Print Thread
Hop To
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
"Don't worry, they won't last long in prison". I hear variations of this all the time, most recently here in regards to the guy who kidnapped a 13 year old white girl and killed her parents. While I'd like to believe that, I just don't. He may have even earned a little "street cred".

While I'm sure occasionally the most heinous criminals, like maybe a baby rapist or Jeffrey Dahmer-type gets taken out, who makes up the population of prisons? It's not model citizens. So, can anyone who might have knowledge of these things enlighten the rest of us on how prisons really work, particularly in regards to who gets "taken out"?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ask Whitey Bugler.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I don't think that cons really care what some other con does in a real sense; I think it's just that everyone wants to feel superior to someone else.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Child sex offenders are marked men from the time they enter.

Seriously crazy people usually don't last long. They create drama and uncertainty.

Snitches-- everybody knows what happens to snitches.

I had a buddy that worked in a low-security prison just north of Cincinnati. He's was a psychologist. We used to talk. He said two things generally mark a man for prison, and they show up in the standard tests.

#1 Elevated levels of rebellion.

#2 Depressed levels of intelligence.

Basically, if you have a propensity for lashing out and are too stupid to see the potential consequences of your actions, you run a good chance of going to prison. There are very few highly-intelligent people in prison. The idea of a criminal mastermind is just a fictional trope. What you see generally are guys that seem to go 2-3 years living a normal life and then all of a sudden they get bored with the status quo and act out. Bang! Jail. My buddy said that the personality types he encountered in prison were so uniform it was boring.

Another thing is that most of this is behavior that can be identified before the age of 10. If you're a troublemaker in 5th grade, you're probably going to be a troublemaker until you're 30. Some folks can grow and mature out of it, but the absolute worse treatment is putting them in with like-minded individuals so that they feed off each other.

A lot of guys turn to self-medication (alcohol and drugs) to deal with their problems, and as a result end up getting stuck emotionally somewhere in their teens. As a result, you've got guys who start having their first run-in as a juvenile and never grow out of it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see 5th graders like that and I say to myself....mosdef, his mama smoked Newports while he was in the womb

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s nice to hear when one gets his just reward in prison.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A student with a father who is serving a long jail sentence explained this to me.

Inmates generally do have families on the outside. Besides any of their own kids they usually have nieces and nephews. They do miss their families, a lot. One thing that really bothers them is that they are not there to protect their own families, especially the kids. This is why those who victimize children really get them PO'd.

Sounded like a reasonable explanation to me.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Child sex offenders are marked men from the time they enter.

Seriously crazy people usually don't last long. They create drama and uncertainty.

Snitches-- everybody knows what happens to snitches.

I had a buddy that worked in a low-security prison just north of Cincinnati. He's was a psychologist. We used to talk. He said two things generally mark a man for prison, and they show up in the standard tests.

#1 Elevated levels of rebellion.

#2 Depressed levels of intelligence.

Basically, if you have a propensity for lashing out and are too stupid to see the potential consequences of your actions, you run a good chance of going to prison. There are very few highly-intelligent people in prison. The idea of a criminal mastermind is just a fictional trope. What you see generally are guys that seem to go 2-3 years living a normal life and then all of a sudden they get bored with the status quo and act out. Bang! Jail. My buddy said that the personality types he encountered in prison were so uniform it was boring.

Another thing is that most of this is behavior that can be identified before the age of 10. If you're a troublemaker in 5th grade, you're probably going to be a troublemaker until you're 30. Some folks can grow and mature out of it, but the absolute worse treatment is putting them in with like-minded individuals so that they feed off each other.

A lot of guys turn to self-medication (alcohol and drugs) to deal with their problems, and as a result end up getting stuck emotionally somewhere in their teens. As a result, you've got guys who start having their first run-in as a juvenile and never grow out of it.

that was interesting to me

Sounds like he'd more interested in dealing with white collar criminals as a psychologist

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I guess you can only stomach only so much stupidity after a while. He much preferred drug and alcohol addiction cases, because the people were generally intelligent and you could engage in real conversation.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the state has a facility for underage offenders not far from my house. we call it a training school until they reach age 18 and can go to the Arizona state prison.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The deputy I know that’s currently working corrections has told me they are segregated and protected.

