Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

what are you guys using for your sticks?...….am looking for some to use while sitting and calling...…..no bipods...……...bob

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a set of Sniper Styxs that work well. As I get older and hunt different terrains and more on a stool than a low seat I've been using XC Poles with the baskets removed and painted camo. I have a set painted white for snow and when I strap on the skis to get out in the deeper snow, left the baskets on these. I just loop the wrist straps over the other pole and it makes a nice saddle for the rifle to sit in. They are fairly long so they work well on hillsides , sitting on a stool and even standing in the thicker flats. They are also very handi to help get in and out of washes and climbing hillsides. Trekking poles work just as well.

Everything goes on the back scabbard so my hands are free to use poles, they are handy for poking around for buzz worms before sitting down.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 01/23/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny you should mention that. I was just about to google up a camera monopod in lightweight carbon fiber. I saw an old guy using one for walking and photography, and decided I can use one of those. It was easy to adjust for length. And I’ll be watching this post to see what others suggest.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BobMt: I have all manner of "shooting sticks" - one legged ones, two legged ones and three legged ones.
I have come to the conclusion (several years ago) that the good'ole Harris tall swiveling bi-pod serves my Hunting purposes/shooting better.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

You might take a look at the sticks made by Verne Howey. Verne was a WY gov hunter and came up with the design quite a few years ago. They're not a factory made thing, but lots of predator hunters use them.

Several years ago, I was shooting ground squirrels with Fieldgrade(Campfire member) and he had a set. He was making shots on 200+ yard squirrels while sitting with boring regularity. I found a set and bought'em. Good solid sticks.

IC B2

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Lonny....looked them up...cant tell if they adjust for height.....or when sitting do you cant them out?....they look good, maybe a little heavy....

but that probably means they are not flimsy...….will order set tomorrow......bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can make a set pretty quickly.
I use electrical fence fiberglass rods, green castrating bands, drill one end and glue in arrow field tips so they stick in the ground, no slipping, 4 bands 3" from one end, slip 3/8" clear tubing on each end so they don't make noise, you have a custom set that will last & last with out much cost.
Height is easily changes by opening them up or closing.
[Linked Image]DSC00038

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

No adjustment other than you open the legs wider to get them lower. The yoke pivots independently from the legs so even on you can make the rifle level. They are pretty stout, but I would't consider them heavy. I've been finding they work as short walking sticks on the steep hills. They are pretty long, but that works well when the snow is say 6-8 inches deep and the sticks sink in, but you are sitting on top of the snow

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Lonny
Bob,

No adjustment other than you open the legs wider to get them lower. The yoke pivots independently from the legs so even on you can make the rifle level. They are pretty stout, but I would't consider them heavy. I've been finding they work as short walking sticks on the steep hills. They are pretty long, but that works well when the snow is say 6-8 inches deep and the sticks sink in, but you are sitting on top of the snow

I went brain dead for a moment.....of course you spread them out......the yoke pivoting would be key....website said touch over 3 pounds.

5spd......thanks ……..bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not much flimsier, than glass fence stakes.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use a Primos Trigger Stick bipod. Have used this for years.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve used several different sets of sticks over the years..... none of them hold a candle to the SFT.

[Linked Image]

Works pretty good as a rear rest too....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I’ve used several different sets of sticks over the years..... none of them hold a candle to the SFT.

[Linked Image]

Works pretty good as a rear rest too....

[Linked Image]

I like that setup. But isn't that more tripod'ish than shooting sticks?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep.... shooting sticks suck for anything over about 100 yards... especially on coyotes.... that was kinda the point. It’s pretty tough to be proficient with sticks.... but I can put a rifle in the SFT, and a monkey could hit stuff at 300 with it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep.... shooting sticks suck for anything over about 100 yards... especially on coyotes.... that was kinda the point. It’s pretty tough to be proficient with sticks.... but I can put a rifle in the SFT, and a monkey could hit stuff at 300 with it.

I like it, going to get one. Thanks for posting.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I like it, going to get one. Thanks for posting.

You can’t “get” a Super F’n Tactical..... you can only hope to build one.

