Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What do you take for first aid supplies?

Not exclusively meant to be what you would take in the backcountry either. What you would carry on even a day hunt where the vehicle might be miles away.

Do you make up you own first aid kit or buy one of those already made up ones.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the hunting pack I use one I bought with other things added as needed. For the truck I have a very complete kit with trauma items.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks NV.

When the kids were little and along on the adventures, I used to be pretty prepared with one in the pack and one in the truck. Now that they are grown, I feel like I got lazy with being prepared for accidents.

Which brand do you have for the pack and truck?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Day hunts,I have band aids, Wound Seal, a roll of Colflex (vetwrap), Neosporin, small bottle of super glue, advil. sterno tabs, alcohol swabs Cam, a full first aid kit.

For those that are flush with money, look at the new Zipstitch. About $30 for one suture closure kit for about an inch and a half laceration

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/20/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lonny
Thanks NV.

When the kids were little and along on the adventures, I used to be pretty prepared with one in the pack and one in the truck. Now that they are grown, I feel like I got lazy with being prepared for accidents.

For the pack I have one like this I bought at REI. It has extra room so I added other items to it.
REI

The truck kit is one I have had for years originally put together by a scout troop as a fund raiser. It's very complete including sutures, trauma bandages, tourniquet, meds, etc.
Here are a couple of previous threads on the subject:

First Aid

Sample kit

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
for the truck i go to wal-mart in august and buy a new $20.00 first aid to carry in truck. when in the field just rope and a roll of black electrician tape couple of band aids.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
In my pack I carry: 1 quik clot combat gauze, 3 pri med compressed gauze that can be used as compress or bandage, 2 large triangular bandages, 2 chlora prep for wound cleaning, 5 4"steri strips for wound closure, 2tincture of benzoin poppers to make the steri strips/tape stick to the skin, assorted band aids. There is duct tape in my survival kit if needed. Every thing fits in a 1 quart zip lock bag and weighs 6oz. I also carry on my kit bag a SOF t 1 1/2" tourniquet.

TThe truck always has a full trauma kit and an owee kit.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This has been on my mind lately. My first aid kits are due for a serious refresh/update.

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Lonny
Thanks NV.

For the pack I have one like this I bought at REI. It has extra room so I added other items to it.
REI

The truck kit is one I have had for years originally put together by a scout troop as a fund raiser. It's very complete including sutures, trauma bandages, tourniquet, meds, etc.
Here are a couple of previous threads on the subject:

First Aid

Sample kit

NV, Thanks a bunch for digging up those old threads!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my backpacking first aid kit, outside of hunting, is in the 3-4 oz range, my hunting first aid kit is a little over 9 oz; hunting tends to be heavy on the pointy, sharp things and things that go boom smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice Warden!

Thanks for posting the pics also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
besides the obvious stuff, upper left hand corner is a tyvek triangular bandage, next to it is a hobby syringe- cut off part of the tip and makes for a great irrigator (pretty light too), combat gauze (infused w/ quik clot), couple of packs of Steri-strips- these rock for wound closure!, some 4x4's, small shears, ace bandage, and Leukotape- quite a bit of it actually- make bandages, wrap, repair and bar none the best blister tape I've used, bag of meds with a few regular bandaids, triple antibiotic, tweezers and probably a few things I'm forgetting smile

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the list. Very helpful.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I carry two tourniquet's and Sutures. Combat gauze is a must, as is webbing straps with plastic buckles.

Edit to add. A small notebook. To write down times, treatments, meds, etc....

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/21/19.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,104
Posts18,522,417
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.