Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I'm enlightened. Now, where is my gun?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ohhh. He’s done “research”.

Alrighty.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure there's those that agree here...

You can't swat a 3/4 grown cub. Even if it's attacking you!

LOL

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've never been around bears either, but do wish people like this dummy would stop breeding and stay away from video equipment making movies that are going to get people killed.

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There is a big difference between being “attacked” and being “charged.” I surmise that this difference has (somewhat) skewed the data as relates the different percentages of effectiveness between pepper spray and lead spray. I’m not going to get into a pissing match with anyone about why I don’t carry bear spray but rely on firepower as the last and best for what I do and where I go. I feel for those that live in an area or state that have bears and they find out their local .gov worships them so much that anyone having a bear altercation could face hefty fines, loss of firearms etc. .

A couple of good points were made in this video. The fella from Alaska should loose the hip holster and get a shoulder harness. It was interesting to find out that hardcast was not lead. Never knew that...😉

I like the idea of having two types of protection rather than one. It should be retorical that the first line should be possession of a “good thinking cap.” I have already stated what number two is...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spray is statistically much better but you have to ask about the situations from which the statistics were drawn. Most people who obsess over bear defense and attacks aren't likely to encounter bears anyways. It's all too often some guy from Iowa with a Guide Gun and an active imagination.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was surprised he advocating butchering the bear up, wouldn't than lend the authorities into believing you shot the bear for the wrong reason, should he investigate the gun shot? .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Someone is going to end up bear poop one day.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Barkoff

I was surprised he advocating butchering the bear up, wouldn't than lend the authorities into believing you shot the bear for the wrong reason, should he investigate the gun shot? .

In Alaska (and other states) one is required to salvage the hide in a DLP encounter. Only the meat is required of black bears. At that juncture both belong to the State.

I believe his point was to rid the area of carrion that would attract other bears that might pose yet another hazard to other people...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Last summer I rode (motorcycle) over Alaska east to west and south to north. I also rode across Top of the World Highway to Eagle, 48 mile, Dawson and back up to the Arctic Ocean in the NWT of Canada to Tucktoyuktuk. The two forms of defense you get to carry back and forth, 1 is an air horn, 2 bear spray. Did I feel out gunned, absolutely, but wasn't willing to risk carrying illegally. The key to sleeping well, ride or do what ever activity your engaged in till your so tired you have to stop, hang your hammock and you'll sleep like a baby "bear". Once you get far enough north camping is completely discouraged but ultimately you decide what you will do, I rode for 20+ hours on those days to see what I wanted to see to get to where I felt relatively comfortable, everyone is different, I did this trip and Labrador solo so my experience is different than others, didn't cut my days or distances just to camp near perceived safety. Hell every one of these trips are an adventure with a degree of risk, plan it and live it,, if it is going to happen, you may stop it, then again you may not.
I found humor in the extremely angry marmot, ha ha. I believe anyone hunter or handgun enthusiast would prefer to carry if it weren't for the hassles of restrictions, extra weight is BS. When I pulled in to Eagle, 4 out of 5 people I saw had bear spray on and 3 were carrying that I could tell, that told me that the bear presence was very real and that these people that live there won't rely solely on bear spray.
I'LL LISTEN TO THE LOCALS EVERYTIME, over a guy who makes a video based on studies and surveys be it the fish and wildlife or how ever, because we'll never know how the samples were obtained or the results skewed the the result that they desire. Carry bear spray because we are the experts.

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would love to see this guy's video on self defense against a home invasion or an active shooter.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So... At least the guy who made the video is a regular shooter. I found his advice reasonable and backed up by data. So what is the problem.

I hunt northern montana every other year, for elk or deer. The locals I go with all carry bear spray, usually with a sidearm. I do what they do. I carry bear spray on a chest holster, and bring something bigger than a 30-06 for my hunting gun. Thankfully haven't had a confrontation.

Maybe someone with much more experience can say something here.

Grandpa fought Fascists in WWII, Dad fought Communists in Vietnam. - American is meant for the middle.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the video was just too painful to watch. I'll keep my own counsel.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this our first official, "What handgun for bear for 2019"? Or just the week?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So... At least the guy who made the video is a regular shooter. I found his advice reasonable and backed up by data. So what is the problem.

I agree, but most of the posts on this thread have been predictable. You can sum up the campfire's general consensus on this topic like this:

Real men don't carry spray.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
You use the spray after the bear is down,, man if you want to survive g and f.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
VERY!!!! Angry marmot....LOLOLLOOOLOLOLLLOOOOLO!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would wager a guess that after firing 6 rounds at an attacking bear, and he continues his attack, nobody ever said,"Damn I wish I would have brought my bear spray." cool

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,032
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.