I believe the correct nomenclature for a link to this guy’s thread is..... “Rink”.... it’s easily one of ‘sticks better “hints”...

SFT..... "To Infinity and Beyond"

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have been using a Primos Pole cat this year. It breaks down into 3 sections about 16" long so it easily fits in my backpack. I have made 200 yard head shots with it. Typically, sitting in a beach chair where I have a back rest and I can hold pretty steady. It sets up fast and is very light.

When I don't have to back pack, I will take some I made from Saguaro cactus ribs.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I have a set of verne howey sticks on the way...…..I am going to try one of those therma seats also......the double wedge supreme.

thanks for the help and suggestions...….bob

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
To hell with sticks, tripod is where its at. Even better with a clamp, and bestest with an Arca clamp and corresponding rail on the rifle.

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by liliysdad
To hell with sticks, tripod is where its at. Even better with a clamp, and bestest with an Arca clamp and corresponding rail on the rifle.

I am calling coyotes, most of the time shots will be under 150yds......and a lot closer than that...….sticks will be fine....bob

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have tried several and get tired of packing them around. Anymore, when calling I go commando and shoot free hand. Affords a lot of quick versatility. When called, my shots aren't that far.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I am calling coyotes, most of the time shots will be under 150yds......and a lot closer than that...….sticks will be fine....bob

I'm calling coyotes too.....and a most of mine are under 200...with the occasional much farther. Even at 100yd...the tripod is the buisness. Every single thing about it is better.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
At anything over 50 yards, shooting sticks really help- for one thing, you can have your gun at ready without exerting yourself. I set up so that I am covering where I Expect the critter to come in. Sometimes I have to switch to my left shoulder to swing more to the right. Check your coverage before you start tooting.

If I expected to shoot 400 yards on a stand, a prone bipod or tripod would be better but I have no problems taking head shots out to 200.

NRA Benefactor Member

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sticks will in effect, double your range of effectiveness. I have killed a lot of coyotes from 200 to 300 yds. I have not tried the tripod version, but like the simplicity of sticks. I also practice a lot off of my sticks, shooting a small 6" steel from 150 to 200 yds. Like anything,practice makes you better. Shoot a 6" steel, and a coyote doesn't look so small.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by atse
Sticks will in effect, double your range of effectiveness. I have killed a lot of coyotes from 200 to 300 yds. I have not tried the tripod version, but like the simplicity of sticks. I also practice a lot off of my sticks, shooting a small 6" steel from 150 to 200 yds. Like anything,practice makes you better. Shoot a 6" steel, and a coyote doesn't look so small.

Attached Images
Capture.jpg (47.05 KB, 114 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was starting to do some range work at a make-shift range prior to a Caribou hunt off of my $30 collapsible shooting sticks. I was shooting from the sitting position.

A guy walks over and starts telling me how much better a tripod is. He irritated me. The 7 Mag had a pretty warm barrel so I grabbed my Savage 116 in .223 and fired a 3 shot group off the sticks. Under 2 inches -- @ 333 yards. Sticks from sitting is VERY efficient and accurate; done correctly. They are also light to carry and quick to set up. I've killed dozens of Coyotes off sticks at close to very far range. Killed Antelope and Caribou, also.

Before they were for sale, I made my own out of doweling and pieces of leather. I made a tall set for shooting Gophers out of a lawn chair. I still have them but the collapsible models are easier to carry in a pouch by my side where they are handy.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've killed a ton of stuff off sticks, and they do work well. The fact that they work well has little to nothing to do with the fact a tripod and clamp is a considerably more stable platform, and makes calling easier.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I have to disagree. I only use them for predator calling. Most shots under 100 yrds, I rarely use them, especially on running/moving coyotes. Many times they don't stop. After 100 is where I use them the most. But I rarely shoot coyotes further than 300 yards. Tripods are just too bulky and heavier than I want to carry, unless I planned on doing a lot of long range shooting.

