OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by fredIII
Big brother is watching us. LOL.

Fûckn back up cameras. LOL.

Is that blue line a target so you can drop it right in the middle and not run over the turd and get it all over your tires? Damn, some guys think of everything.....

It’s a Toyota.

You’ve heard about the Japanese toilets...

I heard fred made the japanese re-design their toilets.

Fred is fickle...He wants a bidet 💦 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Asking about the best way to set up my truck with a in/out steel drum holding 3/4” non-stretch rope for ripping elk out.

Curious on drum size to rope amount. I would want a minimum 3k feet...More? Drum would ride in the 6’-5” bed of a Tundra.

Brackets would need to be fabricated probably. I would want to be able to remove drum and hardware at the end of the season.

Ideas on best way to set a stop or brake on the drum wheel for pulling. Then winding up slack line, crank handle I imagine.

Off season project..,. 😎

Beaver,

One of the coolest setups I've seen was posted on iFish a few years back. Dude took an old Honda ATC, 110cc if IIRC, and made a winch out of it with a big spool of wire rope. Essentially infinite duty cycle.

If I can find the details, I'll send them.

Jason

Any luck? I’ve searched high and low and haven’t found them.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Neighbor is from Oregon. He kept a spare rim with no tire and a hole cut in it he could put a line through and tie a bolt or something on to keep it from pulling out. Then he’d jack up the rear of his 1975 Scout and bolt that puppy on and have a gas powered winch. I never saw it work in person but he had an old VHS home video that made it look pretty skookum.

We usually measure the distance to the road in miles from our elk kills but I got lucky this year. Walked 12 miles hunting from daylight to nearly dark and I get 200yds from my wheeler and a bull runs across the trail in front of me. I rolled him up as he ran through an opening in the oakbrush and he fell about 250 yards from the trail. Of course since CO changed the rules a few years ago I still had to quarter him and pack it all to the wheeler but it was flat and easy going.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Asking about the best way to set up my truck with a in/out steel drum holding 3/4” non-stretch rope for ripping elk out.

Curious on drum size to rope amount. I would want a minimum 3k feet...More? Drum would ride in the 6’-5” bed of a Tundra.

Brackets would need to be fabricated probably. I would want to be able to remove drum and hardware at the end of the season.

Ideas on best way to set a stop or brake on the drum wheel for pulling. Then winding up slack line, crank handle I imagine.

Off season project..,. 😎

Beaver,

One of the coolest setups I've seen was posted on iFish a few years back. Dude took an old Honda ATC, 110cc if IIRC, and made a winch out of it with a big spool of wire rope. Essentially infinite duty cycle.

If I can find the details, I'll send them.

Jason

Yes, I’ve owned this Capstan Winch for a few seasons..Works fine. Easy to pack down a mountain, but it’s a slow pull. 😎

[Linked Image]

Here are the two main ways of pulling out an animal...Attach the securing cable for the Winch around a tree or stump, then maintaining a slight and consistent pulling with your hand on the free rope that is wrapped 3 times around the drum, this is necessary to make the line attached to the animal pull towards you. As the animal moves up towards you, you have a pile of retrieved rope laying at your feet that has unwrapped off the drum. This way is best performed with 2 people. One to run the winch, the other to tie off the rope on the animal, clear a path and remove snags that will halt the pull.

The other way is tie off your rope around a tree, stump, ATV, trailer hitch or whatever is heavy and unmoving...Then you can take the winch and rope line down to the animal. Cut slits in the rear legs to run the securing cable through the openings and bolt the cable to the winch...Now you are working the winch at the same time as the animal is coming up with you.

This last way is the only way I’ve been able to retrieve deer and elk solo and whole. I can see my winch path, remove obstacles before me and run the winch by pulling the rope through the winch drum...Yes, I have winched out several elk and deer with the Capstan alone.

Youtube “Capstan winch hunting” and you’ll see how powerful these Honda motors are. Happy hunting! 😎

Last edited by Beaver10; 01/16/19.

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, the 110cc ATC winch is a beast that takes up a few feet in the bed of truck. Huge compared to a Simpson winch. I've used those little capstans before.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
Neighbor is from Oregon. He kept a spare rim with no tire and a hole cut in it he could put a line through and tie a bolt or something on to keep it from pulling out. Then he’d jack up the rear of his 1975 Scout and bolt that puppy on and have a gas powered winch. I never saw it work in person but he had an old VHS home video that made it look pretty skookum.

Sounds like a wheel winch. People have made them at home. Bushwinch sells one commercially.

Bushwinch link

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorry man, I checked iFish but the search function only seems to go back a few years. I might have a pic or email stashed someplace but haven't found it.

The beauty of that 110cc engine/tranny was the high and low range, all ready to go. I don't recall what was done for final gear reduction with the big heavy spool of wire rope though.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No, the 110cc ATC winch is a beast that takes up a few feet in the bed of truck. Huge compared to a Simpson winch. I've used those little capstans before.

Gotcha...I think you’re speaking my language. 😎

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Fred is fickle...He wants a bidet 💦 😎

That's not what I meant. I think the Japanese toilet designers said the Japanese equivalent of "Holy **** we're gonna need a bigger hole."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.