Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
How about thinking about a 4-way lug wrench? You are pulling up on one bar while pushing down on the opposite one to increase power torque.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
How about thinking about a 4-way lug wrench? You are pulling up on one bar while pushing down on the opposite one to increase power torque.

Thanks - see my first post on this thread. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hard to believe that there has not been a dyno test on pedal power to determine the best stroking technique to produce the best/most torque..............

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

the hill doesn't change anything but it does give you an opportunity to place a really heavy demand on your legs for a while without necessarily spinning out. But any maximum acceleration effort will give you the chance to really feel the difference.

When riding on a relatively flat route at a sustained speed, pulling up isn't such a big deal, but unweighting the pedal on the upswing (i.e., lifting your leg instead of letting it be pushed up by the pedal) matters a great deal in the long run. Clips help immensely with that.

Concentrate on making your feet go in circles, not just up and down.

You would be far better off asking advice rather than giving it. You obviously have only the slightest clue of the whole system.

Really? Would you like to race?

School us all on "the whole system"

There is another problem for you... how are thinking and riding related?

The whole system as in the full rotation which is not opposing forces but rather two points in the same system doing the same things at different times during the cycle. If they were truly opposing forces your stronger leg would do only slightly better than the other and you would stay pretty much at a standstill.

At one point in time each of my thighs was only slightly smaller than my waist.

We used to call chicks built like that "thunder thighs"... 🤣

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How about thinking about a 4-way lug wrench? You are pulling up on one bar while pushing down on the opposite one to increase power.

Hmmmmm. On the surface, that example doesn't cause me as much dissonance.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
It also helps that you are spreading the workload over more muscles. I used to ride distances and it helps. It also helps to alternate legs and ride with only one foot clipped in. You'd be surprised at the speed that you can keep up for short distances. I used to ride a 1/10 of a mile with each foot alternating for at least a mile, total.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am a furloughed non-essential federal employee sitting around with not much to do on a gray cool winter day. As some of you may recall, I enjoy bicycling. It's one of my favorite passtimes. I participate in bike forums. A question that often arises in those discussions is whether the kind of shoes that clip or latch onto pedals make a difference.

Just me , but I'm thinkin' either one will only enhance the 'road-rash' on the knees when ya take a dump... laugh

More power to ya, PB... But I gave up bicycles about one second after I got my drivers' license.. Ride safe, sir..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a great site to post this question is : https://physics.stackexchange.com/

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muffin
Hard to believe that there has not been a dyno test on pedal power to determine the best stroking technique to produce the best/most torque..............

There are a number of tests that have been done. Most of it shows that there is no power added on the upstroke in most riding conditions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cli...327j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.bikejames.com/strength/why-pulling-up-doesnt-add-to-your-pedal-stroke-power/

This is a comment from one of the links.

"Research has shown that even if you think you're pulling up on the upstroke, you're not. The pedal is actually pushing your foot up via the force created by your opposite leg pushing down."

That's where this question enters my mind. If you were able to apply a greater force on the upstroke than the downstroke, then wouldn't you just be dragging the downstroke leg down with the greater force of the upstroke?

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by muffin

I'm certain USA Cycling has researched all aspects of bicycle riding and racing.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
I am a furloughed non-essential federal employee sitting around with not much to do on a gray cool winter day. As some of you may recall, I enjoy bicycling. It's one of my favorite passtimes. I participate in bike forums. A question that often arises in those discussions is whether the kind of shoes that clip or latch onto pedals make a difference.

Just me , but I'm thinkin' either one will only enhance the 'road-rash' on the knees when ya take a dump... laugh

More power to ya, PB... But I gave up bicycles about one second after I got my drivers' license.. Ride safe, sir..

Thanks for the well wishes. I am a courteous and alert rider. When we take to the streets, irrespective of our manner of transport, we assume risk. When you look at bicycle fatality data, you immediately identify what you can do to reduce risk. Don't ride drunk or impaired. Don't ride at night without lights. Don't ride against traffic. Don't ride on sidewalks. Those things alone cut the risk in half. I take other measures to reduce the risk to a level that is acceptable to me on the roads I ride on. Even then, all it takes is one texting motorist and my number is up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Al_Ski

the hill doesn't change anything but it does give you an opportunity to place a really heavy demand on your legs for a while without necessarily spinning out. But any maximum acceleration effort will give you the chance to really feel the difference.

When riding on a relatively flat route at a sustained speed, pulling up isn't such a big deal, but unweighting the pedal on the upswing (i.e., lifting your leg instead of letting it be pushed up by the pedal) matters a great deal in the long run. Clips help immensely with that.

Concentrate on making your feet go in circles, not just up and down.