I like the Primos pole cat shooting stix.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...cat-shooting-sticks/1615721.uts?slotId=1

I especially like them when I am doing a standing setup with shotgun or rifle. They hold up the rifle/shotgun while my hands work the e-caller of hand calls.

one old semi toothless coyote

[Linked Image]

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My Pole cat doesn't have that type of head. It is connected lower with a rubber fitting and you cross them to capture the forend. I like this style better than the sit on top as I can let go of the rifle without it falling off when I am reaching for something.

NRA Benefactor Member

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have the Cabelas version of the Bog. Nice swiveling "V" yoke, fully extended they are a pretty good walking stick, lots of height adjustment for different positions and terrain, work outstanding to brace binoculars or a small spotter when glassing.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a pair of wooden sticks that are connected with rubber. You can slip the forend through the rubber tube or rest it on top . I got them at Sportsman’s. They are Johnny Stewart branded, I think. They were cheap.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Old wood crutches make a couple good pairs of sticks.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sammo62

Just what I want to be carrying around with me a pair of wooden crutches.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Jesus Chr*st, they make’em in aluminum nowadays...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kingston

Jesus Chr*st, they make’em in aluminum nowadays...

Yeah but evidently only the wood ones work for shooting sticks.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I made my shooting sticks from two adjustable shower curtain rods made of aluminium. Their length can be adjusted from 3 feet 10 inches to 6 feet 9 inches. They cost me less than 10$ and they work just fine. I am currently thinking about the 2.0 version smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like that, what you got in mind for the 2.0 version? Any changes in mind?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For the 2.0 version I have in mind to add some spikes on legs so they can have more stable contact with the surface and adding something like this on top. Made of fishing rod rest wrapped in a rubber band and some U profile, so I can move the rifle more freely to the side.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Maybe it's the country that I call, but for me it seems like my calling stands can be very fluid at times. A coyote shows up 90 degrees to my left and another could show up 90 degrees to my right and, at least for me, shooting sticks seem to be the ticket to swing from one extreme to the other, quickly. Also consider that I often am sitting on a hill side, I don't think a tripod would be as easy to set up, or swing, from one side to the other. Seems like the third leg would find itself either running into the hillside, or being way low from the other two. Speaking of the third leg, two legs on my shooting sticks like to grab vegetation, wouldn't a third leg just be another thing to catch on [bleep].
I'll stick with my old modified steady stix magnums. If I miss with my sticks, it ain't because I didn't have a tripod.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by angler
I made my shooting sticks from two adjustable shower curtain rods made of aluminium. Their length can be adjusted from 3 feet 10 inches to 6 feet 9 inches. They cost me less than 10$ and they work just fine. I am currently thinking about the 2.0 version smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great idea. Post pics of the 2.0 version when you have them complete.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My "shooting sticks" are hanging from my shoulders. Long ago I ran thru the various shooting sticks, and come to the conclusion that elbows on my knees offer me the best solution, I always use a stool, no ground sitting. On a stool, I have good elevation to see, cradle my rifle in my lap, when shooting prop elbows on knees and I can easily raise up on my toes a bit for elevation if needed on a more distant shot. Sticks have been the cause of many a missed crossing coyote for me, invariably just when Im ready to yank the trigger on a passing shot, one leg will lift off ground and cause a slipped shot. Just one less item I need to drag out in the desert now, I have it pared down to my rifle, stool and a call, Im a happy camper.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I use a Primos Trigger Stick bipod. Have used this for years.

same here. It's nice to have them self level on rough ground with the pull of the trigger.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by angler
For the 2.0 version I have in mind to add some spikes on legs so they can have more stable contact with the surface and adding something like this on top. Made of fishing rod rest wrapped in a rubber band and some U profile, so I can move the rifle more freely to the side.
[Linked Image]
Angler, where you get the piece that holds the V yoke piece...looks like a hard plastic U shaped that supports the yoke for the gun rest. I have the V yoke but need the piece to mount Yoke to....also the 2 pieces in the legs...what is that material? See how you put it all together, just need these pieces. Thanks.

O.B.Wallace
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use two bamboo sticks held together with a rubber band. Slide the band up and down for whichever height you want. I use them while walking and shooting prairie dogs.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.