Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Without a paycheck?

Keeping your current 'lifestyle'(and not using credit or selling assets) how long could you survive on your savings?

Pending no unusual/unforeseen expenses my wife would be okay for 6-7 months.

Ten years ago we might have made it 2 weeks.....

This REALLY makes a guy think about the funds needed for retirement.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Quite a while, between the freezer and canned and stashed food, wouldn’t have to hit a store for quite some time. Keep a stash of booze too!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hmmm...not using credit eh?

Just cash on hand?

Zero days.

I am MAGA.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yeah, it varies. those better off by good fortune, birth, job, etc. will last longer than those not so well off at the starting gate.

in the army i made about 100 per month, involuntary servitude, but i was being paid.

and they fed me, give me a bed & shelter. medical care was a bit iffy.

when a soldier's family follows them into battle, it's tough.

it's better to pay cash, or just do without.

we can live by receiving gifts from heredity, from working, from stealing, and from gov't largesse.

we can eat, and find shelter, and somebody always pays.

paychecks is a form of lifeblood. blood is essential, especially when it's flowing.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hopefully, until I kick the bucket.

Dale

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
at the moment about 3 months

I'd be eating alot of rice and beans

Last edited by KFWA; 01/12/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Schit. There have been a bunch of years where we lost money.

In the black a couple times...like twice. Wasn't even enough to make a pickup payment.

Other years were break even.

Everything I have is in the land and livestock....everything.

Hmmmmm....gives you a little pause to think about it Sam!

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
6 months.......with no extras like eating out, and road trips.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Schit. There have been a bunch of years where we lost money.

In the black a couple times...like twice. Wasn't even enough to make a pickup payment.

Other years were break even.

Everything I have is in the land and livestock....everything.

Hmmmmm....gives you a little pause to think about it Sam!

That is a scary place to be.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, you're starting to sound like my father.....grin

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Without social security payments, and somewhat conservative ( no Vegas trips, African hunts, etc.)....about 20 to 25 years! Assuming the market doesn’t crash badly! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cutting back on luxuries like extra rigs, cable, cell phones, needless trips, vacations, club dues, several subscriptions, etc, and relying solely on liquid savings about 3 years. Insurance and taxes are the big bills.

About 10+ years if we started dipping into IRA's and other retirement funds.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/12/19.

1Minute
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even though I spend money like a drunk sailor, I was fortunate to have soldiers much smarter about money/investments. So they helped me, I have a money for that oh [bleep] times. Unlike my days on the rez where we spend our paycheck in 2 days and didn't have two nickels to rub together.. that lifestyle/culture I grew up in no such thing as a savings acct for majority of us..

Last edited by 79S; 01/12/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not borrowing? Not long.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what I need to take and the resistance encountered.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I do not do credit, am debt free, so, will be ok for awhile

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We could live off my wifes. If we both suddenly were unemployed we could do fine till we found other jobs. She is old enough to draw her IRA but we would spend a lot different than we do now

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been struggling with addictions most of my life. It's been killing my finances and I've never had the courage to face it until now. This probably isn't the place to confess anything personal LOL. That hasn't worked out real well in the past, but I really want to make this right, and this is the time and place to finally end it.

I've been thinking alot about how my life would be different today if I'd been free of them. It's no fun being a slave to your impulses. I expect everyone here to make a big joke of it, rub salt in the wound. There's some real heartless bastards on here.

How many vacations could I have taken my family on by now if I hadn't completely blown it all these years? It seems like financial decisions get put off because I just have to have my fix. I've tried to get help. Went thru a 12 step program twice, didn't take either time. Now, I just need to man up and kick this thing. I've got an extra 20 pounds and a good sleeping bag, I need to move out to that spot under the bridge and shake this addiction to food and shelter before it ruins my life.

Thanks, you guys have given me the courage to make this important decision.

Maybe I'll run into Middlefork Miner and we can share a PBR. I'd really like that.

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/12/19.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am retired and live on proceeds from investments which are in moderate to conservative vehicles. I can go until I die.

living the good life every day
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I've been struggling with addictions most of my life. It's been killing my finances and I've never had the courage to face it until now. This probably isn't the place to confess anything personal LOL. That hasn't worked out real well in the past, but I really want to make this right, and this is the time and place to finally end it.

I've been thinking alot about how my life would be different today if I'd been free of them. It's no fun being a slave to your impulses. I expect everyone here to make a big joke of it, rub salt in the wound. There's some real heartless bastards on here.

How many vacations could I have taken my family on by now if I hadn't completely blown it all these years? It seems like financial decisions get put off because I just have to have my fix. I've tried to get help. Went thru a 12 step program twice, didn't take either time. Now, I just need to man up and kick this thing. I've got an extra 20 ponds and a good sleeping bag, I need to move out to that spot under the bridge and shake this addiction to food and shelter before it ruins my life.

Thanks, you guys have given me the courage to make this important decision.

Maybe I'll run into Middlefork Miner and we can share a PBR. I'd really like that.

And Deflave will by to bag on you and how your ol lady logged on 24 hour called you lazy and was it worthless who knows, I never read that whole thing your ol lady posted about you. You will get your tit in a ringer, try to do battle of whits with him lose as usual and slink off into the night.. it's the usual wash dry and repeat..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 204guy, 73 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,512 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,478
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.