Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
My Superlite 708 has shot some amazing 4-5 shot groups then proceeds to string them badly horizontally too when it gets hot

I think a little more load development, with the bullet at the proper seating depth will calm the spread a little on this little rifle. I feel better now, after its properly bedded and freefloated though. Finding a good node is the next step..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The way you find out if the stringing is due to heat, shoot a couple of shots. Go do something for 30 minutes, come back, do the same and so on, till you get to 10.

You are assuming, and probably correctly, that the stringing is related to heat rather than shooter wearing out, which can happen after just a few shots, so you test around that issue..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Superlite 708 has shot some amazing 4-5 shot groups then proceeds to string them badly horizontally too when it gets hot

You need to let the barrel cool. No amount of load development, glass bedding, finding that perfect node, is going to help a hot barrel.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

You need to let the barrel cool. No amount of load development, glass bedding, finding that perfect node, is going to help a hot barrel.

Im not castle rock, but ill guarantee ill get this Tikka shooting sub moa 10 shot groups, like i said, with a little load development. These barrels are pretty good, unless its stressed from machining, it should lay them into a nice tight group, even when it is warm. Im not saying when its "hot" because i don't like to get them really warm/hot. Thats not good for the barrel. I'll generally shoot 1 round per minute, as that is the normal routine we use when shooting competition. For me, thats a good rule of thumb to go by, when shooting my bolt actions.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Im not castle rock, but ill guarantee ill get this Tikka shooting sub moa 10 shot groups, like i said, with a little load development. These barrels are pretty good, unless its stressed from machining, it should lay them into a nice tight group, even when it is warm. Im not saying when its "hot" because i don't like to get them really warm/hot. Thats not good for the barrel. I'll generally shoot 1 round per minute, as that is the normal routine we use when shooting competition. For me, thats a good rule of thumb to go by, when shooting my bolt actions.

We/you are not the norm at ranges. I seen guys shoot a box of 300 wsm in rifle in a span of 20 minutes. Not knowing how ol boy shoots, but when I hear horizontal stringing I instantly think way too hot of a barrel. Unless you are lucky like I was today and shoot in 9 degree weather. My barrel never got warm 😜. I seen guys blaze through 2-3 30rds through an AR in less than 15 minutes ( which is a good reason never to buy a used AR) when it's warm out I will set my timer on my phone too 2 minute intervals.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

We/you are not the norm at ranges. I seen guys shoot a box of 300 wsm in rifle in a span of 20 minutes. Not knowing how ol boy shoots, but when I hear horizontal stringing I instantly think way too hot of a barrel. Unless you are lucky like I was today and shoot in 9 degree weather. My barrel never got warm 😜. I seen guys blaze through 2-3 30rds through an AR in less than 15 minutes ( which is a good reason never to buy a used AR) when it's warm out I will set my timer on my phone too 2 minute intervals.

Yep, I've seen it too. Good on you to keep an eye on that barrel. I will often reach up and lay my hand across the barrel right in front of the scope and if its approaching too warm, I'll take a few minutes to give the girl a rest. I used to take that 30-06 I sold to you, to the range every time I went and when the rifle I was shooting, started getting too warm, I'd shoot groups with that ol 06. I always keep in mind, what if I sell one of these rifles to someone here on the fire. I don't want people thinking just because I shoot 10 shot groups, that I'm just laying waste to my barrels and ruining them for the next guy. You know from shooting that 30-06, that that is definitely not the case. That rifle will shoot moa 10 shot groups too, with the right load...

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So y'all really don't know what your guns will do when they get hot?

All of my entries were shot back to back as soon as the sights settle. I did shoot 10 then walk down to look at the target, walk back and shoot 10 more with the 22-250AI Montana.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR

All of my entries were shot back to back as soon as the sights settle. I did shoot 10 then walk down to look at the target, walk back and shoot 10 more with the 22-250AI Montana.

Thats cool. This thread isnt about how fast you can burn the throat out of your rifle. Theres also no stipulation on how quick you need to get your 20 shots downrange. Theres always been talk about firing 1 cold bore shot per day, to see how your rifle groups those shots. If you want to talk to the OP and put a time limit on this challenge, im game, but ill use my AR's. I dont feel like unnecessarily burning up my good bolt actions wink

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
grin

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

We are happy for you.... so when you shot these 10 shot groups how warm was it?

