Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"I watched McCarthy live on TV...his own hearings showed what a POS he really was."

I watched it live too and McCarthy had evidence that proved that ALL the people he interviewed live on TV were actual Communists. The ones that were just suspects were interviewed in private and released.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BOWSINGER - " With your background you should know the history of what happened to some of the Hollywood writers and actors that were blacklisted or threatened to be blacklisted.
That Humphrey Bogart had to write and defend himself: “I’m No Communist” to keep from being blacklisted.
“Sterling Hayden: I was a rat, a stoolie, and the names I named of those close friends were blacklisted and deprived of their livelihood."

Yes, I do know although I arrived in Los Angeles much later than the HUAA Committee hearings of the early 1950s. By the time I got there, the "blacklist" was mostly a thing of the past. There were several reasons it faded away. Probably the main reason the blacklist was broken was when Kirk Douglas agreed to star in Sparticus, which was written by Dalton Trumbo under a psuedonym. Douglas told the studio he'd only star in the movie if Trumbo's real name was listed in the movie's credits as "Written by Dalton Trumbo." The studio agreed as Douglas was very "hot" and they valued his box office appeal.

As I posted, I do not believe in blacklists or censorship but it was the studio heads who blacklisted the communists and communist sympathizers in Hollywood. But they had every Right to do what they did. Fortunately, that era passed.

BTW, you mentioned Sterling Hayden. If you want to read an interesting story, check into Hayden's carreer in the OSS during WW II.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
McCarthy wasn't looking for communists in Hollywood.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
BOWSINGER - " With your background you should know the history of what happened to some of the Hollywood writers and actors that were blacklisted or threatened to be blacklisted.
That Humphrey Bogart had to write and defend himself: “I’m No Communist” to keep from being blacklisted.
“Sterling Hayden: I was a rat, a stoolie, and the names I named of those close friends were blacklisted and deprived of their livelihood."

Yes, I do know although I arrived in Los Angeles much later than the HUAA Committee hearings of the early 1950s. By the time I got there, the "blacklist" was mostly a thing of the past. There were several reasons it faded away. Probably the main reason the blacklist was broken was when Kirk Douglas agreed to star in Sparticus, which was written by Dalton Trumbo under a psuedonym. Douglas told the studio he'd only star in the movie if Trumbo's real name was listed in the movie's credits as "Written by Dalton Trumbo." The studio agreed as Douglas was very "hot" and they valued his box office appeal.

As I posted, I do not believe in blacklists or censorship but it was the studio heads who blacklisted the communists and communist sympathizers in Hollywood. But they had every Right to do what they did. Fortunately, that era passed.

BTW, you mentioned Sterling Hayden. If you want to read an interesting story, check into Hayden's carreer in the OSS during WW II.

FWIW.

L.W.

Some believe this caused S. H. to drink himself to death.

The studio heads had no right to blacklist innocent people.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by KC

The only difference that I can see is that McCarthy was running a kangaroo court to hound and destroy the reputations of suspected communists and Mueller is doing the same thing to the president. McCarthy was eventually censured and disgraced. When will it happen to Mueller?

The biggest difference is that McCarthy was right.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by victoro
"I watched McCarthy live on TV...his own hearings showed what a POS he really was."

I watched it live too and McCarthy had evidence that proved that ALL the people he interviewed live on TV were actual Communists. The ones that were just suspects were interviewed in private and released.

McCarthy proved nothing.

The Army proved that.

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 01/16/19.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

McCarthy proved nothing.

Only because the commies got him stopped. And now, here we are. Fighting commies again. Bow, I like a lot of the way you think, but you're pretty far off on this one.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

McCarthy proved nothing.

Only because the commies got him stopped. And now, here we are. Fighting commies again. Bow, I like a lot of the way you think, but you're pretty far off on this one.

