Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Originally Posted by Brad
Here is where the 7 mag and other flat shooters have the advantage, being able to kill a trophy that comes out on the opposing side of the valley floor or on the opposing side of a large park, when you have only a few minutes of daylight left, and don’t have the time to close the gap.

And when they come out across a valley from you on the valley floor, with nothing but valley floor separating the two of you, no matter how much daylight is left, sometimes you can close the gap, and sometimes not depending on the terrain.

Lastly, you never know where your future hunting will be as far as being invited, getting a group together, etc, so why limit yourself in a future unknown hunting terrain with a cartridge.

Been reading Outdoor Life on the chitter again?

Atleast I’m reading something while on the thrown versus you having video sex with other males or taking and texting male anatomy pictures to some of your girlieman friends on here.

Wow. Quite the fantasy life you have.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tzone
A buddy and I were having a few cold ones after work today. We got to talkin about hunting elk in a few years as he has a contact in CO and asked if I’d be interested. Neither on of us had ever shot an elk. I was telling him about the new M700 I was looking at and said I was thinking about a .270 since it’s been so long since I’ve had one. He said I “need” a mag if we head west.

Now I know damn well I don’t need a mag and was showing him some ballistics that pretty much meant nothing since he has a 7mag for deer that’s what he’d use for elk too.

I have plenty of others I could use, but not a .270 or 7mag.

For those of you that have used them on elk, which one?

No, you don't need a "mag". You need a rifle you have faith in, you shoot well and has a trusted sighting system. I've tagged out on elk from a 6.5CM to a 338W and the lesson learned is: to put a "good bullet" in the right place at a distance you feel confident in. I have to say that a lot of elk came home after facing the wrath of blue box ammo from a .270 Win.. Hint................

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Here is where the 7 mag and other flat shooters have the advantage, being able to kill a trophy that comes out on the opposing side of the valley floor or on the opposing side of a large park, when you have only a few minutes of daylight left, and don’t have the time to close the gap.

And when they come out across a valley from you on the valley floor, with nothing but valley floor separating the two of you, no matter how much daylight is left, sometimes you can close the gap, and sometimes not depending on the terrain.

Lastly, you never know where your future hunting will be as far as being invited, getting a group together, etc, so why limit yourself in a future unknown hunting terrain with a cartridge.

Been reading Outdoor Life on the chitter again?

Atleast I’m reading something while on the throne versus you having video sex with other males or taking and texting male anatomy pictures to some of your girlieman friends on here.

Wow. Quite the fantasy life you have.

Glad to see you don't deny it.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 01/15/19.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Jordan,
I used a 10 mph wind to compare the 270 and 7 mag because that's the standard for wind drift comparison. Well aware that winds are variable in the real world. You're right about the 6.5 Creedmoor with sleek bullets....the round is a great "why not both" answer to wanting good performance in the wind with modest recoil.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ElkSlayer

One sits on a throne, and could get thrown off a horse... cool

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Nothing wrong with a .270 Win for elk, although if using factory loads I'd probably opt for a 150g bullet.

Here is a comparison of the .270 Win/150g LRAB load I developed for Daughter #1's .270 Win (22" bbl) and a 7mm RM/ 68g LRAB using Nosler data for a 24" barrel. Calculations at 7000 feet altitude, MPBR zero for a 6" target (maximum 3" rise from LOS),

At 600 yards:
Have given some thought to switching the 7mm to a high B.C. bullet like the 150g LRAB (.546 G1) or ELD-X (.574 G1), but I have enough 140g and 160g hunting loads on the shelf to last my lifetime. The .270 Win/150LRAB outperforms them in terms of calculated ballistics but they work just fine

Shouldn’t you compare apples to apples: 270 150g vs. 7mm 150g?

At 600 yards:

.270 Win/150 LRAB @ 2910fps,
254 yds = zero point
300 yds = MPBR
52.6" = drop
2234fps - velocity
1662fpe = energy
15.5" = drift
17.7 ft-lbs recoil

7mm RM/150 LRAB @ 3248fps,
280 yds = zero point
330ish yds = MPBR
39.9" = drop
2457fps - velocity
2010fpe = energy
14.8" = drift
XX.X ft-lbs recoil (who cares what the recoil is? You don’t feel it in hunting situations when you pull the trigger, especially with winter hunting cloths on for additional padding)

I know petite teenage girls who shoot their father’s 7mags. It is sad to see grown men cry on this site about recoil.

I like the 150g LRAB even better than the 168g for the 7mm RM. I chose the 168 for comparison because I shot 160g bullets for many (20+) years and still have a good stash of them. (Along with the 140's I've been shooting more recently.) As I mentioned in my original post, I've considered switching to the 150g LRAB or ELD-X.

