Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Salute, Gentlemen.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
RIP Cpl Gonzales
Welcome Home to all vets.
Thank you both for your service as well as others here on 24HCF for your service.
Fortunately there was someone on station to provide the firepower support that a platoon could never muster or sustain.
I would imagine others here came in with folks to lend a helping hand to the lonely guys on the ground at a time when it was MOST appreciated.
I am betting that the assistance of supporting superior firepower no matter the source was/is appreciated!

Last edited by LouisB; 01/25/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent post!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Salute to a couple of our nation's finest.
Thanks for doing what you did.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes a Salute to the both of you fellows! and to the brothers that didnt make it Home!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
All rise--hand salute--

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A thanks to all who served.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
The Salutes have been made and the drinks hoisted. Thanks guys for giving Woody and me some of your time. All of us who were there are old men now. At that point in time, we honestly didn't think we were going to make one more day. What a ride we have had!!!

Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
1/26/70.. Another year another remembrance..Jim and I have vowed to raise a toast to honor those left behind that night until our last breath ..We invite you to join us tomorrow at 17:30 CST.

I can’t believe that I have never read this before. I very rarely ever have a drink but tomorrow sure seems very appropriate. Thank you men for your service, for your heroic acts and for living with the all of the obvious nightmares and horrors of war. May our Father God and Savior Jesus The Christ richly bless you both.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Toast.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All day long this has been on my mind. Odd how the sounds and smells never seem to go away.We are all old men now. Thanks Woody and Spooky. Toast!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Salute! Both with an appropriate beverage, and my heartfelt thanks for what you two and all the other vets have done for us!

I've had the honor and pleasure of sharing a campfire with Woody, but Jim keeps avoiding me, so I'll just have to wait to thank the old bastid later.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bottoms up.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll be raising my glass as usual at 17:30 our time..We survived !

[Linked Image]

Jim & Woody....

another year and another toast and salute of respect to two great gentlemen

who I have been blessed to be a guest in both of their homes.....

I've served and have been around a lot of guys who saw action in Vietnam and other war zones,
but none have ever topped the humility I have felt in the presence of Woody and Jim...
they may have equaled it, but never exceeded it.

On top of it, they are both damn fine gentlemen in their own rights.

I wish you both many more happy, healthy years ahead to do your annual remembrance toasts..
to those that made it home and to those left behind.

its an honor to know both of you fine gentlemen.

cheers and best regards!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good story, the kind a tribe needs. But for those who have not, yet, read all the conversation what was the...

"A rather unorthodox method of warning off the guns was employed until radio contact was established."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
crazyOK,here goes. 474 wasn't a high hill,only 474 meters,but huge in mass. we were on the side facing the South China Sea (25klicks out) and there were 2 long finger ridges with a wide (350m) draw between them. The left hand ridge was lower in height but absolutely lousy with roky caves. We had moved from a combat assault on the summit with my Platoon on the south edge of said finger ridge. We go itno it HARD about halfway down. "Speedy" Gonzales the ag for the M60 got shot in the chest in a bowl in the middle of a bunch of caves. 4 of us, Greg Dodge,Tiny Johnson the Medic, Billy Sims an M79 grenadier and myself went in to get Speedy while Psg Escobar fought it out at 10'range with the gooks to cover us. We got him otu and the REAL fighting began. The NVA GREATLY outnumbered us and were maneuvering on our flank. NOBODY who has experience ever would allow the NVA to maneuver on them. We went low on ammo and called for help. The Spooky showed and began a fire run. The burst was actually within 10' of our perimeter.Tommy"Sunshine" Scoville yelled out we're [bleep]!!! I yelled at Sims to jump on the rock and shuck and jive. He said I wuz outta my friggin mind. I said Billy, the NVA ain't drafted or enlisted any [bleep] lately so jump up and dance,even a dumbass Zoomie would recognize you!!! Sims yelled back that I wuz right, jumped up and danced and the Pilot pulled off until we could get actaul radio contact with him. It would never make it into any tactical manual but we were who we were. We came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

Good job my friend.. what the rest of you guys that weren't in the chit need to understand is the "N" word was not at all derogatory in most cases!! wink and for me some of my black buds were also called that and they in turn affectionately had names for us white dudes grin ..sound crazy not at all for the times or the bond of brothers black or white!! 41 years seems like a life time but to Jim and me it was yesterday..I'm so very fortunate to have met him here on the "Fire" and above all call him my friend!! smile ... The "Dumbazz Zoomie"

Awesome !!

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wonderful story. It is amazing that you were able to re-connect! Congratulations!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a shining moment to have in memory. Powerful enough so that even one who did not live it may draw from it's example.
I wish there was some TV program, some blend of "The Big Picture" and "Combat" that would show these things. I know there have been movies made but they are big, expensive and sometimes it seems that the core of the story gets hidden by ejecting brass.
Thanks for reposting this for the dullards like me.

Last edited by 5thShock; 01/26/19. Reason: added essential sentence
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You boys beat the odds that night and did it well. Helluva story told well.

Old times there are not forgotten.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You boys beat the odds that night and did it well. Helluva story told well.

Old times there are not forgotten.

Guess we did manage to beat the odds that night even though the 22nd NVA had other ideas..

Many thanks again gents for your kind words. God willing Jim and I will be granted another mission of remembrance next year..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Without a doubt this is the best post ever. Each year I’m amazed how fate brought you two together and pray that you’ll share many more toasts as the years go by.

God bless you both!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 29 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.