Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Heading off shootings at church?

The policy at our church is to leave the inside doors open, I guess so an intruder can be seen?

Other than the ushers pack AR's, any thoughts?

Uh, maybe some of the congregation pack heat? Me personally, I’m strapped up most places I go, but to a church, I’m throwing an extra mag in my coat pocket. Praise the Lord. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The congregation needs to be well trained to "hit the deck" in case of an armed confrontation.Would make it easier to kill the perp without hitting an innocent bystander.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Texczech
I like what one of my uncles used to say. I have a bible and a 45. I can teach you about God or introduce you to him.

I like that, and 45's too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pretty sure Simon Peter cut off an ear protecting Jesus. Even the angles pack.

I'm not sure about licensing for a firey sword though.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I'm pretty sure Simon Peter cut off an ear protecting Jesus. Even the angles pack.

Not everyone who packs has to have an angle.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
true story grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Not everyone who packs has to have an angle.

No, but they have the right (angle).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
claymores at the entrance, belt fed in the choir loft, fast mover on deck.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The congregation needs to be well trained to "hit the deck" in case of an armed confrontation.Would make it easier to kill the perp without hitting an innocent bystander.

Exactly right. Our pastor just won't say that, or let people know. 3 Problems

1. As said you can be aiming at a bad guy and have an innocent, jump up between you two. Bad things can happen here.

2. I suspect bad guys expect people to run blindly the doors to outside where they easily become victims, either with shots, or explosions.

3. Perimeters are critical. Do not let people get all the way inside without being confronted.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just finished a term as president of my church council. Over the last year, we had the local police chief come in to do a walk through of both the main church and the education/day care building. He brought a list of generic things that many churches are doing and then made some specific to us recommendations. The most visible thing we did was to start locking all the doors except the front ones during church service. Any one coming in has to come in past the ushers. We also had a breakfast meeting with the ushers and one of the PD officers gave a presentation on 'situational awareness' and what might be indicators of a 'bad guy'.

We've made some less obvious changes to the building and have a couple more in the works. We gave a set of building blueprints to the PD and they scanned them into their computer system. In an emergency, having that information in the first patrol car on scene could save time, confusion and possibly lives.

The pastor would be happy if no guns existed anywhere in the world but she knows a large number of people would leave if she pushed for a ban on carrying in church. We just left it at 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'. I think it took some of the wind out her sails when the police chief said he was fine with people carrying in church. grin

It is a fine line to walk between making the church like Fort Knox and being open and welcoming to visitors and others. FWIW, it's a Lutheran church in a very rural conservative part of Pa. But I think the Lutheran church my daughter and family attend near Reading has done some security things too. At least I think I noticed some changes but I don't go there very often.

Dale

Last edited by Dale K; 01/18/19. Reason: spelling

This space for rent

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My friends and I are some of them harmless Lutherans too. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by szihn
Wyoming is a "Constitutional Carry State" and in my church at least 1/2 of the congregation is carrying at all times. The pastor and all the deacons do too.

Only half in that part of Wyoming?

You must be including young children in your count.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most people in our church don't know it but we have an armed team that 'hangs around' during services keeping their eyes open. Plus, our minister is an ex-marine who's no slouch with a gun.

This is exactly the situation in our Church! We have an armed security team, strategically positioned in the Sanctuary to deal with armed intruders. All other doors are locked during service except the one entrance door that one other person and myself have direct sight of. They would be well advised to not enter our church with ill intent.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
KSP adapted their School Active Shooter training sessions to church environments and started offering to church groups after Sutherland Springs. The session our "Safety Team" attended last year had approx 100 participants from more than 20 churches. Highly recommend the KSP training for anyone in KY contemplating formalizing their church security plans.

Given that we are a rural church, and already had a number of CCDW holders in the congregation, our safety and security planning was more "evolution" than "revolution". Wont bore the group with details here. But, if anyone is interested, willing to discuss off line.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We may or may not have armed people in our church. I suspect we don't. The issue is not the church, it is the law. In Ohio to carry a firearm into a place of worship is a felony 5 unless you have written permission. The church correctly see's liability should it actively allow carry.

In a bill passed two years ago that restriction was to be eliminated. That part of the bill had that provision removed at the behest of church counsels. More than likely it was the big church counsels, like Catholics and Lutherans, that did that. I believe that is hypocritical, asking the government to make law effecting any aspect of church, it seems if you allow, or encourage, one influence you must accept all.

Minus that law, and the proactive need to provide written permission, the church would be no more liable than Walmart. In this case actively doing something has a lot more meaning than doing nothing.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I posted recently in a similar thread that the church that i have just decide to probably leave, when approached with the question of providing security said "No". And when told that individuals would be carrying a church minister said "The church won't stand behind you if someone is shot. The police station is only minutes away".

I agree with Hasbeen's idea.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by g5m
I posted recently in a similar thread that the church that i have just decide to probably leave, when approached with the question of providing security said "No". And when told that individuals would be carrying a church minister said "The church won't stand behind you if someone is shot. The police station is only minutes away".

I agree with Hasbeen's idea.

I can see the "No" when it is a state that requires permission to be given. But in a place where that permission is not required I think banning is not an effort to protect, it's a power and control thing. It's feeling in control of their own little fiefdom.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,867 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.