Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Tikka, Bergara, Kimber Hunter, or????

Mulling a Bergara Hunter, but not sure about the tacky stock coatings? Need to look for Tikka deals, I guess.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'd put the Howa/Vanguards high on the list for value, but the rifles you have listed are all a bit less "portly" than the Howa and Vanguard models. Tikkas are great if you can stand the plastic bottom "metal" and the detachable mag. Otherwise, plan to spend more to change out the trigger guard and bottom plate for aluminum. Haven't handled the Begara, not personally a fan of the Kimber--it just felt too...light? It seemed like it didn't have the weight and substance to make working the bolt a smooth process.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sauer 100 XT.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Define "best bang". Are you looking for hunting accuracy out to 400-500 yards or 1,000 yard accuracy? How much do aesthetics matter? Do synthetic and walnut rate the same? How do you rate weight and trigger pull differences or are they a 'don't care'?

I intended to rebarrel my .243 Win Savage FXP3 (Model 11) to 6.5 CM. The rifle was used and cost me $295 and an $80 barrel was planned - but I shot the donor and that was the end of that. Still, if I got the bug again, I might go the same route. If you want, there are Savage Axis 6.5 CM rifles on Gunbroker for $300. Pretty sure they would go 'Bang' and provide at least hunting accuracy.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Berger’s I handled needed to go on a diet....maybe their new LW model is better.....dunno.
Tikka’s are a nice rifle and I like their feel and balance - a pal had his magazine fall out and break. He had a single shot for the rest of the season.
Howa is a good solid action, but heavy, IMO.
I have a Kimber Hunter CM however, that has become my “ go to “ rifle.
With a Leupold 2.5x8 on board, it’s light to carry, has a really good stock design and is very accurate.
Mine has a pretty impressive record on deer, elk and pronghorn.
I painted the stock to suit me - and I’ve never once wished it were heavier and bulkier....
I have a lot of options when I go to the safe, but almost alway pull out the Kimber.

Your best bet is to get each one of those in your hands and see which one talks to you.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

Mulling a Bergara Hunter, but not sure about the tacky stock coatings? Need to look for Tikka deals, I guess.

I'm in the same boat man. I'm glad you asked the question. Bergara looks damn good for $700.00. Saw a NIB Savage (I know barf) trophy hunter XP 6.5 creedmoor with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope for $489.00 tonight at my LGS: Hey my buddy has a Trophy hunter 22-250 that shoots better than most of my rifles. It's one on those things where you "don't knock it until you've tried it". Handled a Kimber hunter tonight in 6.5 creedmoor as well. Had to research what talley's to put on it. It appears they take 8-40 screws (I'd go with the medium Talley lightweights part #948749 for the scopes I have on hand). Just throwing that out there, as I thought maybe on an off chance some of my model 70 mounts would work. NOPE they wont'... Also, the barrel is so pencil thin that it makes you wonder how it's even accurate. The funny thing is it doesn't even feel as light as advertised at 5.5 pounds. The tiny model 70 clone looks anorexic to me. JMHO. That tiny bolt body looks like it would bend under a heavy load eek.. Also the Kimber barrel was leaning way to one side of the barrel channel. Decided not to buy it, even though it was priced well enough at $749.99, when most places want $800.00. I like the more traditional looks/lines of the Bergara rifle and am glad it doesn't sport a remington 700 extractor, even though just about everything else is said to be the "footprint" of a rem 700. The recoil lug is a little beefier on the Bergara as well. Which is a plus. From digging around a bit, it was mentioned that the Bergara's stock was based off of a Brown Precision stock, although it is made cheaper by means of injection molding. The Bergara weighs in at 7 pounds, has a nice adjustable trigger, hinged floorplate, sports a 22" barrel and is guaranteed to shoot 1 moa "or less" for 3 shots with the use of premium ammo. However, This is just about the norm now days for most rifles, including the Kimber hunter. However, if I were going to place a bet on which rifle shot the best, I'd say Savage or Tikka for the win... Now, for Tikka. You have the infamous superlite that Sportsman's carries and Cabela's will also have some in stock in about 6 months. Sportsman's sells their superlite models for $749.99 and are about $100.00 cheaper than a Cabela's exclusive Superlite. These rifles are advertised to weigh in at 5.9 pounds. Availability can be sketchy on these superlite models, so call and check with your store before you make the drive. You can also find the Tikka T3X model on sale sometimes, but their every day price on the 6.5 creed is $628.00 for a blued 6.3 pound rifle. The stainless T3x rifles are $748.00 and also 6.3 pounds. For Ruger, you can get a plain jane American for $409.99. I just made up my mind. I'm going to go and buy a superlite 6.5 creed tomorrow at my local Sportsman's. They say they have one in stock.. Wish me luck!!! Now see that wasn't so hard was it?.. grin Next in line would have been the Savage Trophy Hunter XP, with a price tag of $489.00 blush ....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Vanguard or a Savage