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't remember when I shot them but I shoot year round and I've yet to toast a barrel with 20 shots.

But if y'all are happy then I'm happy for ya.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This challenge is about putting 2 10 shot groups on the same paper. How you do it and how long it takes probably doesnt matter, as long as you are following the rules laid out in the OP. One thing i can say about TWR, at least you shot the event. You did quite well, with an extremely lightweight hunting rifle. For that, you have my respect.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This challenge is about putting 2 10 shot groups on the same paper. How you do it and how long it takes probably doesnt matter, as long as you are following the rules laid out in the OP. One thing i can say about TWR, at least you shot the event. You did quite well, with an extremely lightweight hunting rifle. For that, you have my respect.

Yes, but it would be very hard to do this in 90 degree weather. I tried load development in Colorado in the summer beautiful day. Only problem it was in the high80’s, I tried the 2 minute between shots, I just could not keep the barrel cool/warm,it was just plain a$$ hot. If anyone was going to do this challenge, right now is the time to do it..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Yes, but it would be very hard to do this in 90 degree weather. I tried load development in Colorado in the summer beautiful day. Only problem it was in the high80’s, I tried the 2 minute between shots, I just could not keep the barrel cool/warm,it was just plain a$$ hot. If anyone was going to do this challenge, right now is the time to do it..

Hell yes on both accounts. Last summer we had a shooting restriction here. I was itching to shoot my, then, new 6.5 creedmoor. I usually write the temperature on my targets, so i can make note of what changes occur, as the temp changes.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Im taking the Tikka, the NF, and the 139 scenars out this weekend and will see about putting together an official entry for this.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You guys don't take anything to cool your barrels to the range??

I either use CO2 or ice water. If I don't, I'm not shooting much in the summer.

On another note, for those of you having a tough time getting the targets, I found that I had to save it as a PDF and open this file rather than straight from the website or it wouldn't print.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I looked back and I shot this challenge on September 30th which here in Oklahoma is usually mild temps. We do shoot steel in the hot summer temps that reach 100+ and 20 shots back to back are not out of the question. Yes it can and is done. Shooting back to back even in the heat, let's you know what your gun will do. If it strings off target, you need to fix it.

As for burning throats, I tried to burn one while fire forming a 243AI barrel in the summer. Formed 100 cases back to back then worked up a load with it and shot it for almost 2 years before finally sending the gun off for a new barrel and it would still shoot 5 shots under an inch. Barrels are cheap!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Im taking the Tikka, the NF, and the 139 scenars out this weekend and will see about putting together an official entry for this.

Excellent. I was hoping you were going to join in on all the fun grin

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Was able to slip away and shoot today. Weather was overcast and around 38-39 degrees. Wind was around 5-8 mostly left to right as I shot. As a recap, the rifle is a Stock Tikka T3X 6.5. The stock does have the modular vertical grip piece and has been painted. Talley rings/NF SHV 3-10x42 MOAR. The load is 139 a scenar behind 43.5 of H4350, Norma Brass, CCI BR2, 2.860" OAL.

I shot all 20 rounds off the tailgate of my pickup with Front and Rear sand bags.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is the targets and results. Please note, after the first 10 rounds, I did make a 1/4 MOA elevation adjustment as I need my zero approx 1.9" high at 100 and I was sighted in closer to 2.1" high. Overall this rifle did exactly what it has done every time.

I was a little upset on the first group - left side of target - as I pulled the top flyer and knew right away.

My results netted groups at 1.114” and .904". This averages out and gives me an official entry of 1.009" for 20 shots fired.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hiaring8; 01/23/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice. That's a damn fine looking Tikka and great shooting. Looks like you are right at .964 MOA. Well done... I'm hoping to get my new Tikka down below that 1 moa mark as well... Got some loads waiting for friday. I'm hoping it's going to be a good day without much wind and rain!!!!!

BSA MAGA
Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.