Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JeffG
...what you really need is a 300 Savage, that solves all the ballistic debates. Or just trade one of the 30-30's for a 303, that saves the marriage.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the original selling points of the 300 was it’s vastly improved performance over the 30-30 in a lever gun. On the same note, I also wouldn’t be surprised if Savage happened to have left their own proprietary 303 out of that conversation. On those lines though I have wondered if Savage pretty much gave up on the 303 after they came out with the 300 as they certainly didn’t find it in their heart to chamber it in the Super Sporter when it was introduced in 1928. If the 303 was a competitive product in the marketplace then I think Savage would have used it in 40/45. Of the two cartridges, I prefer the 303 over the 30-30 because of its longer neck. The 30-30 seems to be an inherently accurate round and the longer neck of the 303 would only improve this aspect of performance in this class of cartridge. Anyone happen to know the sales figures of the 303 in the 99 compared to the 300 after the latter was introduced?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JeffG, i have the 300 savage. just need/want a 303.
i have parted with some 99s in the past and have regretted each one.
S99VG, i have both those molds , just need the energy to fire them up.
Joe , i have a 1926 TD in 30-30 so one in 303 would be sweet.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think the 1/16" or so of added neck length of the .303 over the .30-30 is a non-starter. In terms of aligning the bullet with the bore they're both more than adequate. In terms of keeping the base of the bullet confined within the neck so as not to intrude into the powder space, what's more important IMO is the depth of the throat which determines seating depth, in the quest for ultimate accuracy- OAL for magazine feeding notwithstanding. I've never had to seat my above mentioned heavy bullet below the neck in any.30-30 or .303, and have enjoyed flawless feeding through a variety of magazines, rotary, tube, and box. That's not to say that other throats and magazine lengths wouldn't dictate deeper seating, but in those instances having the bullet base dangling into the powder space is no big deal anyway, IMO.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/16/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gary - I'm certainly not trying to split hairs here and by no measure would trash talk the 30-30 on the basis of neck length. It's just something I've noticed and if I had to make a call on it one way or the other I'd say the same thing again. Though this conversation may be interesting to have with techno-geeks who get into fine, fine, fine details of one aspect of technology over another - but again that's not me. As far as answering the question of "should I get a 303?" I have to quote what David Carradine/King Fu said years ago in a commercial. "If pizza makes you happy then you should have pizza." Life is short - have pizza!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's the original caliber and ya ain't got one yet.
It's just classic

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I found some Hawke 190 grain soft points. They are suited ideally for the .303 Savage. They are not cheap but for hunting with a .303 I don't believe the cost would be a deciding factor. They are another option to 190 grain cast bullets.

Darryl

From the Great White North
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jeff- sometimes I feel the same way. But often it's the minutiae that is the most compelling too. Take for example the interest many here have in learning the subtle differences between same model Savages, serial numbers, sights, etc. It's all good. Personally what interests me the most with any rifle is what makes them tick, what makes for average accuracy versus sterling accuracy. (In the end a rifle's ability to shoot accurately trumps its ability to look good otherwise what's the point of a rifle?)

Side note: As I'm typing this, two blocks from my window they just fired a 21 gun salute with 105mm howitzers, MD National Guard, MD Governor's Inauguration. It's cool having your windows rattled in such a manner, followed by a flyover by A-10 Warthogs flown by the Air National Guard. Proud to be an American!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh geez yea. Sometimes I think the minutiae discussed on this forum about the 99 nears the infinite. But this would be the place one would expect to find that sort of thing less we call ourselves the Savage Plinkers Forum! 105-mm howitzers, cool. I have a neighbor I wouldn’t mind unleashing one or two of those babies on.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
the minutiae is what educates the likes of me. keep it coming.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by deerstalker

So are you getting the 303? Personally I think you should have that pizza, if you catch my drift.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sold all my 30-30's a number of years back to get 303's, just liked them "better" as it's a Savage design. Have picked up a couple since then, but still like the 303's. Heck, buying another 303 today. grin

It's a disease...

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ain't nothing wrong with that affliction!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
(In the end a rifle's ability to shoot accurately trumps its ability to look good otherwise what's the point of a rifle?)

I would make this argument:

Everybody has certain parameters that make guns (or baseball cards or cars or women or whatever) interesting to them.

What is one's definition of shooting accurately? Every rifle I have ever bought was, to me at least, a hunting rifle designed for one purpose, to kill game.

What is the practical difference in most hunting situations between a gun that shoot's 1.5 moa or .5 moa? To me, the prettier gun gets to hunt.

I remember "sighting in" when I was a young lad too young to even hunt and just tagging along. Somebody would take their pocket knife and make a blaze on a beach or spruce tree and every body would back up an appropriate distance (25-30 steps or so) and shoot offhand (usually one shot) at the mark with their open sighted Winchesters, Remingtons and Savages. If they hit the tree within 3 or 4 inches of the mark they were "sighted in" and we went hunting.

Didn't many deer get past them guys I can tell you.

Not trying to say the inherent accuracy of a rifle isn't important, and I understand that to some guys it's just fun to go through the exercise of wringing the best out of a guns ability. I get it.

But just sayin sometimes it can be easy to over complicate the task to be performed.

Just me...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
(In the end a rifle's ability to shoot accurately trumps its ability to look good otherwise what's the point of a rifle?)

I would make this argument:

Everybody has certain parameters that make guns (or baseball cards or cars or women or whatever) interesting to them.

What is one's definition of shooting accurately? Every rifle I have ever bought was, to me at least, a hunting rifle designed for one purpose, to kill game.

What is the practical difference in most hunting situations between a gun that shoot's 1.5 moa or .5 moa? To me, the prettier gun gets to hunt.

I remember "sighting in" when I was a young lad too young to even hunt and just tagging along. Somebody would take their pocket knife and make a blaze on a beach or spruce tree and every body would back up an appropriate distance (25-30 steps or so) and shoot offhand (usually one shot) at the mark with their open sighted Winchesters, Remingtons and Savages. If they hit the tree within 3 or 4 inches of the mark they were "sighted in" and we went hunting.

Didn't many deer get past them guys I can tell you.

Not trying to say the inherent accuracy of a rifle isn't important, and I understand that to some guys it's just fun to go through the exercise of wringing the best out of a guns ability. I get it.

But just sayin sometimes it can easy to over complicate the task to be performed.

Just me...

No, it is NOT just you. That is EXACTLY what everyone in my family did just prior to opening day of deer season. There were probably 15 or so of us. Now they are all gone except for me. If it wasn't for my wife and son to keep me going,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well, you get the idea.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
easy ... you don't have one; that's why you need one. smile I can't think of a more fulfilling way to bring home venison than with a vintage 303 Savage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For some reason I get more satisfaction in shooting a deer with a 303 than with a 30-30, maybe just the unusual cartridge factor.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
Originally Posted by deerstalker

So are you getting the 303? Personally I think you should have that pizza, if you catch my drift.

just sold a henry 22 to my neighbor so the funds are building! Pizza!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cool!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
OK, I'm convinced! Now, I just have to find one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The earlier actions may not be as strong. And I think the spring like action of the firearm closing and locking up tight diminish as the firearm gets used.

But I prefer hands down the pencil thin barrels carbine length. I also seem to shoot pistol grips a little more accurately.

But aesthetics wise the F or E look coolest, feel the best 2 me.

But............I also have a model B 1899 s in rifle butt stock, and one in shotgun butt , non takedowns octagons, that I never seem to want to sell.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (260Remguy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 270wsmnutt, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 29 invisible), 16,767 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,104
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.