Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My Granddad shot a buck in 1947 and the rack hung in the family deer camp in Northern Wisconsin for decades. I always admired it and when the camp was sold my Dad's oldest brother took possession. Over the years I had seen it at his farm house hanging in the mud room. He passed away a year and a half ago, but I have not thought about that rack since.

My wife picked up Aunt Elle from her place and brought her to our place for Christmas dinner and she gave me the buck rack with a ribbon on it. She reminded me that I was the last living person to hunt out of the old deer camp. Got it hanging in my shop now.

[Linked Image]

1946 deer camp gang first time they were together since World War II. My Granddad is second from left holding a Savage 99.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smiling here!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a cool remembrance. When our camp in Pennsylvania changes hands, there's gonna be some stuff like that coming home with me too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty cool.

I recall stories of my grandfather heading to northern WI because we had no deer.
Oh my, how things have changed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for posting, I very much enjoy the old pictures of the men that set the tradition for all of us to follow.

I have a picture of my own grandfather holding a Savage 99 in a Michigan deer camp in the late 40's or very early 50's holding a doe's head up. Not sure of the year, but my grandmother said my grandfather never did kill a deer with the Savage 99 but would be like him to take credit for a deer he didn't kill. I have my grandfathers Savage 99 and the rifle still is bloodless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
That's pretty cool.

I recall stories of my grandfather heading to northern WI because we had no deer.
Oh my, how things have changed.
Dad used to talk about the deer hunts from when he was a kid in north eastern Pa. They'd take a train in as far as it went, which meant they had to change from a passenger train to a logging train heading back into the woods. At the end of the line they hired a horse team to take them the rest of the way into their camp. It was a permanent camp on a 99 year lease. From there they hunted for the duration of the season. Deer were scarce, so if they cut a track, they'd stay with it, overnight if necessary to try to bring the deer in front of the guns. They all most all carried shotguns, as not many of the men could afford rifles. Dad said the first rifle that he remembered seeing in that camp was a 30-40 Krag. They lived for a couple weeks on whatever they could shoot or trap. Oppossums, coons, rabbits, squirrels, and of course deer meat if they got one. Great stories from a bygone era.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Thanks for posting, I very much enjoy the old pictures of the men that set the tradition for all of us to follow.

I have a picture of my own grandfather holding a Savage 99 in a Michigan deer camp in the late 40's or very early 50's holding a doe's head up. Not sure of the year, but my grandmother said my grandfather never did kill a deer with the Savage 99 but would be like him to take credit for a deer he didn't kill. I have my grandfathers Savage 99 and the rifle still is bloodless.

If it is any consolation, I have a safe full of rifles with that status.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
About perfect😁

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Brought a smile to my face and a nice, warm feeling to my outlook. Reminds me of the few pictures like that I have of my own grandfather. Perfect Christmas present of the very best kind..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's really cool, something to hold on to.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Could not ask for something better!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is way cool.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love it. Got my granddads buck as well. Nailed up to the barn, later brought inside. I always asked him for it when I was a kid. He’d always tell me “one day...”.

He passed away while I was in college. We all gathered at the old house for the get together and funeral. First thing I did was grab that set of antlers and get em to my truck. Had em mounted with a replacement cape and shield made from one of their hand hewn long leaf pine shelves from their corner cupboard. Turned out well. The shelves were retrieved by my dad years earlier when the house was to be demolished because of a lake built over the whole valley.

Last edited by Godogs57; 01/14/19.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool! Glad you ended up with the rack.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m glad you ended up with it. Do you have someone to pass it on to??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool, how far north were they in Wisconsin? I see a model 86 as well.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
What a wonderful Christmas present! Wouldn't you love to be able to go back in time and chat with your granddad and the others about that hunt? It was so thoughtful of your aunt to do what she did.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Happy she gave you the rack! Id have a copy of the pic made and hang that with the rack!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,110
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.