Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I bought a Boone Scope advertised for a 99, but it has a Rem 760 base. Will that base work on an 1899H, or any other 99 model? The holes line up fine, but the alignment looks slightly off to my naked eye.

Thank you

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
There will be a small gap underneath because the 760 receiver is a little slimmer but it will work fine.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So how do those Boone’s stack up, scope wise? An informal review of their performance compared to other period glass and maybe some new stuff would be interesting to read.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not much good to say. I've owned at least a dozen over the years. It is a very clever design and works well if the internals don't come apart. The weak spot is the mirror assembly. It has 3 mirrors that shift the image from objective to ocular. The glue lets go and the mirror falls off. It can be reglued IF you can get the scope apart. The end caps are threaded to the body. Some unscrew and most don't.

The crosshair is easily damaged by curious owners who unscrew the ocular lens and poke around in there. I've fixed a bunch of those.

The windage and elevation adjustments are affected by a plate that is moved by the adjustment screws. If you back either adjustment screw out too far the plate slips by and you're SOL. It can be fixed if you can get the scope apart.

So, clever design but reliability is a crap shoot. I would never take one hunting without a backup. The optics is so-so. The little mirrors inside have a tendency to cloud up.

I do have a 4X that I use on Granddad's 1899B at the range. It has held up well but I handle it carefully.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My little 2.5 has about 25% of the view obstructed by the front sight post.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like an interesting novelty from the past. Thanks for the review!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RAS
My little 2.5 has about 25% of the view obstructed by the front sight post.

Have you sighted it in or bore sighted it yet? I do recall that was another in the minus column though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Not much good to say. I've owned at least a dozen over the years. It is a very clever design and works well if the internals don't come apart. The weak spot is the mirror assembly. It has 3 mirrors that shift the image from objective to ocular. The glue lets go and the mirror falls off. It can be reglued IF you can get the scope apart. The end caps are threaded to the body. Some unscrew and most don't.

The crosshair is easily damaged by curious owners who unscrew the ocular lens and poke around in there. I've fixed a bunch of those.

The windage and elevation adjustments are affected by a plate that is moved by the adjustment screws. If you back either adjustment screw out too far the plate slips by and you're SOL. It can be fixed if you can get the scope apart.

So, clever design but reliability is a crap shoot. I would never take one hunting without a backup. The optics is so-so. The little mirrors inside have a tendency to cloud up.

I do have a 4X that I use on Granddad's 1899B at the range. It has held up well but I handle it carefully.

I've long thought that the auxiliary peep sight was the best thing about the Boone Saturn scopes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
260Remguy - and that's not saying much about the glass

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by S99VG
260Remguy - and that's not saying much about the glass

That would be because the Boone Saturn scopes appear to have been designed by Rube Goldberg.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Clever idea - not so much on execution grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It sounds much like the Warner and Swasey scopes (or musket sights) that were used on the 1903 Springfield in WWI.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10ring1, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,077
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.