Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yep, I've also spent many hours watcging animals that were out of range and napping. But those are apples and oranges with respect to setting up in a spot where animals can pass through at any time.

I'd say that depends on the situation - including size of the area, type of vegetation, etc. We've sat where you could see elk coming from over a mile away and didnt chamber untill they were under the horizon of the knoll we were sitting on. Ended up passing on a 25 foot shot and taking one at at around 35 yards.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/16/19. Reason: added missing comma

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I know 2 out of the last 3 model 700 and model 7s that I have looked at on used gun racks had obviously had the triggers messed with. The pink fingernail polish on one of them was a dead giveaway. People just can't resist. I have an older buddy I hunt with and he'll tell you everyone was messing with the overtravel screw as soon as they bought a 700 back in the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if it was someone who wanted a bench rest trigger on a hunting rifle. I have one rifle like that, with a 9oz Jard trigger. That is only used on the bench or for woodchucks. When I'm hunting with it never is it loaded until it's on the bipod or bags. Then I put a round in the chamber and push the bolt closed, but I will not cam it closed until I have a shot.

But with woodchucks there is no time factor, I can take all the time I need. Not so with big game, especially at the shorter ranges I hunt at. Then I want a five pound trigger. And I never use gloves, clam shell mittens so I can put a bare finger on the trigger. I want to clearly feel that thing.

Last edited by Armednfree; 01/16/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting buddy missed a large bull elk this fall, when he chambered a round and the elk heard it and bolted instantly. If he had a round in the chamber he would be eating elk steaks instead of walmart hamburger. LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember what my grand father always said. I rifle without a round it is just another piece of pipe. Treat every firearm as loaded until you prove it is not. Basic rule for all morons. we teach our kids this yet you have some idiot acting in this manner.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM
Check his and widows cell phone records....

Pathetic.

Perhaps... Stranger things have happened. Guess I have been watching too many Law & Order reruns.

It's not really that far out there, considering this humdinger of a headline: "Widow Charged With Murder Of Missing Seminole Duck Hunter UPDATE: Denise Williams guilty." (The details of the murder are creepy.)

"UPDATE: Dec. 16, 2018: Denise Williams was found guilty Friday, Dec. 15 in a Tallahassee courtroom of three counts, including first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. Her husband, Mike Williams, was killed by Brian Winchester, who had been Mike Williams’ best friend. Denise Williams and Winchester were having an affair and planned the murder. Denise Williams later received $1.75 million in life insurance payments, including a $1 million policy that Winchester sold to his best friend, Mike Williams."

Winchester and Denise Williams were later married, but their contentious split in 2016 led to resolution in the case of Mike Williams, who went missing reportedly during a duck hunting trip on Lake Seminole.

Winchester testified in the case against Denise Williams, and the details of Mike Williams’ murder are bone-chilling. Winchester said he planned to make it look like Williams had drowned by pushing him out of Williams’ duck hunting boat, but Williams did not get dragged underwater by his duck-hunting equipment, as Winchester planned. Winchester said he then shot Williams in the face with a 12-gauge shotgun and dragged his body to shore, put him in the back of his truck and drove back to Tallahassee. He later buried him next to Carr Lake, a small lake also known as Mallard Pond north of Tallahassee."

Link: https://www.gon.com/news/widow-charged-murder-missing-seminole-duck-hunter

Last edited by shankbone; 01/16/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
I know 2 out of the last 3 model 700 and model 7s that I have looked at on used gun racks had obviously had the triggers messed with. The pink fingernail polish on one of them was a dead giveaway. People just can't resist. I have an older buddy I hunt with and he'll tell you everyone was messing with the overtravel screw as soon as they bought a 700 back in the day.

The old Walker triggers are easy to adjust properly. Problem is, not everyone is qualified to comb their own hair, let alone take on a task of a technical nature.

Basically:
1. Back out the screws a couple turns.
2. Adjust the sear.
3. Adjust the overtravel.
4. Adjust the pull weight.
5. Check for FOR (Fire On Release) issues, readjust if necessary.

Did Daughter's new-to-her 1975 M700 yesterday. (Basically wanted to inspect the trigger for cleanliness and make sure it wasn't susceptible to FOR safety issues and seal the barrel channel.) It had been previously adjusted is my guess, since there was nothing locking the screws in place. (There is now.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Remington trigger, the older one's anyway, can be responsibly adjusted to a very nice trigger. But we have to be reasonable. I always considered one major flaw in the Remington 700 design is that the safety is inside the trigger housing. I much prefer the Winchester system where the striker itself is locked. In either case you can't set the sear engagement so fine that it's sitting on a hair. Better to have more engagement and the surfaces glass smooth than little engagement.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Ended up passing on a 25 foot shot and taking one at at around 35 yards.

Makes sense to me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Ended up passing on a 25 foot shot and taking one at at around 35 yards.

Makes sense to me.

It would if you had been there.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm sure it would have. I'd have been on the same wavelength within the space/time continuum.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My son lost a friend when he was 10 years old because the father of another friend left a loaded rifle on the seat of his pickup. Tragedies like this can be easily avoided by following a few simple safety rules. I think about this every time I go hunting. As a result I always hunt with a cold chamber until I am ready to shoot. If I miss an opportunity, so be it. No animal if worth someone's life.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I quit hunting up by Crater Lake, due to the trigger happy clowns during Elk Season...

I quit after one guy was shot and killed by other hunters, during 3 out of 4 seasons...
( in campfire fashion, NO not one guy killed annually)..

each time It was someone bringing a kill back to his vehicle... and carrying the head and antlers
on a back pack...just walking down a trail...

The last straw for me was when I kicked up a large bull in a heavily wooded creek bed...

all of a sudden I felt as if I was in Vietnam and walked into a Viet Cong Ambush... bullets fly everywhere..
and shots going off up on the hill side where there was a road... 7 different guys blasting away at the Elk..

Road hunters.. one guy stopped and looked, saw the elk, jumped out and started shooting..
other guys come by and saw him shooting so they got out and started shooting...

They quit after I fired a couple of shots over their heads.. me yelling someone is down here didn't seem to phase them....when I got up on the road, they asked if I was down on the creek bed, and I answered yeah...

the tone must have been telling them I was pissed as they back away from me walking by... they had been standing in a circle BSing with 4 pickups parked there....

when I walked passed them, one wise ass asked WTF I was doing down in the creek bed....

"who in the hell do you think kicked that elk up from its bed??"

I elk hunt very little here in Oregon, too many trigger happy morons out there....

still seems like every other year, someone else is shot and killed by some other dipschitts..

not during deer season it seems, always during Elk Season...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Seafire,
Your post above re morons indiscriminately firing at game from the road and elsewhere perfectly describes the reason I seldom if ever hunt popular public lands anymore.
Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hunt wilderness areas in Oregon. Kilt a 4x4 bull just a bit SW of Crater Lake, not far from where Seafire references.

If you hunt near roads, expect to get what you get.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (2ndwind, 260Remguy, 30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 43 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,023
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.