Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Eric308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
When hunting with exposed turret scope, any problems with accidental moving of the turrets? Solutions?

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Zero stop and being cognizant of what you're doing. I haven't had any issues with them moving on various applications.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Electrical tape on the windage always and sometimes on the elevator

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huskemaw offers the option of capped and or covered. Yes turrets can move a click here or there. In my experience not enough to miss though

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Get a scope where the turrets lock.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny, I’ve backpacked for several years with the Leupold CDS, which is undoubtedly “soft” to turn, yet I’ve never had one turn over 100+ miles of hiking/climbing. Said all that to say, I don’t think it’s an issue.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I went hunting this afternoon and noticed my turret was a half mil low, turned it back to zero and killed a big doe at 550. I don’t see what all the fuss is about, quit being a dumb_a and check your equipment. Having a scope that moves where you dial it is waay more important imho.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one scope I use for hunting that has turrets hasn't had trouble with moving.

Sticking out like a sore thumb and catching stuff, yes.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It depends on how you hunt, and how easily your turrets turn. With my NF, no worries, they never get accidentally turned. With others, well. . .

On any hunting scope I reset the turrets after zeroing, so if a turret did get turned, I would see it.

Anyway I don't see it as a problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only problem would be with something like a CDS setup that has no scale to tell you how many turns you may have used. I always put a zero stop on mine, so that's not an issue.

One Nightforce I have (an SHV) has no zero stop, but does have a reference so you can tell if you are one turn off or not.

I really like the Zero stop on the NXS I have, and turning the turrets is a deliberate affair, it'd be hard to accidentally turn it.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You
Originally Posted by Brad
Funny, I’ve backpacked for several years with the Leupold CDS, which is undoubtedly “soft” to turn, yet I’ve never had one turn over 100+ miles of hiking/climbing. Said all that to say, I don’t think it’s an issue.

All depends on the type of ground/vegetation you hunt in. They turn but nothing a strip of electrical tape won’t fix.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eric308
When hunting with exposed turret scope, any problems with accidental moving of the turrets? Solutions?

Tape them down if they tend to be soft like the CDS.

My brother missed a nice buck at about 150 yards last fall due to his CDS elevation getting spun somewhere along the way. He had it get moved again a couple clicks and now he tapes the elevation down.

I've had the CDS move on me once and found myself looking dozens of times a day to check it and it had the zero stop. I sold it and went capped SHV. Much less worry now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
exposed turret scopes I have carried. 2 different NXS scopes, a CDS leupold and a huskemaw, and a zeiss conquest, ALL have had the turret move a click here or there. but its not something that should cause a miss. again I agree it should be something you watch and check.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with the capped SHV, but still wished it had a zero-stop. I have no complaint with the glass, its dialing and RTZ are very accurate, but I still check the scale to make sure it is not one turn off. If it had a stop, it would unquestionably be my mostest favorite.

I bought a 2.5-8X36 VX-3i through the Custom Shop with a one-turn CDS that locks on zero, similar to the CDS-ZL2, and it helps with the worry that comes with the soft clicks of the CDS system. It locks on zero, and only goes one turn. That is ample for my needs. I only had one occasion while hunting this year using that scope where I had to dial some elevation, and that amounted to 3.25 MOA. I think the locking turret is a great idea with the CDS system.

It's not real clear, but here is a pic of the scope.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
All of my scopes have a zero stop, but I haven't had to adjust any of them while hiking/hunting.

However a saddle scabbard will wind them up and down, and not just a few clicks,

Something thing to watch.

Lefty C

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Maybe I'm missing something here, but doesn't taping exposed turrets, especially elevation, kind of the defeat the purpose of having exposed turrets?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Maybe I'm missing something here, but doesn't taping exposed turrets, especially elevation, kind of the defeat the purpose of having exposed turrets?

huskemaw, its pretty surprising no one else offers the option of running capped or exposed on the same scope. there is no reason why the knobs can't be small enough to also have a cap over them so they can be used with out without a cap.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It may take a second or two to remove the tape, but you have the assurance that your rifle is still on zero if a fast, close-up shot is needed. This is especially important in the scenario described by leftycarbon. It offers pretty much the same protection from inadvertent turning same as a capped turret. Without a zero-stop or a reference to check against, you wouldn't know where you are. The Leupold CDS system can be very susceptible to this. With no zero-stop and the turret cap not moving (like the M1 turret), one could turn the turret to its limit of travel and not know it.

It's a field expedient fix.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

huskemaw, its pretty surprising no one else offers the option of running capped or exposed on the same scope. there is no reason why the knobs can't be small enough to also have a cap over them so they can be used with out without a cap.

Tract's 1" Toric scopes come with two elevation dials. One a regular size and one a little taller for dialing. Both have caps. The taller can be run without caps, has a zero stop, and is a lift to dial setup so it's locked until lifted. Only down side is it's limited to 18 MOA up once the zero-stop is set....which is plenty for me. Really nice design all the way around.

Back to the original question, I've had several move over the years. I like a zero stop....are really wish companies would start capping windage.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

No. It takes about 2 seconds to take a strip of electric tape off a turret. Less time than unscrewing a cap and then tucking it away. Less of a pia than getting to the animal and then realizing you need to go back and find your cap you hastily left at the scene of the shot. All mine get a strip of tape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 63 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.