Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
They are all very good, if this kind of stuff fails it's not on the shelf for long and the ammo you're talking about has been around for a looooong time.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dogger
any general concensus on superiority, inferiority, and/or performance differences between Federal blue box Power Shok soft points, WInchester silver box Super X Power Points and Remington yellow box/green box Corelokts across the usual suspects (deer hunting ammo)? Federal seems to be several $$ cheaper across the board across calibers 243 to 30

If I were choosing ammo for a belted magnum then I might be more inclined to go with a "name" bullet like a Partition, etc., but in standard cartridges, it's all good. Pick one that your rifle shoot well and go forth. Also, this type of ammo tends to be cheap this time of year because big-box stores are closing it out. If you really want to save money, then get it by the case on Ammoseek.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
What do you all do with all your fired brass?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco

I save my brass, even though in the past I haven't reloaded. Somebody always needs some brass. I've given some away to friends. As for the factory ammo, I always start with the cheap stuff (usually Federal blue box is the cheapest) and work my way up only as needed to get what I need out of the rifle and load. For me it's deer hunting, mostly in the woods, most of it heavy brush, so for those applications I'm looking for accuracy out to 100 yards. I do have a 30-06 Mauser that I use when hunting a field edge or a gas line, clear cut or power line. This gun runs Federal Premium 165 gr. Sierra Game King BTSP loads. I've tried many different factory offerings in this gun, and this load always groups the tightest.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hanco, you all ways save your brass. Even if you don't handload you prolly know someone who does. Case we get another Sandyhook panic deal one of your buddies can be talked into loading it for you or bribed to. brass is basic no brass, no reloads. Sandyhook taught or should have taught everyone in this country who shoots, that the day is past that one can go to whatevermart the night before the season starts and get the ammo you need. Anyone who claims they live or love to hunt should have a supply of ammo for hunting use that would last an easy 5 years per gun / per cartridge. Hoarding my ass, I was a boy scout long enough to learn "BE PREPARED".
Magnum_Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find Hornady’s cheap ammo to be a cut above. Federal Blue Box is consistently accurate in all the guns and chamberings I shoot.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
i reload my brass...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco

I give mine to the Gun Club. They collect it, sell as scrap & use the money to help pay for backboards at the range.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
" Anyone who claims they live or love to hunt should have a supply of ammo for hunting use that would last an easy 5 years per gun / per cartridge. Hoarding my ass, I was a boy scout long enough to learn "BE PREPARED".
Magnum_Bob[/quote]"

Yeah, a couple store-bought boxes for each would last me 5 years for each gun. I might run out for one, but then I'd just switch to another rifle. Heck- I'd be good for a good 30 years, easy. More if I was conservative with my shooting.....

After that, I'd need to start reloading my components.... or if I acquired a new gun that needed working up. smile

Last edited by las; 02/05/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
in most of my guns they all shoot the same and kill deer dead. i don't discriminate, i buy whatever is on sale for my 30/30's, 35's, 270, '06, 243, 308, etc.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When I dont load my own its almost always same version of Federal ammo..... Blue Box from wal mart is bad medicine.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've never had a bad surprise from Federal.Their ammo just works as it should. Every time. Can't say that of the cheaper versions of Remington or Winchester.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should try all three. You may find they all shoot similar groups, or you may find one that's head and shoulders above the others. I'm a firm believer in starting with the cheap stuff and only going up the food chain as needed. Is this for a deer rifle hunting in the woods? If so, 100 yards and in with the best minute of deer accuracy should be your goal. If you hunt power lines, pipelines, or open fields where you can stretch out longer shots, work out to 200 yards.

Most frequently, I start with Federal Blue Box, then Remington Green Box, then Winchester. No particular reason for that order, just what I've ended up doing. Good luck finding the load your rifle likes best.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I stopped reloading a few years ago. For deer and hogs I now use 150gr fed blue box in one rifle and either core lots or American whitetail in my other rifle just to mix things up. Neither rifle likes power points. For the last 2 elk seasons I've used the same box of fed premium 180gr partitions. 1 or 2 shots to verify zero and 1 for the elk. While there are many suitable factory loads for elk, partitions have never let me down.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Don't be afraid to live a little and wander into the Hornady ELDM/Eldx line.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Hanco, you all ways save your brass. Even if you don't handload you prolly know someone who does. Case we get another Sandyhook panic deal one of your buddies can be talked into loading it for you or bribed to. brass is basic no brass, no reloads. Sandyhook taught or should have taught everyone in this country who shoots, that the day is past that one can go to whatevermart the night before the season starts and get the ammo you need. Anyone who claims they live or love to hunt should have a supply of ammo for hunting use that would last an easy 5 years per gun / per cartridge. Hoarding my ass, I was a boy scout long enough to learn "BE PREPARED".
Magnum_Bob

Mega dittos.

I handload for a couple of guys with Weatherby rifles initially to help them get started. Seems like they think I should do it all the time and are surprised when I tell them to bring me the components and I'll help them out. One guy said can't you just get the bullets and powder and tell me what I owe you? I told him that I could but if he wanted his ammo loaded anytime soon that he could go shop for the stuff and if that was too fugging much trouble to go buy factory ammo. Sorry I ever offered...

I have about 2 lifetime's supply of ammo and components for all my guns. Anything less and you are a little short on ammo. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
corelokt killed a bunch of critters. I use Hornady white tail ammo. very happy with it

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.