Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Remington 78 30-06 that shoots 150 gr. Ballistic Tips wonderfully and I absolutely hate it. I cannot find any love for the 30-06. My nephew is interested in buying it and if he does I will pick up something in the 6.5 family (my true love for years). Beyond that if all fails it will be the Remington again.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just in the early stages and see how Alaska draw results play out. But if not drawn for a Kodak bear tag, I'm pretty sure I will drive down from here and hunt elk in Colorado. I will probably use my super fabulous gay 270 winchester in a stainless classic.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got to get lighter. I've got some skeletal issue still being diagnosed.
Hate to give up the rifle that has served me well for decades and killed 40 big game animals, but the time has come.
Looking at the Weatherby Mark V Ultralight. Looks from the specs like I can save about an additional 3/4 lb if I drop from a 7mag to a .270.
I have not put a Weatherby to my shoulder yet. That matters. Not sure where to find one.
I tried the feel of a Kimber Mountain Ascent and it was the most uncomfortable fit I'd ever experienced. Gotta check that out before I drop $2k on a Weatherby.
I don't know if I can even adapt to a super light rifle.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Winchester 70 Classic Stainless, Swarovski Z5 3.5-18, .300 Remington Ultra Mag, 200gr Accubond at @ 3175 fps.

8.5 lbs on the button all up.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive hunted elk for almost 50 years, Ive seen guys successfully drop elk with everything from a 257 Roberts to a 458 win mag.
one guy I hunt with uses a ruger #1 in 270, and my late hunting partner preferred a BLR in 358 win,
both guys have a long list of successful hunts.
what rifle you select is far less important than your skill using it and knowledge of the elk and the area hunted,
a decent rifle,you already probably own, in a caliber like a 30/06, with a quality 180 grain-210 grain bullet,
in a , bolt action, slide action, single shot or BLR is fully adequate in experienced hands
Id say far more hunts fail due to lack of the hunters physical conditioning, lack of proper knowledge of the area hunted,
or lack of persistence than due to the rifle used

the best combo Ive found for general use where you don,t know the ranges likely to be encountered,
is a synthetic stock 340 wby loaded with 250 grain bullets and a decent scope like this
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...pe-30mm-tube-5-20x-50mm-side-focus-matte

[Linked Image]
I doubt Id have done any , better or worse with a ruger falling block in 338 win or 35 whelen
or a BLR in 30/06

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Hate to give up the rifle that has served me well for decades and killed 40 big game animals, but the time has come.
Looking at the Weatherby Mark V Ultralight. Looks from the specs like I can save about an additional 3/4 lb if I drop from a 7mag to a .270.
I have not put a Weatherby to my shoulder yet. That matters. Not sure where to find one.
I tried the feel of a Kimber Mountain Ascent and it was the most uncomfortable fit I'd ever experienced. Gotta check that out before I drop $2k on a Weatherby.

I have a Mark V lightweight same as ultralight but with #1 contour non-fluted barrel in 30-06. Felt recoil is pretty generous but it is a joy to carry. The 6 Lug bolt and receiver with lighter contour barrel is way lighter than either of the 3 Mark V magnums I have. I have the Weatherby rifles mainly because they fit my frame. Roger that on Kimber Mountain Ascent rifles. A friend of mine has one and I didn’t care for the fit at all either. He loves it, but we have totally opposite body builds. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM

I have a Mark V lightweight same as ultralight but with #1 contour non-fluted barrel in 30-06. Felt recoil is pretty generous but it is a joy to carry. The 6 Lug bolt and receiver with lighter contour barrel is way lighter than either of the 3 Mark V magnums I have. I have the Weatherby rifles mainly because they fit my frame. Roger that on Kimber Mountain Ascent rifles. A friend of mine has one and I didn’t care for the fit at all either. He loves it, but we have totally opposite body builds. Happy Trails

Thank you! That's very helpful.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Don't know if we are applying yet. If we should , it will be the T3 270. Not sure what scope might be on it. Could be a Leupy 6X. 150 grain Grand Slam over a stiff charge of 7828.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WAM

My wife gave it to me for our 30th anniversary so I don’t feel right about selling it. I wish I had got it in .280 Remington instead of ‘06, but I don’t have another ‘06 so I guess it stays. Happy Trails

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Next season is a ways off but hoping to get back to my old stomping grounds and hunt with my dad, I’ll be taking a kimber Montana 308.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM

My wife gave it to me for our 30th anniversary so I don’t feel right about selling it. I wish I had got it in .280 Remington instead of ‘06, but I don’t have another ‘06 so I guess it stays. Happy Trails

A good woman and a good rifle. Can't beat that.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM

Q? What is your take on the smoothness and feel when cycling the bolt?
While traveling recently I got to try one (no nice rifles are retailed where I live).
Fit and feel were very nice, I liked the 54 degree bolt rotation, 9 lugs seemed great. I considered buying it but the action seemed loose and noisy to me.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Alamosa,
Mine is a 6-Lug lightweight action. Some of the older Howa-built Mark V 9-Lug magnum actions were chambered in .30-06 and .270 Win. before production was moved to the US and the standard length action was built. The fluted bolt fits pretty tight in the receiver when locked up. I don’t think it’s buttery smooth like some Mauser-style actions. All of my Mark Vs seem smooth enough to me. It’s a fairly heavy bolt in the 9-Lug version and seems clunky when cycled with the thumb and index finger like a snowflake. Properly cycled it is more than solid. Hope that helps. Happy Trails

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
28N

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, it's 2019 now. We don't even know what areas or seasons we will hunt - let alone what rifles we will take. Probably just one SIL and possibly his brother for elk this year. They will use wha t they have, a .300WSM and .270 Win.

I did apply for two Wyoming doe antelope tags several days ago. Probably the .243 Win or .257 Roberts. Not sure how many will go this year. Last year there were 11 of us with 5 shooters, this year could be 10/4 or 13/6. Might have to get a bigger motel. smile Assuming 13 people with 6 shooters, the others will be using 6.5CM, two .30-06, a .308 Win or .270 Win. Daughter #3, if they come, will use my .257 Roberts again.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Just booked a hunt in Idaho for elk and mule deer. Also just sent a new model 70 in 308 to JES to be rebored into a 338 Federal and have a McMillan compact hunter in black and orange swirly coming. This will likely be going to Idaho along with a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 as back up.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by kingston
28N

[Linked Image]

Hey King' How much does that set up weigh? Me like

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am sure like normal I will tote my 6.5X284 for elk. Same 'ol Rem 700, though I switched the 6X SWFA out for a 10X SWFA. I am also going to work up a load for the 147 ELD M and see if that bullet lives up to its hype with elk.

If I get drawn for some special elk hunt somewhere besides WY I may take something else...probably my .300 H&H, but one never knows.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
.280 with 140gr Accubond
or
6.5x55 with 140gr Partition

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Next is my solo DIY bull hunt in New Mexico. Third time in there dodging bears and cats - I don't like cats. Probably be the Kimber Montana 6.5CM with a 143 ELD-X or a Scenar for something new to try. I am #1 on the NRA Whittington Center elk list but opted out to 2020 - they already starting calling hunters. I like personal challenges.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.