Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I've inherited my wife's grandfather's old quail gun. It's a 1940s vintage Fox Savage Model B in 12 ga. It was in pretty rough shape and missing the buttplate. Can anyone point in the right direction to find a replacement for that? I do know that this shotgun is essentially a Stevens 311 and I'm guessing they might use the same buttplate? I would sure appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks, Gary Brantley. Cameron, TX

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

N.C. Ordnance, (252) 237-2440 sells nice repros. They’re more or less a generic plate and will probably require some fitting.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the replies gents! Numrich was my first choice and I did buy one but the screw holes on it were spaced 3" apart. I wanted one with 2 3/4" centers. I returned it thinking I could find another that fit better. I bought a reproduction on Ebay for a different model Stevens shotgun but one with very close dimensions and the correct screw spacing. Well, it is about 1/8" smaller all around than my stock. frown

The NC Ordnance buttplate looks exactly like the one Numrich sells, even the same pic it seems. I suspect that they are the source for Numrich/gunpartcorp's reproductions.

I did find a listing at Bob's Gun Sjop in Royal, Ark. It's described as "Savage Late Double 311 Etc..............$25". I emailed Bob and replied that he didn't know the screw spacing and didn't have time to check! So there. grin I do wonder if his might be correct for my 1940s vintage Model B. Is it worth trying Bob?

Bob's buttplate page

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary, there is one on Ebay for 18.50 2.75 inch spacing

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
That sounds promising! Do you have a link to that one? Thanks a lot! gb

Man, I've been searching that Ebay like a fiend and can't find that one. laugh

Last edited by Texgunner; 01/24/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SAVAGE-STEVENS-SHOTGUN-RIFLE-BUTT-PLATE/233063312231?hash=i

Seller : curtsgunshop
eBay item number:233063312231
VINTAGE SAVAGE STEVENS SHOTGUN BUTT PLATE. Lightly used, shows modest edge wear with small toe chip, not cracked. Measures 4-3/4" long and 1-1/2" wide with screw holes on 2-3/4" centers.

hope this helps!
tom

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks Tom! I believe that dang thing will fit, too bad about that chip though. I made him an offer and will see what he thinks. Again, much obliged sir!
Gary

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Well, Curt took my offer! Cool. Thanks for the great tip Tom! I believe that small chip on the toe will just fit right in with the rest of the old gun's looks. wink I'll try to post some pics when she's all together.
Gary

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary, with some judicious use of black epoxy you can fix that chip. like the old adage goes "aim small, hit small" start small and build out adjusting color as you go.

OR as you say leave it alone to blend with the other wear on the gun grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need a Fox Model B gun box to go with that. I know this guy.... grin
*whoops, went back and reread, box is newer

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/25/19.

LOL
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Gary, with some judicious use of black epoxy you can fix that chip. like the old adage goes "aim small, hit small" start small and build out adjusting color as you go.

OR as you say leave it alone to blend with the other wear on the gun grin

That's a good idea Tom. I might try some JB Weld or something similar. I'm kinda excited about getting a vintage piece for the old gun. Somehow, the new reproduction just didn't have the "character" of an original. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JB weld might even be close to the right color.
good luck and hope it fits.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

JB weld might even be close to the right color.
good luck and hope it fits.

smile Thank Tom!

I did get a few pics of the shotgun this afternoon:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It sure looks like someone painted the barrels black at some point in time. I suspect they were that way when my wife's grandpa bought it from a local hardware store. She said she was sure he wouldn't have cared or maybe even noticed. When he passed, the gun went to his eldest daughter and maybe her husband removed most of that paint. No way of ever knowing now as all those folks are gone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i can't count how many shotguns of that vintage i have seen with painted barrels! guess guys wanted extra protection!
nice shotgun deserving of love and care.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
i can't count how many shotguns of that vintage i have seen with painted barrels! guess guys wanted extra protection!
nice shotgun deserving of love and care.

Is that right? I'll be; yeah, probably a trend at the time to get more rust protection. I'd never heard of it before but then, I never was around many guns like this when younger. My dad hunted birds and squirrels with his German drilling in 16 ga. back in the 1950s and '60s. There was nothing painted on that old gun! smile

Thanks for the kind words, I hope this old gun will stay in our family for a long time

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I saw one like that in 20 gauge the other day for $600. I've got a 1961 12 gauge like brand new, even has the hang tag. Was tempted by the 20 gauge, but I need to be thinning things out around here.

LOL
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I saw one like that in 20 gauge the other day for $600. I've got a 1961 12 gauge like brand new, even has the hang tag. Was tempted by the 20 gauge, but I need to be thinning things out around here.

I know what you mean Fireball. Instead of acquiring more guns, I probably should be thinning the herd at my age (66). Still, I do have a son and daughter (with a son-on-law too) who will look after them someday. I also inherited this old Mossberg 185 K-B in 20 ga.:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I stripped her old finish with denatured alcohol and rubbed in some Howard's Feed and Wax. My father-in-law bought this gun in the mid to late 1950s to hunt with his father-in-law, the man who owned the Fox 12 ga. above

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very nice old mossy! my neighbor has one of those hanging in his basement. my neighbor is a farmer. that shotgun has so much dust and other fumunda on it you can't make out what it is! all it needs is a rats nest on top of it!
yet every once in a while he pots a Goose with it. he brought me a JC higgins 22mag bolt action yesterday because it miss fired 3 times while trying to shoot a coyote.
when i was able to pry the bolt out of the action there was axle grease older then me caked in it.
a can of starting fluid and a quart of lacquer thinner then coated with Ballistol it was back in action.

Last edited by deerstalker; 01/26/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
very nice old mossy! my neighbor has one of those hanging in his basement. my neighbor is a farmer. that shotgun has so much dust and other fumunda on it you can't make out what it is! all it needs is a rats nest on top of it!
yet every once in a while he pots a Goose with it. he brought me a JC higgins 22mag bolt action yesterday because it miss fired 3 times while trying to shoot a coyote.
when i was able to pry the bolt out of the action there was axle grease older then me caked in it.
a can of starting fluid and a quart of lacquer thinner then coated with Ballistol it was back in action.

Thanks Tom! I first saw that Mossy back in the late 1970s. I thought it was sort of unusual and had never seen one like it before. Well, as time went one, I encountered more and more of them. So, I guess they were quite common once. That's a great story about your neighbor! Yeah, some folks are just really casual about gun care aren't they? As long as it goes boom, they don't worry about it, then when it won't...but it is a testament to those old guns that with a little TLC, they can be brought back.

Part of my recent inheritance was this old pistol too. It belonged to my father-in-law's grandmother around Springfield, MO. She got it due to a "window peeper" in her neighborhood, in the '20s or '30s I believe. It's a U.S.Revolver .38 S&W five-shooter, top-break, made by Iver Johnson, probably pre-WWI. Not in shooting shape really, I plan to keep it just as it looks now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 3,019 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.