Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There are many here that most likely think this of me but today, I sealed the deal. Here's the story. How many times have I said I hated cases that were of one particular caliber yet were head stamped another? Well, I am shooting 22 HP stamped 30-30 Win. I never considered annealing cases to reform. Today I did THAT. I said I hated post mil guns, yet I own ONE CE unfired, NIB. So naturally I had to have a PE to go with that. I always said I couldn't understand the fixation of the .284 Win. Today I bought one and It's a beauty. 98% or better.. The owner was so intent on teaching me more that he pulled all of his PE's and DE's to show me the variations of engraving. In the teaching guns were laying everywhere. After the long drive home in miserable weather, I started taking pictures to post here. All of a sudden I saw .308 WIN instead of .284. I called the owner back and he is beside himself. Neither of us know how the mix-up happened, but it did, I just called him back and found that he sold me his ONLY DE in .284. I feel horrid and offered to squash the deal. He said no way. He said he sold me the gun fair and square and it stands. I dumped a fair amount of cash, but the .284 is about the rarest on calibers of the DE. He even sweetened the deal with this. I took pictures of the wrong gun. Taking pictures is when I realized we totally screwed up Actual pictures will be tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Longbeardking; 01/06/19. Reason: Added pictures

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I couldn't live with myself. if I were you I'd sell it to me.

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a little confused by the story. You thought you were buying the 284, but came home with a 308? He willingly sold you his only one not realizing it was his one and only? Anyhow, sound slike you got it straightened out. If you want to be shocked, go shoot that 284 at 400 yards.

I loaded up 100 284's today for the next couple seasons. I've always said if I had a chance to buy a PE in 284 I'd make it happen.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You are sort of right. he has a number of .284's. Most are PE's and only one other DE that is blue.He was showing me the tremendous difference in engraving. We were passing rifles back and forth and somehow i ended up with the one I have here now. By lunch time it will be back to "normal". The only thing is now that my WIFE wants me to settle in by buying a PE as well. What a gal. laugh laugh laugh

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sounds like massive confusion,mixed with savage excitement !!!! grin grin

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds like a Great Day All & All, and you ended up with a Great rifle! I went to a local gunshow and there was a Cased set, and a Mint 300"T" there!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
There are many here that most likely think this of me but today, I sealed the deal. Here's the story. How many times have I said I hated cases that were of one particular caliber yet were head stamped another? Well, I am shooting 22 HP stamped 30-30 Win. I never considered annealing cases to reform. Today I did THAT. I said I hated post mil guns, yet I own ONE CE unfired, NIB.

Proof - "Never say never" smile

Originally Posted by Longbeardking
So naturally I had to have a PE to go with that. I always said I couldn't understand the fixation of the .284 Win. Today I bought one and It's a beauty. 98% or better.. The owner was so intent on teaching me more that he pulled all of his PE's and DE's to show me the variations of engraving. In the teaching guns were laying everywhere. After the long drive home in miserable weather, I started taking pictures to post here. All of a sudden I saw .308 WIN instead of .284. I called the owner back and he is beside himself. Neither of us know how the mix-up happened, but it did, I just called him back and found that he sold me his ONLY DE in .284. I feel horrid and offered to squash the deal. He said no way. He said he sold me the gun fair and square and it stands. I dumped a fair amount of cash, but the .284 is about the rarest on calibers of the DE. He even sweetened the deal with this. I took pictures of the wrong gun. Taking pictures is when I realized we totally screwed up Actual pictures will be tomorrow.

This maneuver in some circles is known as "bait-n-switch". Question here is, who done it?? wink

Would it be possible to acquire some detailed pics of those DE & PE's? The thirst for knowledge lingers...

"Every day above ground is a good day."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What do PE and DE mean?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by postoak
What do PE and DE mean?

Page 95 of David Royals book gives excellent details AND pictures of the PE and DE. There was no bait and switch involved.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like all's well that ends well. Congrats on what would appear to be a neat find!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sounds like all's well that ends well. Congrats on what would appear to be a neat find!

Just waiting for the phone call laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LBK, tell us what you find out about all the differences in engraving. I understood there was an east and a west version. Does that mean for each, PE, DE, CE, or ? And a blued one?

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/06/19.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will post pictures as soon as I have the gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a subject I want to cover in detail in the engraving book if I write it. Pages 98 and 99 in "A Collector's Guide to the Savage 99 Rifle,..." show the variation of the engraving on my two PE's.
The PE is presentation grade and DE is citation grade, the CE is the centennial edition. The PE and DE are highly embellished DL's available in 243, 284 and 308. A little over 500 of each were produced. The PE has more intricate engraving, very high grade wood and hand checkering. The DE has simpler checkering, lesser grade wood and abominable stamped checkering. I swore I'd never buy a DE because of the stamped checkering but gave in after I decided to try to buy all the models. We debated what all the models were on another forum and I guess I still don't have all the models and never will. It made buying the DE a little more palatable because it is a 284.
It has been fired and since I've decided to change my display to one table of pre-WWI 1895's and 1899's I may put a scope on it and take it to the range.
The CE has a removable magazine, has engraving similar to the PE and the animals in the engraving are gold plated. It was produced in 1996 only and 300 Savage caliber only. Advertising said 1000 would be produced. Ron Coburn told me Savage produced about 1800 due to high demand for the rifle.
David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It was produced in 1996 only and 300 Savage caliber only.

I know of 1 special order .308.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike, with Savage there is always an exception to everything. Thanks for posting that. I heard about it but didn't remember. 73 year brain doesn't retain things as well as it usta.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Sheit stirrer! grin

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Sheit stirrer! grin

Nuthin but the facts, mam. cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The facts are real fuzzy with Savage.

wyo1895
[email protected]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You should always do what Nan says. especially if she says to buy another Savage.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 24 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,047
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.