You would be far better off asking advice rather than giving it. You obviously have only the slightest clue of the whole system.

Really? Would you like to race?

School us all on "the whole system"

There is another problem for you... how are thinking and riding related?

The whole system as in the full rotation which is not opposing forces but rather two points in the same system doing the same things at different times during the cycle. If they were truly opposing forces your stronger leg would do only slightly better than the other and you would stay pretty much at a standstill.

At one point in time each of my thighs was only slightly smaller than my waist.

We used to call chicks built like that "thunder thighs"... 🤣

Mine were very flattened side to side, just very deep...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Reading thru for the first time and I could not wait to get to the last post to chip in, but 5sdad brought up the the lug wrench example for me.

I think that alternating pulling/pushing and pushing/ pulling simultaneously with 2 legs would require just the opposite forces with 2 arms.
I think it would take a lot of training to keep the upward force from detracting from the downward force for a net increase of torque.
Sounds like a lot of work to me. Heck I got a work out just reading thru this.

Also, torque does not care if you are going uphill, down hill or upside down.

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 01/15/19.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am not a bike racer, but am a spinning instructor, part of the course to be certified is the kinematics of the whole system, and how to address it and strengthen it with drills during a spinning class.

There are not opposing forces, you can make the pedals go round with either foot, you are turning a crank, so using both feet is additive. Proper riding technique is not really a pull up/push down pattern, but to use the full 360 degrees of crank, you have more power potential at different points depending on the part of the cycle. Top riders use the full 360 degrees of power.

This is why it's faster, in most cases, for a rider to stay in the seat and power through it. It does pay benefits to stand and pedal, where you can get some benefit of the full power stroke, but on the down part you are adding your body weight to the crank. While standing it's MUCH harder to do more than the push down portion of the cycle, but with the added force of body weight, it's a good tradeoff under heaviest of loads (also a way to give some muscles a short break).

If you watch top riders, the upper body doesn't move, this shows they are using full cyclical force. When you start to loose form and go more to the "push down" model, the upper body starts to sway to get more leverage for the push, once that happens you can't really get full 360 degrees of force of either leg.

Being clipped in helps!

I routinely will have a spinning class pedal only with 25% of the cycle and focus on just that, so for 30 seconds you ONLY apply pressure on down stroke (call in 1 to 5 oclock), then the upstroke only (7 to 10), then the "over the top (10-2) and finally the "across the bottom" (5 to 7).

Uses very different muscles in each group.

Last edited by Bob_H_in_NH; 01/15/19.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Raeford

LeRoy, where do you do most of your riding? Flat, hilly or mountain?

Depends on where I am at any particular time of the year, but mostly pretty flat I suppose.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by mathman

An explanation in a bit more detail might help. Torque is simply a twisting force that makes something rotate, which is different from the linear or up/down force the OP mentioned in the original question. A basic calculation for torque is a liner force x how far away from the axis of rotation the linear force is applied.

When you sit on a bike and pedal, you are turning the spindle the crank arms are attached to, which is generating a twisting force that makes the spindle rotate. The torque equation applied to pedaling a bike is: linear force (pushing on pedals) x crank length. The direction of the force of the pedal going up and the pedal going down are in the same rotational direction when seen from the spindle, so the both add to the total torque. The OP's description of the pedal going up and the pedal going down cancelling each other would be analogous to rotating the two pedals in opposite directions (one clockwise, the other counterclockwise). But both pedals are moved in the clockwise direction when seen from the right side of the bike, so the pedal forces add to each other.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Research has shown that even if you think you're pulling up on the upstroke, you're not. The pedal is actually pushing your foot up via the force created by your opposite leg pushing down."

That's where this question enters my mind. If you were able to apply a greater force on the upstroke than the downstroke, then wouldn't you just be dragging the downstroke leg down with the greater force of the upstroke?

Yes, but only if the downstroke leg was doing nothing, which in any practical sense is never. The downstroke leg is contributing and additive to the upstroke.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think from a strictly mechanical perspective, only pushing down your force is limited by your weight (assuming you are not resisting uplift by holding yourself on the bike). Push hard enough and you rise from the seat. Pulling is not limited by your weight, as the bike seat/frame/tires/ground resists the force you apply. Thus, I believe it is possible from a mechanical perspective that pulling can conceivable transfer more torque than pushing, assuming your legs could do it. Practical, I believe pushing is much more efficient for a human body. When you do it together, some of the uplifting force from the push can be resisted by the downward force generated by the pull. By pushing and pulling, it is possible to make the down more efficient by providing resistance to uplift. At least in theory.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (308xray, 7mm_Loco, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, 17 invisible), 17,140 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,159
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
7 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.