J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by sse
the same way you would season the bore of a match grade rifle barrel

Lead and gun powder? Rem oil? Hoppes?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Jim,

I wasn't sure they allowed antiperspirant to cross the border into TN.

Geno

PS is it a sin if I season my CI skillet right side up in the oven?

You do what you want Geno! Free country.

This cast iron debate strikes me kind of like a person who buys a new motorcycle.

Naturally you want to take care of it, but eventually its going to get dirty.

You can polish your motorcycle all day long....or you could ride the damn thing!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jim,

birds bother the safflower much when you grew it.

I know the chippies love it when I get some of the commercial songbird stuff.

Had some come up when I used to plant a bit of my parrot's food in the garden. Pretty cool flowers/plants.

Geno

Not that we could tell Geno.

Those seeds are pretty well impossible to get to until you thresh it out.

Good armor too. See deer running along like jerks......they slow right down when the enter a field of safflower.

Most times they turn around.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Someone said the seasoning is carbon buildup. Not exactly correct. The seasoning is actually polymerized oil from cooking temps that’s black due to the carbon that’s mixed in with it. All that bonds with the cast iron surface, creating a nonstick finish. With just a little butter, my fried eggs literally slide off the skillet onto my plate.

Correct.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Someone said the seasoning is carbon buildup. Not exactly correct. The seasoning is actually polymerized oil from cooking temps that’s black due to the carbon that’s mixed in with it. All that bonds with the cast iron surface, creating a nonstick finish. With just a little butter, my fried eggs literally slide off the skillet onto my plate.

Isn't the polymerized oil comprised of long chain hydrocarbons? Shouldn't that count as a carbon buildup?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just use a little kosher salt and a paper towel on a warmed up piece of CI and wipe around. That takes off any gunk. Let cool and wipe into trash.

The griddle I used last night to sear some left over prime rib for the beef, cheddar and onion melt sandwiches last night.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What brand of griddle is that, and did you grind it smooth or was it that way out of the box?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This guy is fun to watch - and IMHO, knows his stuff:

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lodge. Nope just washed it with soap and hot water out of the box about 10 years ago and started using it. Hasn't touched water since.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FatCity67,

Believe it or NOT, my grandmother had her mother's deep/16 inch skillet (It came to TX from MS in 1896, by oxcart..) & it has NEVER been washed since my G-Grandmother received it for a wedding present at Christmas of 1894. She passed it on in 1917 to my grandmother. = Wiped out, "swirled with grease", heated to near "smoking" & stored away, after each use.
(My kid sister now "has custody of" the skillet until my 28YY niece gets custody of it & then, in turn passes it on to another generation of ladies in our family.)

yours, tex

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DarlaG
FatCity67,

Believe it or NOT, my grandmother had her mother's deep/16 inch skillet (It came to TX from MS in 1896, by oxcart..) & it has NEVER been washed since my G-Grandmother received it for a wedding present at Christmas of 1894. She passed it on in 1917 to my grandmother. = Wiped out, "swirled with grease", heated to near "smoking" & stored away, after each use.
(My kid sister now "has custody of" the skillet until my 28YY niece gets custody of it & then, in turn passes it on to another generation of ladies in our family.)

yours, tex

Very cool

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67
[Linked Image]

I have the same griddle and have been smoothing it a little at a time with this disk.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-...Quick-Strip-Disc-PNW040100D01G/202830913

Got the idea from one of the cast iron guys on YouTube. No danger of harming the surface after using it a few times and there's a noticeable difference on the surface performance.

Check this guy out.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=culinary+fanatic+cast+iron+seasoning

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To All,

I really "started something", when I said that I would share my husband's "antique recipe" for Mississippi-style CORNBREAD.

As of 110PM CST today, 14 people have asked for/received the recipe.

Sincerely, DarlaG

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Why don't you just post it in the food forum?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Late addition to the thread. It works but buy a jug of elbow grease. Easy to control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLV7fd0-fQ&t=109s

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jim,

I wasn't sure they allowed antiperspirant to cross the border into TN.

Geno

PS is it a sin if I season my CI skillet right side up in the oven?

You do what you want Geno! Free country.

This cast iron debate strikes me kind of like a person who buys a new motorcycle.

Naturally you want to take care of it, but eventually its going to get dirty.

You can polish your motorcycle all day long....or you could ride the damn thing!

Thanks for the dispensation Jim,

I just didn't want to go to CI hell for violating some commandment about the orientation of my skillet in the oven.

Now that you mentioned it, I kinda remember them dang safflower plants, they were a bit prickly.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. It looked smoother than the Lodges I’ve seen but those were probably all recent production.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Addenda to post # 13481231:

"The family cast iron skillet" likely cost about 15 cents in 1894 from (likely) the Sears & Roebuck's catalog.

Money, in 2019, won't buy it.

Note: I usually hunt for antique cast iron kitchen pieces at Salvation Army & Goodwill stores, as well as at estate & garage sales. = MANY over a century-old & "better than new" cast iron, pots, skillets, griddles, muffin pans, etc. can be found in those places, often for less than 10 dollars each, by the way.
(My latest "iron treasure" is a 3 gallon stew-pot with lid. - It has 3 two-inch long feet on the bottom for cooking in a fireplace or campfire & likely is PRE-Civil War, from the company's marking on the bottom. - The price was 5 dollars cash, from a garage sale in Bandera, TX.)

Sincerely, DarlaG

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by FatCity67
[Linked Image]

I have the same griddle and have been smoothing it a little at a time with this disk.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-...Quick-Strip-Disc-PNW040100D01G/202830913

Got the idea from one of the cast iron guys on YouTube. No danger of harming the surface after using it a few times and there's a noticeable difference on the surface performance.

Check this guy out.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=culinary+fanatic+cast+iron+seasoning

Hah!

I have two, so there.

[Linked Image]

This morning's pancakes, non-stick version. Paper towel with a bit of butter rubbed on griddle between cakes and I have no issues. The one on the left is probably 15 (?) years old, the one on the right has more of a curved handle and I think is about 10. They're still a bit rough, as I haven't gotten after them with the disc yet. No real need mostly, just a preference to have them smoother.

I still cannot understand why, in this day and age, these things are sent through a machine grinder for a few minutes. Cost of set up might be a drag on the profit margin for Lodge, but finished product would not require gyrations by the consumer to get a finish like granma's skillet. Charge me and extra $1 or two.

Geno

PS, no seasoning was harmed in the making of these pictures.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, afisher, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.