Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Listening to a book right now, and I have read this a few times before..

Boat in trouble, taking on water, Coast Guard helicopter lowers a pump to the boat in trouble..

How are these pumps powered, why don't all big boats in AK have these types of emergency pumps? Are they really powerful, and too expensive, so much as not to be affordable?
How are they powered that such a captain would be able to put it to use in rough seas? Self powered or plug into boat electrical?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gasoline, older ones were the P100 and P250 but they I think they are using a P5 or P6. I think they were something like $6k a piece.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Gasoline, older ones were the P100 and P250 but they I think they are using a P5 or P6. I think they were something like $6k a piece.

Ah, thanks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The idea is additional pumps, if your onboard cant keep up or is disabled.
A gas powered 6inch trash pump, can drain a pool in less than 5 minutes

Same for drying a stripped pit in the mud, when your trying to keep the water off the pay, and your tractors unstuck.

Last edited by Caribou; 01/18/19.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Caribou

A gas powered 6inch trash pump, can drain a pool in less than 5 minutes

I'd have to see that to believe that. wink

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They can do 200-250 gpm, going off memory.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On my the vessels I was on in the early 70’s they were called P-140 drop pumps, gas engines .They were stored in a aluminum half drum with suction,discharge hose and1 gallon of gas.I started and ran them each month.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The book I'm reading right now is about a storm on George's Bank I believe back in 1980, NOAA screwed up their forecast. Pretty good book so far.
Good tribute to the Coasties, anyone who flies a helo in that type of wind, is not feint of heart.

Amazon

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
LOL!!@ I re-read my post, I do sound sorta stupid laugh
Indeed, to be clear; I aint talking about some air droppable/ portable 6" trash pump, Im talking hooked up to at least a 350 Chevy, if not something bigger and diesel power'd on a skid that we drug from pits and ponds to the next ones.

They were at least 2,600 gallons per minute with a 140 + foot vertical lift.

I'd bet they make a 6 inch Bilge pump, but I bet they do for bigger ships.What they move per-minute would depend on how much power they give it.

Last edited by Caribou; 01/18/19.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Indeed, to be clear; I aint talking about some air droppable/ portable 6" trash pump, Im talking hooked up to at least a 350 Chevy, if not something bigger and diesel power'd on a skid that we drug from pits and ponds to the next ones.

I'd bet they make a 6 inch Bilge pump, but I bet they do for bigger ships.What they move per-minute would depend on how much power they give it.

Only because my folks had a pool, had to drain it to acid the bottom once, hooked up to a gas powered trash pump, it took most of the day. smile Of course my recollection would put it at around 4" hose.

In the book the pump was put into a waterproof container, a line dropped across the deck of the boat, once the crew had the line secured, they dropped the pump into the water to be pulled aboard.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had 1 P-500 and 1 P-250, that were both used as Fire and dewatering.
The P-500 was taking out off commission. As a fire pump the P-250 was 250 GPM when used with a Peri Jet educator for dewatering you could get 500 GPM..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
https://pumpbiz.com/6-diesel-trash-...bMZgPvLLyMOX78mUqF5uQqUg9FRoCqhIQAvD_BwE

Shuks........A 6 inch pump aint small at all.....a quick ''6 inch trash pump' Google search has this one at 1,200 GPM, 72,000 GPH, and that aint Chit compared to a bigger, higher power'd,higher torqued engine being chucked in place and let rip.

I'm not out to 'prove' anything, just spent a lot of summers in the muck, draining swamps (LOL!) ,making Gold and doing math.

I guess Im off topic Im off the sinking boat and up to my neck in mud.....LOL!

Last edited by Caribou; 01/19/19.

Big Stick
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 60n148w
We had 1 P-500 and 1 P-250, that were both used as Fire and dewatering.
The P-500 was taking out off commission. As a fire pump the P-250 was 250 GPM when used with a Peri Jet educator for dewatering you could get 500 GPM..

Yeah, most of my hands on experience were with P250's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve seen the coast guard and companies like Sea Tow use those pumps on boats taking on water in the Gulf of Mexico and it’s really pretty incredible , if you get those pumps going and start towing the boat they can save a sinking ship pretty quickly. Of course these aren’t 100ft+ boats like you’d find in Alaska.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Just finished a several year old book about a halibut boat that smacked a floating log. Captain and crew had essentially given up as the decks were awash. Coast guard put a pump on board, hooked up a tow, and saved both the ship and catch. Really if one does not have to do much lifting, he can move a lot of water in a hurry with a centrifugal pump.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/19/19.

1Minute
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Chip;,,,,,, Sorry, but a Pump with a 140 + foot of Vertical-Lift, is NOT Possible, not in this World anyway, see attached.
LJ cool

Chip,,,,,,, got to thinking about your Post, and did you mean 140 + Feet of Dis-Charge Hose/Pipe, as I took it "Originally" as Suction Lift, >? confused
LJ cool

Attached Images
Capture.jpg (42.4 KB, 20 downloads)
Capture.PNG (45.17 KB, 9 downloads)
Last edited by AK375DGR; 01/19/19. Reason: added info:

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've seen a USCG jet fly out in the Gulf of Mexico and drop a pump to a small vessel that was in distress just south of us. They dropped it right in the middle of the deck. Probably a 30 or 40 foot boat.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Last I knew the CG was dropping and transferring the P6 pump. Simple Honda engine with an optimistic capacity of 250GPM. They are a good bit lighter and lighter duty than the P250.

When delivered by aircraft they are cased in a plastic cube container. When delivered by boat they are delivered in an aluminum cylinder container. A helo will lower a lead bag attached to a trail line. The crew on the distressed vessel gets control of the trail line then guides the container aboard. The pilots are blind to stuff directly beneath them. In addition to providing greater control and safety with the use of the trail line, the helo can kind of drift back so that the pilots can see. When dropped from planes they use parachutes with a long line. When they are lucky, they can drape the line right over the vessel. That doesn't happen often.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coa...QzKAPIQ_AUIESgE&biw=1536&bih=762

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wanted to add that the come packed with a flashlight and a quick instruction card. On the Gulf Coast the instruction cards are written in English, Spanish and Vietnamese. The connections are color coded.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

Chip;,,,,,, Sorry, but a Pump with a 140 + foot of Vertical-Lift, is NOT Possible, not in this World anyway, see attached.
LJ cool

Well, for the hell of it , I googled '' 6 inch trash pump, 140 foot vertical lift'' and this popped up.

Its interesting

http://www.equipmentsourceinc.com/equipment/pumps/6-trailer-mounted-pump

6 inches, 2600 GPM, 140 foot head...Ive got experience with this stuff.....Ive had this sort draining the pit, filling the wash plant tank and moving water up and out where I dont need it, and often the only way to go is 'up'
I apologize for getting OT.........

Big Stick
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.