Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My Pro Chrono died on me. Comes on but wont show velocity. So I'm looking for another chronograph.

I'm not excited about one that attaches to the barrel.

What's the next best?

The beatings will continue until morale improves
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went with Labradar. Very happy so far.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've got two working chronys. As soon as I've shot the last one I'm going to take a look at that radar job - https://mylabradar.com

Guy at the range was using one and it looked cooler than anything.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Have you cleaned the sensors on the prochrono? A Qtip with some alcohol on it has helped when mine stopped reading reliably.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Pro Chrono is a good as it gets for the buck. Some day I'll quit shooting them.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I had one Prochrono die because an unepected gust of wind knocked the chrono/tripod over. Sent it back to them and they charged me $34 to fix and ship it back. You might try that.

Have tested at least dozen chronographs over the years, owning most of them (right now have half a dozen). One thing I IMMEDIATELY do with any light-screen chronograph is place clear tape over the openings for the sensors. That keeps the dust off 'em, and they keep running right for years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Good info, John.
I don't know how old my PACT is, but 15 years would be a good bet.
I'll clean the sensors with alcohol, and do just that.
Thank you.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been completely satisfied with my old Ohler 35p, other than the set up time. That being said, other than the
price, the Labrader does look interesting.

I'm certainly giving it some thought.

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input guys. I'll try cleaning the lenses with alcohol first and see what happens...If it works. I'll take Mule Deer's advice and put some tape over them. If not, maybe send it back for repair.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have stayed with Oehler 35P since tehy arrived on the scene.
When options started to come on board late 80's or so, they were not as accurate and especially in consistency and mostly had screen too close together. When you are writing you need credibility and telling everyone about the wonderful new Crony you have is not a feather in your cap. Those first generation with the green case and cardboard shooting surrounds turned me away from any other option forever.

The best thing that ever happened to them was when a bullet landed dead center.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Nothing wrong with the Oehler 35P. I've used one for more than twenty-five years. I bought a Labradar about a years ago. The only advantage the Labradar has over the 35P is the slightly faster setup time.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Have my Oehler 35 (non-printer) fromm the early 90's and the Labradar. Use the Labradar all the time now. But I'm still waiting to have the chance to see how the Labradar works in single digit temps for cold weather testing.

It's nice when I go out somewhere to shoot from prone at longish ranges, the Labradar is just the ticket if I also want to chronograph some new loads.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Had a Pro Chrono (still do). Just bought a Labradar a few months ago and have fallen love with it. Wonderful little gizmo. Doesn’t retrieve birds worth a damn though.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I recently picked up a Magnetospeed and so far I'm satisfied. My needs aren't as complicated as some here- the occasional verification of velocity is all I need. My range is often crowded and not having to putz around in front of the firing line setting up a chronograph is a huge benefit. The Labradar was my first pick but the price difference turned me to the Magnetospeed.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well the campfire came through again! Cleaned the lenses with alcohol and clear tape and she's working again!

Thanks to all! Butch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I recently picked up a Magnetospeed and so far I'm satisfied. My needs aren't as complicated as some here- the occasional verification of velocity is all I need. My range is often crowded and not having to putz around in front of the firing line setting up a chronograph is a huge benefit. The Labradar was my first pick but the price difference turned me to the Magnetospeed.

People really need to take their "chronograph needs" into consideration when buying one. I, like gnoahh, use one to verify velocities to get my come ups and then, in essence, I verify the numbers provided by my chronograph by shooting my come-ups. The Magnetospeed is hard to beat for this when you take in to consideration, simplicity, no need for cease-fire to set up and cost. Note this is not a knock on the higher dollar and even "better" chronos out there. Just to re-emphasize, look at your needs before diving in to the chrono pool.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

People really need to take their "chronograph needs" into consideration when buying one. I, like gnoahh, use one to verify velocities to get my come ups and then, in essence, I verify the numbers provided by my chronograph by shooting my come-ups. The Magnetospeed is hard to beat for this when you take in to consideration, simplicity, no need for cease-fire to set up and cost. Note this is not a knock on the higher dollar and even "better" chronos out there. Just to re-emphasize, look at your needs before diving in to the chrono pool.

+1 . If and when I'm in need of a new chronograph a Labradar will be the one.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
it is pretty hard to put a bullet into a lab radar or a magnetospeed and they set up easily.

but a neat thing about the labradar is you can get a100 yd velocity with the muzzle velocity to verify a BC on that bullet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My PC lasted about 10years. Dang good for the money!

When the PC died I really wanted to do some load development the next day and all I could find locally was a cheap Caldwell and a big ugly RCBS shaped like a bullet lol. I bought the Caldwell and surprisingly it worked very well and has worked well for two years. The thing I like the most about the Caldwell is it came with a long cord that attaches to my iPhone and after downloading the free Caldwell app from the app store it has some really cool features. I can type in all details of the load, attach pics of the groups, and have all the data(SD, ES, etc) saved in a file on my phone. It may not last 3 years, but I'm pretty impressed with the features of the app. If it died tom, I'd probably order another PC just because my last one lasted so long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.