-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
I have a Bushnell 10x30 sporting scope I bought 30 years ago for use on the rifle range. It has always been hard to get lined up in a 100 yard target. At one range where we had 200 yard targets I was ready to pull my hair out. If the bench is not big enough to accommodate the scope there is the added hassle of getting to the knees and getting in line with the scope. Would one of the scopes with an angled eye piece make getting on the target easier? Or is this what you put up with not to walk back and forth?
I usually keep the old scope set on a low power setting.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A taller tripod would help considerably. That way, you could stand up and look through it.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, a taller tripod is an easy solution, and they don't need to cost much. A heavier tripod will tend to be steadier than a light one though, if you don't need to carry it around, and better quality ones may offer better pan and tilt, and stay put better. I bought one from a camera store, which has done double duty under a camera.

The great beauty of an angled eyepiece scope though is that you can set it up right next to your shooting position, such that you only need to turn your head slightly (without changing any aspect of your shooting position) to spot your shots. For the range I prefer this type, though a straight one is perhaps just a bit easier to get on target in the field.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Trying to line up that scope DOES sound pretty sporting...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the suggestions fellows. I'll try a tripod that can be used while standing up. I've looked around and found a couple that can be had for less than $200.
Funny thing about a spotting scope. Several friends have used it while sighting in rifles with me and thought it was a wonderful accessory, but none of them have gone on to purchase one for their kit. But at least they are classy enough to not borrow it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well, or sitting down. I use a "stand up" tripod, but sometimes I am sitting down and use it that way. But that IS the answer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,290
Posts18,525,706
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.