That’s in a county jail in the most liberal county in the State of Wisconsin for what that’s worth.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bhemry
"Don't worry, they won't last long in prison". I hear variations of this all the time, most recently here in regards to the guy who kidnapped a 13 year old white girl and killed her parents. While I'd like to believe that, I just don't. He may have even earned a little "street cred".

While I'm sure occasionally the most heinous criminals, like maybe a baby rapist or Jeffrey Dahmer-type gets taken out, who makes up the population of prisons? It's not model citizens. So, can anyone who might have knowledge of these things enlighten the rest of us on how prisons really work, particularly in regards to who gets "taken out"?

Killing pedophiles and their ilk is a good way to "get away" with murder for guys that are doing a life sentence without parole.

It also increases your value in the prison and zero drawbacks because no opposing gang will involved.

Cases like this carry no "street cred" in a prison. They'll all want to kill him.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can only really speak to how it works in my area. Sex offenders are frequently targeted in they are held in general population. The more creepy an offense, the more likely they are to be targeted. In the county jails, sex offenders are kept in protective custody so the other inmates cannot harm them. This is true of the snitches too in county jails. In the state prisons, they may not have protective custody but they tend to keep similar offenders housed together. The state doesn't want lawsuits so they try to keep the inmates safe. I think the more dangerous criminals have little to lose and like the notoriety of attacking a pervert. Guys with the prospect of early parole will be less likely to risk getting in trouble.

If you look at that guy Jared from the subway commercials, he was attacked when a guy got a chance to do it.

Another thing, though, is that aside from the crimes themselves, these guys tend to be the weirdos of the prisons. They are creepers and give off that vibe. I am sure Jeffrey Dahmer made his cellmates uncomfortable and they targeted him for being a freak. This Patterson guy lacks social skills and will not be well received by other inmates. The facility will probably be able to keep him safe but he will have less freedom than other inmates by nature of the facility trying to protect them. Some prisoners that are in protective custody have very little interaction with other inmates. They are locked down more for their own safety (and the avoidance of liability by the prison) and generally, have a more unpleasant experience in prison even if they are never harmed.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
The deputy I know that’s currently working corrections has told me they are segregated and protected.

That’s in a county jail in the most liberal county in the State of Wisconsin for what that’s worth.

That's one of the reasons it "takes so long."

They are kept under lock and key until their actual sentencing. When they get to the prison they are going to do their time is when all the lifers will have their chance.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a bunch of child molesters in prison, and seldom do they get killed. Prison is a dangerous place but from what I've seen criminals aren't too judgmental. They understand that you got there for being bad. As a side note, most any corrections person will tell you that a lot of the killers are the best prisoners as far as not making trouble.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Last edited by Theeck; 01/16/19.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have heard there is a hierarchy in prison. Forgers at the top, con men up there, burglars, street robbers, muggers, murderers, child molestors, child murderers. I don't know the exsct order. there are the race gangs. A cop is in jeopardy if he ever gets caught ,naturally.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Real-time retribution.

We just had a really high-profile case here where an eight-month-old boy was allegedly abducted from a car, caught on tape in the surveillance camera of a local convenience store. Turns out the kidnapping was faked, the boy had died while in the care of the druggie/gangster/lowlife father, the body buried in an empty field inside a backpack.

The guy is now in protective custody, his grandmother and his female cousin, who helped in the cover-up, were charged and taken into custody also....

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/l...King-Jay-death-assaulted-in-13540047.php

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bhemry

It is true. Check out this recent story about an Oklahoma inmate who kidnapped 8-year old girl . . . https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...uthorities-say-59-year-old-inmate-killed

Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes tells TV station KWTV that Palma "probably met his justice" but that authorities had hoped Palma would one day lead them to Kirsten's body.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.