Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
gnoahhh Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Both long barreled and short. Dependent of course upon what the fellowship owns- between 20 and 26". Loads chronographed. (Anybody here have a pressure testing gizmo?) Test equipment/setups to be included- we aren't all created equal in our marksmanship capabilities, nor are our rifles. The more different barrel lengths are included the more fair/honest the data would be, and provide guidance to more gun owners. We could break the tradition of major bullet/powder makers of providing data for only one barrel length per cartridge.

This would be a layman's effort. No pressure barrels or machine rests. Scopes? Of course, I'm not opposed to their use in the pursuit of pure accuracy. (My campaigning for peep sight use is based entirely on ergonomics.) We're talking about a grass roots approach here, with suitable legal rejoinders in place.

Start out small, limit it to one caliber (.303?), and add to the database with other cartridges as we go along?

I feel like Bluto (John Belushi) in the "Animal House" scene where he excoriates the frat house to get even after Dean Wormer expels them. (The Germans bombing Pearl Harbor, etc. etc.)

Admittedly, some of this is in jest and/or tongue in cheek. But you know such an undertaking really does have merit.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/20/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by olgrouser
+1

"I’d buy a copy of your book if it came with an autograph"

However, consider not only the Savage calibers but also the early Winchester calibers for which the rifles were loaded: 30-30, [though almost identical to the Sav. 303] 25-35, 32-40, 38-55 etc. and others that have fallen out of popular favour. smile

Point taken, Bert. But ambition needs to be tempered with caution, at least at first.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think there’s merit there and a lot of info and experience to pull from on this forum. Hell, I think it’s a great use of the power of the web. Now I have to ask, are you thinking about actually proof testing other guy’s recipes and will you be including centerfolds? Actually just kidding on that last part, but still...

I love the scene where Bluto is “rallying the troops” when they are all busted at the end of Animal House and says “do we give up? No. Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Noooo!” As you aptly pointed out.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Will I actually proof test? Hell no, unless we pass the hat for some expensive digital proof testing gear. It's becoming more affordable but still too rich for my coffee. Therein may well point out the Achilles's Heel of my proposal.

As for centerfolds, yes indeedy. I propose Saddlering in the nude on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace for Volume 1 Issue 1. Joe Martin in a Speedo mowing grass for issue #2.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That’s funny but as tempting as it sounds I may have to steel you some centerfolds from old copies in the library. Have any preferences for months and years? Seems to me Ursula Andress was in there someplace. I wouldn’t mind seeing her cutting grass in the buff back in the day!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Volume 1 Number 1, Playboy. Marilyn Monroe.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gnoahhh, I have a bunch of velocity data for IMR 4895 and Leverrevolution with 150 gr Hornady RN for 20, 22, 24, and 26" barrels that I have been meaning to post. I have some Barnes 190's on order, for my next round of tests. I would love to see some good loads for the 303 that are tested and approved by others to confirm what I have done with LVR especially, or to tell me I am on the wrong track and something bad might happen...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hell, I’d buy two copies if they came with a centerfold!
pick a Femme Fatal from each year of introduction. wow that would be a blast from the past!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"Hodgdon reloading data site to see just what they had cooked up for the .303 (given the resurgence here on the Forum), and guess what- there's one lone entry. That's pretty sad. What's worse there's zero data for the mighty .22 HiPower. "

That ain't nuthin. They don't even have any data for the 300 Savage. Whiskey, tango, foxtrot...………….not like there are not a few of them in circulation.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dallased
"Hodgdon reloading data site to see just what they had cooked up for the .303 (given the resurgence here on the Forum), and guess what- there's one lone entry. That's pretty sad. What's worse there's zero data for the mighty .22 HiPower. "

That ain't nuthin. They don't even have any data for the 300 Savage. Whiskey, tango, foxtrot...………….not like there are not a few of them in circulation.

need to look again. they have data from 100g to 200g and most in between

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,273
Posts18,505,012
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.