Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Let's say I can get the same rifle (in my case, the Howa Varminter Supreme) in either blued or stainless, but the stainless costs approx. $100 more.
Are there any advantages to going with the stainless barrel and action other than looks? I would suspect there's not a BIG difference with rust issues in a rifle that's well taken care of.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never lived in a saltwater locale that gets 180+ inches of rain a year have ya...........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer stainless because I can ignore serious oiling/cleaning during hunting season... little wipe down here or there and it stays rust-free. Also, every decade or so I can have a stainless rifle re-beadblasted to look new.

I actually prefer the look of a matte/blued rifle better than stainless. Any rifle that's taken care of properly won't rust, even on area's void of bluing. I coat the stock-hidden portions of my rifles with floor wax before the season and have never had a rust problem below stock level despite all manner of snow, ice and rain.

Stainless, for me, is just a bit easier.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like the the black look much better also. I love what CAS did to the Bumblebee...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm trying Olive on my current project. Stainless and all.

MC

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Never lived in a saltwater locale that gets 180+ inches of rain a year have ya...........

Lake Erie is saltwater????????????????

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stainless (or perhaps more accurately stain-resistant) is a must in wet areas or near the coats unless you are fanatical. If you pull your rifle out of the stock to clean it, you are probably GTG for carbon.

When I lived in Western Oregon, my gun of choice was stainless/synthetic because tyou were going to get rained on/wet during hunting season.

Now I live in a nice dry area. And I do love polished blue and wood.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Is it dry there today?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out a stainless Chief's Special that sees regular carry use as compared to a blued version of the same. Which one looks like hell? Stainless is less prone to wear, pit, and corrode. It just makes things easier. I don't have to have all stainless construction but I am coverting all my rifles over to SS barrels.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a stainless 700, 338 win mag, for about 15 years. I may have cleaned it once, not sure I've ever oiled it. I hunt in the wet NW and pay more attention to keeping my scope fog free than my rifle rust free.

I'm not saying this is the best way to care for a rifle, but it's nice to know that if you get busy and forget to wipe it down immediately after coming back from a hunt that you're not going to end up with a spotted receiver and barrel.

J

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jasonkjasonk
I'm not saying this is the best way to care for a rifle

Definitely not grin !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you're living in water world, I'd personally say that there is no need unless you just like the color of silver.

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I agree with Jason.

A morning hunt in the Rain is great if you can then leave the rifle muzzle down on a cloth.

I clean after serious falls in the mud, or after accuracy pukes. Otherwise, maintenance is an offseason chore with stainless.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Is it dry there today?

Snow this morning, but it's all gone. I see you got dumped on. Happy spring.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Any reason to go with "stainless"...other than looks?"

If you spend enough days hunting in wet conditions without a dry truck or cabin to dry your gear out, you will answer that question for yourself. Stainless is not a must but it sure makes it easier in the firearm maintenance department. I have had blued guns that rusted in 48 hours on wet hunts even though I was trying to wipe them down and keep them dry, it's just a lot more work protecting blued guns. I, like some of the other guys like the black look better than stainless and believe that for ultimate rust protection one of the bake on Teflon Kotes is the best of both worlds.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Never knew DEEEtroit was in the ocean... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Let's say I can get the same rifle (in my case, the Howa Varminter Supreme) in either blued or stainless, but the stainless costs approx. $100 more.
Are there any advantages to going with the stainless barrel and action other than looks? I would suspect there's not a BIG difference with rust issues in a rifle that's well taken care of.

Ok, seriously now, there are some advantages to SS. If you're hunting in a very wet environment or conditions that are rainy but you can't get at your cleaning supplies for a while, it makes a difference. SS also can take a few more rounds down the pipe before a rebarrel is necessary.

Personally, I don't mind blued actions/barrels, but then I'm kinda anal about cleaning and oiling things down immediately after a day's hunt. My only real beef with SS is that it's like holding a lit flashlight in your hands if you're hauling it around during a moonlit night before sunup.. Then, it's 'Duracoat' time..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have read that SS is softer than CS(less carbon), thus wears quicker (barrels get shot out sooner). My gunsmith also told me this was true. Comments?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Down South here (I'm in GA), the humidity can get pretty fierce. For that, I prefer stainless, although taking care of a blued gun will keep it in good condition also.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Stainless is king for a hunting rifle in my opinion. Just bringing a cold gun inside a warm car or house causes it to get wet, and that means pitting in the bore unless you are oiling it down every night.

I have had a few friends hunt AK, and they said it was impossible to keep up with the rain etc, everything was wet. One friend had to have his gun reblued when he got back because it got so rusty. Needless to say, he went and bought a stainless for this year. After a day of hunting, I want to eat and go to sleep, not clean rifles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 50 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,360
Posts18,506,334
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.