Nice buck for sure, congrats.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anyone would be proud to shoot that one. Very nice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice deer.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's a fine buck!

I need to get down to Alabama for some late season deer chasing!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
NICE !!!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The mountains are the "foothills" of the Appalachian mountains, on the very Southern end, NE AL. Certainly not "high" mountains, just rough, steep, with lots of twists and turns.

Sorry, I have no idea how to score one.

It's a bit early, they are just getting started in this location. There's a lot of variation in the Southeast, especially in areas where there's overlap of locations deer were originally stocked from. Nice in that if you hunt different areas you can find bucks breeding from mid/late-Nov through February.....down side is that rutting activity isn't as "intense" as you'd see in locations that have a well defined rut. Does may be bred all the way through February, even early March....but even in a drawn out rut, bucks are moving more than any other time.

I am looking forward to my upcoming hunt in the Greenville AL area starting on the 19th. Hoping for some colder weather to help kick in some day time buck movement. Been a warm season so far in AL. Not to mention wet the last month.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jay, you kill a good buck (or two) up there every year. Very impressive. They've started moving down here in lower Alabama, which is actually pretty early, normally it's the last two weeks in January.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The mountains are the "foothills" of the Appalachian mountains, on the very Southern end, NE AL. Certainly not "high" mountains, just rough, steep, with lots of twists and turns.

Sorry, I have no idea how to score one.

It's a bit early, they are just getting started in this location. There's a lot of variation in the Southeast, especially in areas where there's overlap of locations deer were originally stocked from. Nice in that if you hunt different areas you can find bucks breeding from mid/late-Nov through February.....down side is that rutting activity isn't as "intense" as you'd see in locations that have a well defined rut. Does may be bred all the way through February, even early March....but even in a drawn out rut, bucks are moving more than any other time.

I am looking forward to my upcoming hunt in the Greenville AL area starting on the 19th. Hoping for some colder weather to help kick in some day time buck movement. Been a warm season so far in AL. Not to mention wet the last month.

BM123, I'm hoping for a little colder weather as well. I hope you have a great hunt in Greenville. It certainly has been WET here.....I'm not sure if I drug the buck down the mountain or if he drug me...it was about a 50/50 on who was pulling who. I slipped on the wet leaves so much that I finally got my technique down so I could do it smoothly....kinda like sliding into second base. By the time I got to the bottom of the mountain I had so much mud on my left hip and pants leg it looked like I'd been used by an elephant for toilet paper.

Hey Clint, they aren't going wide open yet but have started. I'm lucky to get to hunt this area. It's a club where it's open game on anything legal and most of the members are just there to take whatever they see....and I'm ok with that. If everyone was on board and really controlled for age it could be something.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very, very nicely done!! Congrats!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dang nice deer. Congrats!

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
darn nice buck there brother. looks like a river bottom instead of mountain to me. absolutely beautiful land there and hard to come by these days. I'm ya neighbor to the west in MS and they are chasing hard here now. my small,900 acre,camp has killed several since the week of Christmas all roaming looking for the ladies.
congrats,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great buck Jay! Hope you and your family are doing well.

I'm thinking of trying some of those 129 ABLR in my Creed. I've been using the 130gr VLD's in mine and they have worked great usually leaving an exit wound the size of a golf ball or a bit larger, until this year I had a couple bucks not die quickly the bullet wasn't expanding just penciling.

Love that rifle. I ended up buying a 21" Fieldcraft in 6mm Creed since I already have a custom 6.5 and a Ruger American Predator. I'm very impressed with the accuracy, it shoots the Precision Hunter 103gr ELD-X under 1/2" @ 200yds. I know you haven't had much luck with the ELD-X.

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 01/17/19.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Damn nice deer!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Wonderful buck!

I had no idea they rutted that late down there.

I've never hunt deer in the deep south other than near Augusta, GA and they were rutting in mid to late November

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very nice buck, Jay. Might have to try hunting down there someday

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow. Nice buck!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks guys. Been away hunting so I've gotten behind on the thread....

Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Great buck Jay! Hope you and your family are doing well.

I'm thinking of trying some of those 129 ABLR in my Creed. I've been using the 130gr VLD's in mine and they have worked great usually leaving an exit wound the size of a golf ball or a bit larger, until this year I had a couple bucks not die quickly the bullet wasn't expanding just penciling.

Love that rifle. I ended up buying a 21" Fieldcraft in 6mm Creed since I already have a custom 6.5 and a Ruger American Predator. I'm very impressed with the accuracy, it shoots the Precision Hunter 103gr ELD-X under 1/2" @ 200yds. I know you haven't had much luck with the ELD-X.

Hey Jeff, we're doing great. Kids are growing to fast and keeping us busy all the time. Hope you and your family are doing well. We gotta get together sometime. I saw the buck you nailed a little while back. NICE!

I'm liking the 129 ablr but I've only used it at 125 and less on 4 deer so far. If you'd like to try the 129's let me know and I'll send you a box or partial box of them so you can play with them.

I've got a 6 CM Seekins Havok that I've been shooting the 108 eldm facroty load in and it's so accurate it's scary. I think the 6 cm in the Fieldcraft will be a great combo. I picked up some 103 x's to reload in the brass.....may use them a bit on coyotes but it will be next year before I get to try them on deer.

Originally Posted by Dude270
Wonderful buck!

I had no idea they rutted that late down there.

I've never hunt deer in the deep south other than near Augusta, GA and they were rutting in mid to late November

It's a very late drawn out rut and varies across the state. A couple of years ago they extended the season from the end of January until about a week and a half into Feb because of how late the rut can be. I've seen bucks in March that still had their horns.

Originally Posted by jaydub in wi
Very nice buck, Jay. Might have to try hunting down there someday

Hey Jason, good to see you posting. Let me know when you're going to take a trip down to hunt!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a brother that lives near Montgomery. I really need him to join a club down there that has guest/family privledges... wink

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pointer
I have a brother that lives near Montgomery. I really need him to join a club down there that has guest/family privledges... wink

Yes sir.

The area I hunt allows guests/family to hunt.....up until January, then it's members only.

There are a lot of WMA's across the state that have good hunting. If a person is willing to travel to different ones and times it correctly he can be hunting in or very close to the rut almost the whole season. The down side of WMA's are dealing with public hunting.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.