses who ask "why would one put a heavy scope on a lightweight rifle" while ignoring the fact some people buy a lightweight rifle to enable them to attach their preferred heavier accessories for a package with a specific desired end-weight that would weigh less than the end weight of a heavier rifle with those same accessories.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 01/04/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F

The 3-12X Signature Burris I'm gonna install weighs 23-24 ounces with caps.

I think by todays standards, that'd be considered somewhat heavy. I wish it was
heavier, making my job easier!

FjLee Denver CO

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is what I added to my Tikka 3X 30-06 superlite. Remove recoil pad and cut just enough off the foam filler to fit the steel rod.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-ft-x-1-2-in-Hot-Rolled-Weldable-Steel-Metal-Round/3057577

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You can fill the forend recesses with bedding compound, steel reinforced epoxy, or even just 100% silicone caulk (black).

For the butt, you can use expanding foam (Great Stuff), then drop lead shot in it while it is still wet. What I did with my Ruger Ranch 450 is took everything out of the butt (white foam beadboard from the factory), and filled the entire butt with 100% silicone caulk. You just have to put a few inches in at a time, and smash it in to keep the bubbles out and to really get it filled. You can fill the whole thing, and it will dry just fine. Just leave the pad off, and prop it up somewhere vertically for a few days.
The silicone adds quite a bit of weight, and it gives is a really good feel once it fully dries. The silicone really helps eat up vibration when shooting as well. If you tap on the stock, it sounds solid, and not like a plastic toy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another option would be buying the same rifle with the laminated stock. They are quite a bit heavier.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I have a T3X in 270wsm. I wanted to do the same thing. I put a steel rail and LRHS 4.5x18i on it. I call it the perfect combination.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While not adding weight per se, I would also change out the recoil pad for something like the Limbsaver Airtech. That may help with recoil for you.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I too have heard of people filling the stock with lead shot. One gun writer had Melvin Forbes fill his NULA with lead shot and took the rifle from an ultralight to 12lbs. Never tried it myself.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by fjlee

I'm gonna buy a NEW Tikka T3x 30-06 stainless non fluted synthetic.

I want to use the OEM syn. stock.

I don't care for lightweight rifles, so want to increase the weight of this new purchase. I'm used to hunting with a 9 to 9 3/4 pound rifle.

Would like for the new Tikka to weigh the same.

I'm thinking of a moderate to hvy. wt. scope (3-12X Burris) , steel rings and bases, lead wool in the forearm recesses.

Can't decide on the best way to insert wt. into the buttstock area.

Buttstock weight ideas/methods?

Any other useful tips for adding weight?

Any other useful tips in general?

FjLee Denver,CO

Remove recoil pad. Pop out the grid thing. Carve out room for your weight in the foam, in the bottom I'd think. Epoxy weight in place. Might consider a mercury-type recoil reducing thingy.

Looks like this in there.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Another option would be buying the same rifle with the laminated stock. They are quite a bit heavier.

Too easy .

F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
[

Remove recoil pad. Pop out the grid thing. Carve out room for your weight in the foam, in the bottom I'd think. Epoxy weight in place. Might consider a mercury-type recoil reducing thingy.
Looks like this in there.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[/quote]

MtnBoomer, please watch for a PM from me.

Good response, folks. Tnx for the input. More ideas are certainly welcome.
I'm gonna make this happen!!!

FjLee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (66Block, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 19 invisible), 1,098 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.