Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never owned or shot an -06.

See my sig.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by captdavid
…. and rarely use it.
1. it is one of the three greatest big game cartridges ever, Along with the 7x57 and 375H&H

2. see the bottom of the page.

3. Its a great backup for My 7x57 on most of what do under 250yds.

4. It's a great back up for my heavy sporter 280 on the rare occasion I need to shoot something farther.

5. I'm a 'Traditionalist.

capt david

I have three. One is my Dad's Remington 742 (BDL) with a Weave 4x scope. One is the rifle he bought for me to hunt deer with, a Remington 742 carbine with a Weave 4x scope. The third I bought about 15 years ago, a Colt Light Rifle, which I put a Leupold 6x on. I've shot one animal with a .30-06 in the last 10 years, when I used my brother's Pre-war M70 to take a doe. I have rifles ranging from the .223 on up to the 8mm Mauser that are deer capable. Most are redundant, but I like having them around. I try to rotate which get used, so they at least seem to have a purpose. "Need" doesn't enter into the equation.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 30-06 and always will. It’ll work on every game animal I’m ever going to shoot and thus its so versatile. This versitility also makes it the perfect backup rifle. It’s as close to the perfect cartridge for North America as you’re going to get.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Arns9
I have a 30-06 and always will. It’ll work on every game animal I’m ever going to shoot and thus its so versatile. This versitility also makes it the perfect backup rifle. It’s as close to the perfect cartridge for North America as you’re going to get.

VERY convincing. Might you share some particulars?

Thanks!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Back when I first started deer hunting, most folks in my area used .308, 30-30, or 30-06 . I guess it is a holdover for me that I use a 30-30 or 30-06 most of the time. I have two 30-06s and critters I shoot with it usually are DRT. No need to change for me.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The less you "know" or "do"...the "better" it is.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used a number of .30/06 rifles over the years, and currently own two. One of them probably gets as much use as any other rifle I own, and has accounted for medium and big game numbered well into the triple figures, including goats, pigs, fallow, red and sambar deer. It seems to combine effectiveness on this range of game with moderate recoil, even in a light rifle. I've had long unbroken strings of one-shot kills with it - I think my best single day was 21 in a row, IIRC.

There again, there are other chamberings which will cover the same ground. A light, handy and accurate rifle in a chambering like 7x57 (I have one of those too) will do a similar job, as will several others I use or have used. Chambering is a fair way down the priority list IMHO: a decent bullet, good handling qualities and accuracy are rather more important.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For 99% of hunters/shooters it matters not a whit if their rifles/loads are capable of 1/2MOA accuracy or better at distances farther than two or three back yards. Keep that in mind when expounding on or decrying a particular rifle/load. Not all of American riflemen are cross-canyon mule deer shooters or bear/moose slayers in the Alaskan rain forest, or 1000 yard competitors- in fact very very few are. For those other folks, a generic factory .30-06 fed hohum factory ammo is still the Gold Standard, and no amount of proselytizing is likely to change that in the near future (well maybe the 6.5CM will due to the tons of ink slathered onto the glossy paper of the gun rags and the electrons sacrificed in its honor on these forums) . Certain Alaskan super-egoists notwithstanding.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have 3 of these as well also two 338’s two 375’s two 9.3’s two 270’s two 308 win’s 35 Whelen and so on,( redundant I know.)
love the 30/06. Not the best at anything but solid,reliable performer.

At some point my hobbies became my life.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The '06 sucks heavy ass,across the board and it's funnier than fhuqk...that Joe Average coddles same.

Hint........................

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's all you have to say?? C'mon, break out of your shell!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This guy introduced the 30-06 to me when I was born, He was using a 30-06 and guiding elk hunters before most of the people on this board were born. I shot it first when I was nine and killed everything in Montana at least several times with one. The 30-06 was and has been the 6.5 of the 20th Century...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The '06 was certainly best,when that's all there was.

Hint......................

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This guy introduced the 30-06 to me when I was born, He was using a 30-06 and guiding elk hunters before most of the people on this board were born. I shot it first when I was nine and killed everything in Montana at least several times with one. The 30-06 was and has been the 6.5 of the 20th Century...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Super uber cool. Thanks for sharing.

Jesus, the jaw on that guy could split oak- and make every girl in the county cross her legs. No wonder he used an '06!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/20/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A glass of water,would horn you up.

Congratulations?!?.......................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The '06 was certainly best,when that's all there was.

Hint......................

That pork chop your mom hung around your neck made you an angry man...

Laughin'....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your mind numbing fhuqking STUPIDITY,never ain't not a hoot. Congratulations?!?

Mainly...because you are doing your "best".

Hint............................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your mind numbing fhuqking STUPIDITY,never ain't not a hoot. Congratulations?!?

Mainly...because you are doing your "best".

Hint............................

Eating meal worms and fighting the cat for his dead mouse has made a survivor out of you. When it is all said and done, I may be funny to you, but you will always be a dwarf wearing red ball sneakers and posing as a gun owner...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A glass of water,would horn you up.

Congratulations?!?.......................

Why, thank you. Quite an observation from the out back of beyond where a spent hen salmon thrashing in the shallows is cause for y'all to stagger close while unzipping your Levi's....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I reckon you GOTTA "convince" yourself of SOMETHING. Who WASN'T toting an '06 or Turdy-Turdy in '47?!?

Bless your heart,you Retarded Fhuqk Stick.

Hint..........................

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10Glocks, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 74 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,961
Posts18,480,521
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.