McCarthy went on live TV and stopped himself. It soon came out about all the innocent lives he ruined.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
FDR aligned with Stalin in WW2,...enabled the Bolsheviks to succeed,..and consequently unleashed Communism on the world.

The buzzards started coming to roost in America very shortly after. Now they run the show,...literally.

Turn on your TV and watch the show.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You wouldn't know a real Communist if he bit you in the ass.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BOWSINGER - "Some believe this caused S. H. [Sterling Hayden] to drink himself to death.

The studio heads had no right to blacklist innocent people."

I don't know if that caused Sterling Hayden to "drink himself to death," because he died of cancer. But ... Hollywood has always been full of booze hounds and dope heads. There has never been any shortage of Hollywoodites getting sloshed or loaded, notwithstanding the HUAA Committee.

Yes, the studio heads had the "right" to blacklist anyone they wanted. After all, they owned the studios and dictated whomever worked there, actors, writers, directors, etc., etc. They could hire or fire anyone they wanted at their leisure. Whether it was "morally" correct is another debate.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
lolol,....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After the Kavanaugh hearing, any leftist who wants to complain about unfair treatment can GF themselves.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Good read:

https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/history/item/15223-the-real-mccarthy-record

I found this part particularly interesting:

Communist infiltration of the State Department began in the 1930s. On September 2, 1939, former Communist Whittaker Chambers provided Assistant Secretary of State Adolph Berle with the names and Communist connections of two dozen spies in the government, including Alger Hiss. Berle took the information to President Roosevelt, but FDR laughed it off. Hiss moved rapidly up the State Department ladder and served as an advisor to Roosevelt at the disastrous Yalta Conference in 1945 that paved the way for the Soviet conquest of Central and Eastern Europe. Hiss also functioned as the secretary general of the founding meeting of the United Nations in San Francisco, helped to draft the UN Charter, and later filled dozens of positions at the UN with American Communists before he was publicly exposed as a Soviet spy by Whittaker Chambers in 1948.

So,..a Communist spy was an advisor to FDR in 1945.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
About Alger Hiss:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/venona/dece_hiss.html

In 1996, shortly after Hiss's death, a collection of Venona decrypts was declassified. One of the messages, dated March 30, 1945, refers to an American with the code name Ales. According to the message, Ales was a Soviet agent working in the State Department, who accompanied President Roosevelt to the 1945 Yalta Conference and then flew to Moscow, both of which Hiss did. The message goes on to indicate that Ales met with Andrei Vyshinsky, the Commissar for Foreign Affairs, and was commended for his aid to the Soviets. Analysts at the National Security Agency have gone on record asserting that Ales could only have been Alger Hiss.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Operation Mockingbird:

https://joejarvis.me/2013/02/04/operation-mockingbird-cias-propaganda-machine/

Contrary to statutory and legal limitations, once the network in authority in the CIA saw its interests threatened, Wisner was directed to unleash Mockingbird on McCarthy. Drew Pearson, Joe Alsop, Jack Anderson, Walter Lippmann and Ed Murrow all engaged in intensely negative coverage of McCarthy, whose political reputation was permanently damaged by the press coverage orchestrated by Wisner.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Glad somebody brought up this topic. I pretty much figured that McCarthy's reputation had been trashed by the Communists. But until now I didn't realize that it had been orchestrated by Operation Mockingbird.

It also explains why so much of the negative press towards Trump seems synchronized between so many media outlets.

Operation Mockingbird seems to be very much alive. It's the American propaganda machine. It's the "News".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 280shooter
After the Kavanaugh hearing, any leftist who wants to complain about unfair treatment can GF themselves.

The Democrats tried to do to Kavanaugh what McCarthy tried to do in his hearings.No due process of law.

The Alger Hiss story was before McCarthy and had nothing to do with McCarthy showing the whole world on TV what a POS he really was.

After his televised downfall McCarthy was censored by his own Senate and the SCOTUS has used "McCarthyism" to protect due process in several cases.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 59 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.