Who cares about recoil? I do. And my daughters do. We see no reason to put up with more recoil than necessary to reliably achieve the goal, which is why the big boomers rarely go to the range. I've hit clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm using my .338WM, .300WM, a .30-06, 6.5-06AI and .257 Roberts. And maybe my .243. The light kickers are definitely more fun to shoot and easier to shoot accurately. Especially so for my daughters.

The .270 load is for Daughter #1, who is more sensitive to recoil than the other two. She will do far more shooting at the range than in the field. In comparing the 150g LRAB for the .270 and 7mm RM, using my 2910fps load for the .270 and Nosler's 3248fps for the 7mm RM, the 7mm RM does have a 12.7" advantage in drop but the advantage in drift, which is much more difficult to adjust for, is only 0.7" using your 14.8" figure for the 7mm RM. (My calculator says 14.5", for a 1.0" difference.) Both cartridges deliver more than enough velocity and energy at 600 yards to kill elk cleanly. The important difference for Daughter #1 is the difference in recoil - a calculated 17.7 ft-lbs for her .270 vs. 23.4 ft-lbs for the 7mm RM - a 32% increase in recoil with no practical increase in killing capability. (You can only kill them dead - there is no 'deader'.) I don't have a .270 and the 150g for my 7mm RM is tempting.

Developing my "Rhino Blaster" loads (460g hardcast @ 1812fps) for my Marlin .45-70 was done in a tee-shirt with the Marlin's original hard buttplate. That's a calculated 51.4 foot-lbs at a snappy 21.7fps, repeated about 30 times in one bench session. No crying, but I'm not dumb enough to do it that way again.

As far as my girls and recoil, Daughter #2 doesn't hunt and probably hasn't shot anything larger than my 6.5-06AI, which she prefers. Daughter #3 has shot everything including the .45-70 with the aforementioned "Rhino Blaster" loads. She normally shoots my .257 Roberts. Daughter #1 has shot a variety of my rifles, normally shoots her .308 Win and killed her buck last year with her hubby's .300WSM. She thought the .50 BMG she shot at the range was a lot of fun, but that was one shot, not a range session checking zero, drops out to 600 and practice from various positions. No crying from any of them, just practical, well-reasoned choices for their preferences.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow. Just funnin you a little. Chill. Please forgive. Yer taking this stuff way too serious. Auto correct trips us all up at times. A

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Nothing wrong with a .270 Win for elk, although if using factory loads I'd probably opt for a 150g bullet.

Here is a comparison of the .270 Win/150g LRAB load I developed for Daughter #1's .270 Win (22" bbl) and a 7mm RM/ 68g LRAB using Nosler data for a 24" barrel. Calculations at 7000 feet altitude, MPBR zero for a 6" target (maximum 3" rise from LOS),

At 600 yards:
Have given some thought to switching the 7mm to a high B.C. bullet like the 150g LRAB (.546 G1) or ELD-X (.574 G1), but I have enough 140g and 160g hunting loads on the shelf to last my lifetime. The .270 Win/150LRAB outperforms them in terms of calculated ballistics but they work just fine

Shouldn’t you compare apples to apples: 270 150g vs. 7mm 150g?

At 600 yards:

.270 Win/150 LRAB @ 2910fps,
254 yds = zero point
300 yds = MPBR
52.6" = drop
2234fps - velocity
1662fpe = energy
15.5" = drift
17.7 ft-lbs recoil

7mm RM/150 LRAB @ 3248fps,
280 yds = zero point
330ish yds = MPBR
39.9" = drop
2457fps - velocity
2010fpe = energy
14.8" = drift
XX.X ft-lbs recoil (who cares what the recoil is? You don’t feel it in hunting situations when you pull the trigger, especially with winter hunting cloths on for additional padding)

I know petite teenage girls who shoot their father’s 7mags. It is sad to see grown men cry on this site about recoil.

I like the 150g LRAB even better than the 168g for the 7mm RM. I chose the 168 for comparison because I shot 160g bullets for many (20+) years and still have a good stash of them. (Along with the 140's I've been shooting more recently.) As I mentioned in my original post, I've considered switching to the 150g LRAB or ELD-X.

Who cares about recoil? I do. And my daughters do. We see no reason to put up with more recoil than necessary to reliably achieve the goal, which is why the big boomers rarely go to the range. I've hit clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm using my .338WM, .300WM, a .30-06, 6.5-06AI and .257 Roberts. And maybe my .243. The light kickers are definitely more fun to shoot and easier to shoot accurately. Especially so for my daughters.

