Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am reloading for a 300 win mag. 2 different rifles. My son and I both got new ones. I just got my reload components in so started.
I had a box of brass from a box he shot and a box of brass from a box I shot. I know to use them interchangeable I will have to full
Length resize them all. That way either he or I can shoot it out of either rifle. I did just that. However before I primed them I wanted
Run them through my rifle. The ones that I resized from box I shot go right in and out. The ones I resized from box shot from his rifle, about 1/4
Of them go in fine but when i go to pull out. I lift but fine but it is stuck forward. Once i give it a sharp jolt it turns loose and ejects fine.
I dont want to have keep up with keeping them separate th as ts eh i just full length resize them all. Does anyone know what is happening
Or causing this and how to fix if? I went back checked my die. I actually turned it in a tad deeper but not enough to set it back and crush it. I turned it in about another 1/8 turn and it still the same

Bearbuck
HR IC

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Don't try "interchangeable". Reload for each one separately, keeping the rounds/brass used in each apart from one another. You have just experienced one reason why not to do it.
If you elect to keep trying it your way, set the die up so his rounds fit smoothly in the other .300 win mag first (and take whatever the results are in yours.)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Since a belted case head spaces on the belt the chamber in front of the belt can be cut a bit sloppy. I only have one belted magnum and I neck size my brass for longer life.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bearbuck
I am reloading for a 300 win mag. 2 different rifles. My son and I both got new ones. I just got my reload components in so started.
I had a box of brass from a box he shot and a box of brass from a box I shot. I know to use them interchangeable I will have to full
Length resize them all. That way either he or I can shoot it out of either rifle. I did just that. However before I primed them I wanted
Run them through my rifle. The ones that I resized from box I shot go right in and out. The ones I resized from box shot from his rifle, about 1/4
Of them go in fine but when i go to pull out. I lift but fine but it is stuck forward. Once i give it a sharp jolt it turns loose and ejects fine.
I dont want to have keep up with keeping them separate th as ts eh i just full length resize them all. Does anyone know what is happening
Or causing this and how to fix if? I went back checked my die. I actually turned it in a tad deeper but not enough to set it back and crush it. I turned it in about another 1/8 turn and it still the same

Buy Factory Fodder...so you don't hurt yourself or others.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
First thing I would do, get a chamber brush and clean the chambers. If that does not fix it, buy a Body die or Small Base die. In my experience one of these should solve the problem. Get a case guage or borrow one, if all the brass checks out in the case gauge you have other problems.

Last edited by arky65; 01/24/19.

There is a war on America and America is losing
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Adjust your sizing die, it should be a couple turns past touching with the ram up.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
"Couple turns"?????

1/4 turn usually is max

Were these factory loads to start with?

With belted cases, sometimes there is a section above the belt that the sizing die can't size. There is a collett die made for that purpose but it is expensive.

What are the 2 guns?

Last edited by KenMi; 01/25/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bearbuck

Keep turning your sizing die 1/8 of a turn at a time until they cycle smoothly. If your thinking the belt on the case serves any purpose after the initial firing forget it if you set your sizing die up so the bolt just closes on a fired case and lock it down you'll be headspacing off the case shoulder. The ones that extract sticky will extract just fine if you fire them. The best solution of course is to keep the brass between rifles separated and have a size die set for each rifle.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
After you have sized the brass from your sons rifle, use a match, or candle to smoke the case both at the neck/shoulder junction, and back by the pressure ring just above the belt.
Insert case in chamber, close bolt. Remove case carefully. If the cast is hanging up anywhere in the chamber, you will find a shinny spot on it.
Work the brass accordingly...or, get another die set for his rifle. This would be my choice.
Good luck

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
This is very common. Yes you can get a small base die but this will shorten brass life. Keep the 2 batches separate. The guns will problably prefer different loads anyway. Ed k

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
After you have sized the brass from your sons rifle, use a match, or candle to smoke the case both at the neck/shoulder junction, and back by the pressure ring just above the belt.
Insert case in chamber, close bolt. Remove case carefully. If the cast is hanging up anywhere in the chamber, you will find a shinny spot on it.
Work the brass accordingly...or, get another die set for his rifle. This would be my choice.
Good luck

Or a Sharpie/Magic Marker.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I load for several guns in same caliber. Headspace is even exactly same/same on a couple. I still load for each separately, and keep brass separate. They prefer different loads. That's the magic of handloading.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like playing with the matches and candle!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (1936M71, 160user, 44mc, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 12,148 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,029
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.