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A few dealers on Gun Broker had Browning X Bolts with a grey synthetic stock for $499.00 with free shipping.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
For clarity: This is a dual use, all-range, bench/hunting, synthetic gun. Don’t want this gun to be a Savage, Ruger American, Howa, or Weatherby. The Brown Precision pattern stock info on the Bergara sounds good. I’ve liked the BP sticks I’ve had. I like the simple, more traditional design of the Bergara and the 700 compatibility. If I could find an EW 70 in right $, I’m there, too.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep’em coming.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/11/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka and be done.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Stainless Savage Axis with Accutrigger, $296 at WalMart.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you want a floorplate or detachable magazine??

The Bergara will offer more scope mounting options over the Tikka. The action on the Bergara is every bit as smooth as that of a Tikka too.

The stock finish on the Bergara is essentially like Duratouch from Browning, some have had bad luck w the stuff but I have had 3 or 4 Browning gs with it and never an issue though you do have to be careful with any chemicals or bug spray around it.

Several good options out there.

Myself of the 2 you list I am going Bergara because I cannot fall in love with a detachable mag set up. Have had 2 or 3 and they are down the road.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For clarity: This is a dual use, all-range, bench/hunting, synthetic gun. Don’t want this gun to be a Savage, Ruger American, Howa, or Weatherby. The Brown Precision pattern stock info on the Bergara sounds good. I’ve liked the BP sticks I’ve had. I like the simple, more traditional design of the Bergara and the 700 compatibility. If I could find an EW 70 in right $, I’m there, too.

You've pretty much eliminated the rifles that offer the most out of the box accuracy for each dollar spent.