The .270 load is for Daughter #1, who is more sensitive to recoil than the other two. She will do far more shooting at the range than in the field. In comparing the 150g LRAB for the .270 and 7mm RM, using my 2910fps load for the .270 and Nosler's 3248fps for the 7mm RM, the 7mm RM does have a 12.7" advantage in drop but the advantage in drift, which is much more difficult to adjust for, is only 0.7" using your 14.8" figure for the 7mm RM. (My calculator says 14.5", for a 1.0" difference.) Both cartridges deliver more than enough velocity and energy at 600 yards to kill elk cleanly. The important difference for Daughter #1 is the difference in recoil - a calculated 17.7 ft-lbs for her .270 vs. 23.4 ft-lbs for the 7mm RM - a 32% increase in recoil with no practical increase in killing capability. (You can only kill them dead - there is no 'deader'.) I don't have a .270 and the 150g for my 7mm RM is tempting.

Developing my "Rhino Blaster" loads (460g hardcast @ 1812fps) for my Marlin .45-70 was done in a tee-shirt with the Marlin's original hard buttplate. That's a calculated 51.4 foot-lbs at a snappy 21.7fps, repeated about 30 times in one bench session. No crying, but I'm not dumb enough to do it that way again.

As far as my girls and recoil, Daughter #2 doesn't hunt and probably hasn't shot anything larger than my 6.5-06AI, which she prefers. Daughter #3 has shot everything including the .45-70 with the aforementioned "Rhino Blaster" loads. She normally shoots my .257 Roberts. Daughter #1 has shot a variety of my rifles, normally shoots her .308 Win and killed her buck last year with her hubby's .300WSM. She thought the .50 BMG she shot at the range was a lot of fun, but that was one shot, not a range session checking zero, drops out to 600 and practice from various positions. No crying from any of them, just practical, well-reasoned choices for their preferences.

I appreciate your long post. The thread was about hunting, not a lengthy range session. I did see your reference to 150 LRAB, but there was no ballistics posted for comparison sake.

I fully understand and agree with your position on recoil for anyone, long shooting sessions, versus hunting: 1-2 shot, where a person enjoys rather than hate.

I can also understand how recoil would play into a choice on a man having Uncle arthritis or an injury. My “who cares about recoil” reference is for a fit man with a thick hunting jacket who will only pull the trigger 1-2 times when hunting, hopefully.

I’d shoot your 140’s and 160’s up you have loaded, rather than switch to building up a load for the 150’s unless you just want something to do.

I hope you and your family continue to enjoy your shooting, and hunting.

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A few comments...

1. The .270 Win load I developed for Daughter #1 beats the snot out of the 7mm RM load I used for 20+ years, which was very effective for killing elk. It isn't the headstamp that counts but the performance of individual loads.

2. Most hunters are in no way prepared for shots much past 300 yards, regardless of the terrain or the cartridge they are using.

3. A hunter is not limiting themselves if they are not prepared to shoot past the capability of the cartridge they are using. Given the ability of commonly used cartridges and average hunters, most are not are limiting themselves regardless of their cartridge choice.

Case in point, we spotted elk at 1100 yards this year. Neither Daughter #1 or her hubby had ever taken an elk and none of use were prepared for a shot that long. We closed to 476 yards, at an altitude (~8500 feet) and wind conditions (essentially none) where Daughter's .308 Win/130g TTSX @ 3045fps MV would have been adequate. While would have been quite happy to take the shot, Daughter #1 was not comfortable shooting at that range. By the time we closed to her comfort range the elk were gone.

Granted, I used this event as an excuse to get her a .270 Win and develop a 150g LRAB load that delivers elk-killing velocity and energy (2000fps and 1500fpe is my rule of thumb) to 700 yards. In future situations, neither a 7mm RM with a 150g LRAB or a .300 WM / 190g LRAB would offer any advantage, although they would extend the 2000fps/1500fpe range to 850 yards and over 1000 yards respectively. The limiting factor will be our level of preparedness, which is in large part determined by a) the longest range at my local club - 600 yards, b) our choice of scopes and c) time spent practicing.

There is one other thing to consider - recoil. The .270 Win/150g LRAB load I developed for my daughter has a calculated recoil of 17.7 ft-lbs. The 7mm RM/150g LRAB has a calculated recoil of 23.4 ft-lbs and the .300 WM/190g LRAB recoils at 36.8 ft-lbs. Although the .270 load will drop about 8" more than the others, the difference in drift is only 2.5". I'll take the 8" and 2.5", you can have the recoil. smile

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/14/19.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
TZ, You’d be good to go with a 270 as long as your wearing flaming flame retardant orange from head to boot. Might I suggest dropping a little more horsepower in the engine by ramping up to a 270 WSM. You’ll find some decent BC bullets from Nosler LRAB’s. May give you some extra MPH. 😎

laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I appreciate your long post. The thread was about hunting, not a lengthy range session. I did see your reference to 150 LRAB, but there was no ballistics posted for comparison sake.

