Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
glosto Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
G
Opinions on the Warne 34mm Rings. I have a set to put a Burris XTR11 in but am 2nd guessing my purchase. Any one used these?

Thanks Gary

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use Warne and will use nothing else. They are the only brand I will trust to put a nice scope in. They are rugged, reliable and -- used properly -- never leave any marks on a tube.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I’ll 2nd Bobby’s remarks.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
glosto Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the input. Will move forward with installation. They will mount to an IOR steel rail setting on a 40x 7mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Which Warne's? I'd have no problem trying the Mountain Tech's but would not put a nice scope in a set of Maxima's due to the mount design.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Which Warne's? I'd have no problem trying the Mountain Tech's but would not put a nice scope in a set of Maxima's due to the mount design.

What is wrong with the design? I use them exclusively, and they work perfectly each and every time -- no problems whatsoever. Below is how a scope looks after being in Warne rings -- NO MARKS whatsoever.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Warne Maxima's pinch and flex the scope tube in order to hold firm to the scope base or receiver they are being mounted to. This type of mount has been known to cause issues with some scopes due to the internal moving components which can be affected by a deformed scope tube. I prefer a traditional style ring where there is a separate cross bolt to hold the ring to the base and cap screws that are tightened evenly on both sides.

Last edited by wareagle700; 02/02/19.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use 34mm Warne Mountain Techs as they are one of the few that offer .885" ring heights for 34MM tubes.

[Linked Image]

Keeps things a big closer to the bore so I don't need my cheek riser up as high.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who does that handle and knob? I like that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
APA goes 0.856.

Sexy build there!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Warne Mountain Techs I’ve had first hand experience with, all 30mm, were exellent. In 30mm, their Achilles Heal is the Low is way too high.

There’s more to preventing ring marks than just quality rings. Ultimately, if your rail isn’t straight and flat, it won’t matter what rings you use. This is commonly an issue on Remingtons. I’ve yet to see a rail mount to one without distorting (bending or twisting or both). Rails mounted to Remington 700s almost universally require bedding or shimming. Remington’s manufacturing consistency may have increased in the last few years, I haven’t touched one made in the last three years.

I always check rails for straightness and flatness before and after mounting. I also always dust ring to scope main tube mating surfaces with powdered rosin using an artist brush.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
APA goes 0.856.

Sexy build there!

That is very true but at more than twice the $$$ and since I have very good luck with Warne Mountain Techs on other rifles I went the Warne route.

Thanks. Don't have too many rounds down it yet, but its showing great promise with 208 ELDs at 2940 fps out of the 22" barrel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by kingston
APA goes 0.856.

Sexy build there!

That is very true but at more than twice the $$$ and since I have very good luck with Warne Mountain Techs on other rifles I went the Warne route.

Thanks. Don't have too many rounds down it yet, but its showing great promise with 208 ELDs at 2940 fps out of the 22" barrel.

HAMMER!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who does that handle and knob? I like that.

Perhaps I should write up the parts/pieces list of the rifle under the Custom gun section but here's your answer:

http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=70

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Warne Maxima's pinch and flex the scope tube in order to hold firm to the scope base or receiver they are being mounted to. This type of mount has been known to cause issues with some scopes due to the internal moving components which can be affected by a deformed scope tube. I prefer a traditional style ring where there is a separate cross bolt to hold the ring to the base and cap screws that are tightened evenly on both sides.

There was an eye opening thread about this on Sniper's Hide with comprehensive testing done about the problems with vertical split rings doing exactly what you describe.
After reading it I swapped out my Warne Maximas for horizontal style rings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I use 34mm Warne Mountain Techs as they are one of the few that offer .885" ring heights for 34MM tubes.

[Linked Image]

Keeps things a big closer to the bore so I don't need my cheek riser up as high.

Nice rig!

Is it just the angle? Wondering why the front ring looks higher than the back (like they are 20 MOA and swapped around)?

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's just the angle of the pic....I had to double check after I took it as well...but it wouldn't make sense. I have just over 19 Mils to work with on a 26 Mil total elevation scope so I am thinking she's pointed the right direction. That and luckily for me the ingetrated recoil lug in the rail that mates with the recess in the top of the reciever only allows for one to install it one direction which makes it pretty idiot (me) proof. smile

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Cool, thanks. I thought that would be your response. Can we talk about your level now?😳

I keep thinking how much easier/cheaper it would be to customize a Tikka than a Rem 700...or even buy some of the newer high quality rifles such as a Barrett....only money, right?

Happy hunting. I miss AK every day!!!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Cool, thanks. I thought that would be your response. Can we talk about your level now?😳

I keep thinking how much easier/cheaper it would be to customize a Tikka than a Rem 700...or even buy some of the newer high quality rifles such as a Barrett....only money, right?

Happy hunting. I miss AK every day!!!

HAHA....you don't like my $12 bubble level? smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 50 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,160
Posts18,523,492
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.