I have a stainless Ruger Hawkeye bedded in a McM Hunter style stock that I like a lot.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the previous gen salvage lightweight hunters are on sale for $450ish. i picked up a .223 for $400. very handy package and theyre accurate. not worth the approx $600-700 they cost when new but definitely worth the sale price.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
We have 2 Kimber Hunters in 6.5cm and they are good, very accurate, maybe not the best "all around" type rifle,but about as good as it gets for a hunting rifle. Also have had a Tikka T3x which was accurate enough but not as good as either Kimber and basically handled like a club in comparison. It was easier for bench type shooting though. By far the most accurate 6.5 we have however is a Rem 700 ADL package gun. Threw away the cheap scope, adjusted the trigger and the thing shoots just about anything into a cluster at 100 yards.It weighs 1.5 lbs more than the Kimber though. Throw that barreled action into a better stock and you would have workable rifle that would compete with just about anything else performance wise. Not a 6.5cm but the Barrett Fieldcraft in 3006 is the best bang for buck I have ever got and it is the most expensive rifle in the rack. It is that good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tikka, and it ain't even close. It's a proven commodity, and you know what kind of performance you'll get. Get the Sportsmatch rings that mount directly to the dovetail and you'll have a bulletproof combo.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm in the same boat man. I'm glad you asked the question. Bergara looks damn good for $700.00. Saw a NIB Savage (I know barf) trophy hunter XP 6.5 creedmoor with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope for $489.00 tonight at my LGS: Hey my buddy has a Trophy hunter 22-250 that shoots better than most of my rifles. It's one on those things where you "don't knock it until you've tried it". Handled a Kimber hunter tonight in 6.5 creedmoor as well. Had to research what talley's to put on it. It appears they take 8-40 screws (I'd go with the medium Talley lightweights part #948749 for the scopes I have on hand). Just throwing that out there, as I thought maybe on an off chance some of my model 70 mounts would work. NOPE they wont'... Also, the barrel is so pencil thin that it makes you wonder how it's even accurate. The funny thing is it doesn't even feel as light as advertised at 5.5 pounds. The tiny model 70 clone looks anorexic to me. JMHO. That tiny bolt body looks like it would bend under a heavy load eek.. Also the Kimber barrel was leaning way to one side of the barrel channel. Decided not to buy it, even though it was priced well enough at $749.99, when most places want $800.00. I like the more traditional looks/lines of the Bergara rifle and am glad it doesn't sport a remington 700 extractor, even though just about everything else is said to be the "footprint" of a rem 700. The recoil lug is a little beefier on the Bergara as well. Which is a plus. From digging around a bit, it was mentioned that the Bergara's stock was based off of a Brown Precision stock, although it is made cheaper by means of injection molding. The Bergara weighs in at 7 pounds, has a nice adjustable trigger, hinged floorplate, sports a 22" barrel and is guaranteed to shoot 1 moa "or less" for 3 shots with the use of premium ammo. However, This is just about the norm now days for most rifles, including the Kimber hunter. However, if I were going to place a bet on which rifle shot the best, I'd say Savage or Tikka for the win... Now, for Tikka. You have the infamous superlite that Sportsman's carries and Cabela's will also have some in stock in about 6 months. Sportsman's sells their superlite models for $749.99 and are about $100.00 cheaper than a Cabela's exclusive Superlite. These rifles are advertised to weigh in at 5.9 pounds. Availability can be sketchy on these superlite models, so call and check with your store before you make the drive. You can also find the Tikka T3X model on sale sometimes, but their every day price on the 6.5 creed is $628.00 for a blued 6.3 pound rifle. The stainless T3x rifles are $748.00 and also 6.3 pounds. For Ruger, you can get a plain jane American for $409.99. I just made up my mind. I'm going to go and buy a superlite 6.5 creed tomorrow at my local Sportsman's. They say they have one in stock.. Wish me luck!!! Now see that wasn't so hard was it?.. grin Next in line would have been the Savage Trophy Hunter XP, with a price tag of $489.00 blush ....

Sportsman's had their stainless 6.5 Lite's (without the fluted barrel) for $699 last week. Not sure if that is their normal price or not. I handled one of them and a Superlight side by side and went with the Lite, as I liked the slightly heavier barrel, but they are both great rifles. That would be my vote for the best bang for the buck.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Academy locally has the 700 ADLs for $399.....might have to just grab one.....vs the others, I know I can aftermarket the heck out of it.....trigger, mags, stocks, etc. 24” barrel and enough weight to be good at the range and not too much to carry a bit.

I was eyeballing a deal on a B-14, but the extra $ could get the 700 there mo better?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 16bore
Tikka and be done.

This.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

You've pretty much eliminated the rifles that offer the most out of the box accuracy for each dollar spent.

I have a stainless Ruger Hawkeye bedded in a McM Hunter style stock that I like a lot.

Yeah, he shot himself in the foot if he's not considering Savage. I didn't realize he's wanting a bench/hunting rifle "dual use", as he puts it. My vote would be a Cabela's exclusive 12FV and cut through all the bs. Dollar for dollar that is one of the best shooting rifles out there. Everyday low price of $419.00, but generally on sale in the $385 and less range...:

[Linked Image]

I assumed he was wanting a good light 6.5 creedmoor for hunting with . I still choose the Tikka T3X Superlite for $750.00. I may just go and buy one tonight..and if choosing between a new Rem 700 and Bergara, that's a no brainer. Go Bergara. Duh... Personally if I am going to spend $700.00, I'd feel stupid not forking over an extra $50.00 and just buy the Tikka superlite. 5.9 pound stainless synthetic vs. 7 pound blued synthetic that is probably accurate. I'd still put my money on the Tikka and bet it will be more accurate and be lighter by a pound. Win win...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,399
Posts18,527,916
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.