I fully understand and agree with your position on recoil for anyone, long shooting sessions, versus hunting: 1-2 shot, where a person enjoys rather than hate.

I can also understand how recoil would play into a choice on a man having Uncle arthritis or an injury. My “who cares about recoil” reference is for a fit man with a thick hunting jacket who will only pull the trigger 1-2 times when hunting, hopefully.

I’d shoot your 140’s and 160’s up you have loaded, rather than switch to building up a load for the 150’s unless you just want something to do.

Thanks.. I hope you and yours do the same.

A hunter that doesn't spend time at the range cannot be well prepared for the long shots. Heck, many hunters I've seen are not well-prepared regardless. smile

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

A few comments...

1. The .270 Win load I developed for Daughter #1 beats the snot out of the 7mm RM load I used for 20+ years, which was very effective for killing elk. It isn't the headstamp that counts but the performance of individual loads.

2. Most hunters are in no way prepared for shots much past 300 yards, regardless of the terrain or the cartridge they are using.

3. A hunter is not limiting themselves if they are not prepared to shoot past the capability of the cartridge they are using. Given the ability of commonly used cartridges and average hunters, most are not are limiting themselves regardless of their cartridge choice.

Case in point, we spotted elk at 1100 yards this year. Neither Daughter #1 or her hubby had ever taken an elk and none of use were prepared for a shot that long. We closed to 476 yards, at an altitude (~8500 feet) and wind conditions (essentially none) where Daughter's .308 Win/130g TTSX @ 3045fps MV would have been adequate. While would have been quite happy to take the shot, Daughter #1 was not comfortable shooting at that range. By the time we closed to her comfort range the elk were gone.

Granted, I used this event as an excuse to get her a .270 Win and develop a 150g LRAB load that delivers elk-killing velocity and energy (2000fps and 1500fpe is my rule of thumb) to 700 yards. In future situations, neither a 7mm RM with a 150g LRAB or a .300 WM / 190g LRAB would offer any advantage, although they would extend the 2000fps/1500fpe range to 850 yards and over 1000 yards respectively. The limiting factor will be our level of preparedness, which is in large part determined by a) the longest range at my local club - 600 yards, b) our choice of scopes and c) time spent practicing.

There is one other thing to consider - recoil. The .270 Win/150g LRAB load I developed for my daughter has a calculated recoil of 17.7 ft-lbs. The 7mm RM/150g LRAB has a calculated recoil of 23.4 ft-lbs and the .300 WM/190g LRAB recoils at 36.8 ft-lbs. Although the .270 load will drop about 8" more than the others, the difference in drift is only 2.5". I'll take the 8" and 2.5", you can have the recoil. smile

Good times afield chasing Elk with family makes for great stories the grandchildren will enjoy hearing, even when the Elk get away.

Have fun practicing at 600 yds to get more comfortable. Shooting a boomstick is fun.

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Thanks.. I hope you and yours do the same.

A hunter that doesn't spend time at the range cannot be well prepared for the long shots. Heck, many hunters I've seen are not well-prepared regardless. smile

Just when they've mastered Buck Fever, they have to start from scratch again to now handle Elk Fever...no matter how prepared they are.

"He is far from Stupid"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jesus Christ, it turns into wind, blah blah blah..... take your 270 elk HUNTING for fuucks sake..... my god

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh and the nemesis, the almighty "recoil", that everyone feels while killing game.... Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Only .270 that holds a candle to a 7mm Weatherby is a .270 Weatherby Magnum. Get over it.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by southtexas
Wow. Just funnin you a little. Chill. Please forgive. Yer taking this stuff way too serious. Auto correct trips us all up at times. A

I saw what you were referencing on the "throne", where I used the wrong word from being tired and on edge, from being screwed with by Brad.

I deleted it.

I’m truly sorry for snapping at you. Please accept my sincere apology.

"He is far from Stupid"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now that tzone has received a "wealth" of info, I trust he already has what he needs. Rather he may evaluate his equipment for a western hunt and upgrade one or two items. For example, does he have proper footwear for terrain he may not be familiar with? Is his daypack suitable for daily use with adequate
volume for needed gear? This may be an opportunity to consider a higher grade of binocular. Or do you need an upgraded sleeping bag? Money spent here may be far more appropriate than another rifle.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/15/19.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[quote=Jordan Smith]
As they say in poker, here's the nuts.

And you can kick that 20 mph up to 40-60, 70 mph when it starts blowing snow sideways at the higher elevations.

Great post Jordan.

So when elk hunting, one needs to take into account 70mph winds when selecting a rifle, load, and shooting practice. I will make sure I schedule range time during our next hurricane.

Honestly, I have never shot an elk, but many on this board make it out to be a lot harder than it really is.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1OntarioJim, 160user, 1minute, 10Glocks, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,651
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.