-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Malcolm asked me to describe how to remove the saddle ring / saddle ring staple from a Savage 1899 Saddle Ring Carbine. It seems guys took these off a lot back in the day, probably because they were noisy. Most were probably cut off and tossed. Someone put a non-original ring back on mine (see the cut), and must have opened it up and then tried to close it with pliers, so it is out-of round. The original rings were solid, with no seam, so if you can find a suitable replacement you will want to pull the staple as well.

I have a few pics that I took when I had it apart that should help explain the process. Pulling the staple is easy with the right tools - the staple just press fits into the receiver.

1. Remove butt plate
2. Remove long butt screw
3. Gently remove butt stock (this is also a great time fix that Savage tang crack..)
4. As viewed from the top (see first pic), the right leg of the saddle ring staple is near the back edge of the left receiver side. Take a suitable sized punch (I used the heavier one seen in the second photo, the thin one is for the trigger pin), and insert the punch on the right leg of the staple from the right side of the receiver. The punch will be slightly canted, as you will hold it tight to the back edge of the right receiver side. Tap her out easy. Mine popped right out with moderate effort, a rusty one might take a little penetrating oil.
5. Whenever I find a ring to reinstall, I will simply put it on the staple and tap it back in with my brass hammer so I don't mar the staple. Note that the staple only fits one way - the right leg is longer than the left leg.
6. If it fits loosely, I will take a narrow tipped punch, and coming around from the back side I will roll a little bit of the receiver metal into the leg of the staple to peen it in place.

I am still looking for a good ring....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Check my post on your other thread.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two SRC made just before WWI. The rings are oval and not solid. How do you know your ring was not original?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hi NWH , That was a classic Post Young Man !

I read dallased Post in the other Thread and I am sure my 1903 SRC ring is original and it is split.

When I saw your pictures I immediately thought that your oblong ring might be original but just pulled hard to bend it out of round.

I may be wrong but I don't agree that ( all ) Savage made Saddle Rings were welded shut.

I just measured an 1903 made 303 Savage Saddle Ring Carbine saddle ring,100% sure it's all original.

OD = .925"

ID = .685"

Thickness of material used to make ring = .125".

All measuremants checked twice using good quality calipers. MF.

My idea was to heat red a length of .125" wire and wrap it round a .685" steel mandrel in a spiral (spring like configuration) and while still on the mandrel , slice it along the mandrel length , and close up each ring with pliers to use as saddle rings. One ring for every turn around the mandrel..y be wrong , but I personly don't agree that Savage made rings were ( all ) welded shut .

To re-install the staple ; Put your staple in the fridge freezer and warm your receiver up to @ 150 or so degrees Fahrenheit and the staple should drop right in. When the temperatures return to normal things will tighten up as the holes shrink and the staple legs expand.

Last edited by Malcolm; 01/18/19.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Malcolm for the feedback. That is a good idea about creating a temperature differential to get the staple back in if it is cantankerous. I have PM'd Dallased about the rings he may have, and will hopefully get to stick it back on soon.

Rick99, the guy I bought the rifle from told me that the ring was not original. Other than that it just looks funny to me. Not sure about the split/solid discussion.

IC B2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (01Foreman400, 257 mag, 257 roberts, 308ld, 2500HD, 160user, 15 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,330
Posts18,505,927
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.