Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Let’s have er.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jud, I just came across this old thread. The past few weeks I've been using a Slik 634 carbon tripod with a Slik SH707E head. It's not as steady, or easy to use standing up as my aluminum manfrotto, but I sure like packing it better! I'm happy with it, when I'm going as light as possible, but still need a decent tripod.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Gracias pard..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I went through this recently too, after you made this thread in January. I have a few tripods, and take different ones depending on circumstances.

I've got Slik, Manfrotto and Field Optics. Aside from weight and packability, I have found that the tripod itself makes little difference. It is the head that is key, and others I have talked to believe this too. Ball heads are useful for many things, and most certainly have their place, but a quality pan head makes gridding a mountainside much easier, as you'll be sweeping on a level horizontal (or vertical, if you prefer) plane, without accidentally "migrating" if you will up and down as you can easily can do with a ball head. A good pan head will allow you to 100% cover a hillside and easily lock the position when you see something. Does that make sense? Re-finding something after you loose it in your binocs is frustrating and something I think all western hunters have dealt with. A quality pan head will prevent this.

Right now I run a Field Optics FT6229C and a Manfrotto 190 when I am not going too far in, and a Slik Sprint Mini II if I need weight to be at a minimum. None are tall enough to glass standing up, but I find glassing from the standing position to be too shaky anyhow, even with a quality tripod with weight on the hook. The Slik Sprint Mini II isn't real stable due to it's weight and small size, so I may continue my search for both the Hemi and the good gas mileage. I do 100% prefer carbon to aluminum, regardless of the price.

Here's my Field Optics tripod with FPH-230 pan head. This head is OK for panning, but I am upgrading it soon. I am still researching what I want, but won't be going cheap.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tinman, let us know what you find for a panhead to go on that tripod. I agree about the panhead, I like the two directions to be independent. The slik head I'm using now works okay for panning if I get the tension just right, otherwise it's a pain. I like the manfrotto 128rc head but it's heavy, need to find a good lightweight fluid panhead.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.