Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I haven’t. Don’t have the patience.

Saw some pics on google from folks that did it. Usually with some apparatus. Wicked edge or something.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Anyone strop to a mirror polish edge?
No there is no reason to and as VinceM said !

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No need for the exclamation point. Just asking.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Actually that was a mistake. I don't know why that is there or the space either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a maker on this thread I've bought from, and 3 other posters who've pm'd me for advice over the 15 years I've contributed to this forum, who haven't stepped forward for [bleep] here... So...I'm done... Sad

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Journeyman
There is a maker on this thread I've bought from, and 3 other posters who've pm'd me for advice over the 15 years I've contributed to this forum, who haven't stepped forward for [bleep] here... So...I'm done... Sad

Why do you feel anyone needs to step up for you? You have done just fine on your own. You know what you are talking about. I don't see where you need back up.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Check your calendar monthly.
When there is a full moon strange stirrings inside can cause us to step out of (or maybe into) character and see which is sharper.
Our knives or our tongues.
I wouldn't share this if it was not for the internet.

You won't need to do a DOE to assimilate accurate data.
A Ratio Delay study will do fine in this case.

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 01/26/19.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I always smile at these threads. Tends to be a lot of folks that get too distracted with sharpening to remember the purpose of a knife is to cut [bleep]. Sharpen the damned thing up, rinse lather repeat. I've built knives with damned near every steel mentioned throughout this thread and a dozen more and the worst of 'em heat treated properly, with good edge geometry will still cut [bleep] mighty fine. Just need to be sharpened more often. Usually sharpen easy as hell. Different folks have different ideas about "best'. Find the happy medium that works for ya between ease of sharpening, edge retention and toughness and carry on. By way of context, I was raised to use a strop to remove the wire and smooth/realign the edge, not remove or cut an edge on the steel. Each to his own. I wouldn't necessarily judge steel quality by commercial makers either. Heat treat standards are way to sloppy across that spectrum..

Lay into me all ya want, but I doubt I'll change as I trust my experience over your opinion...

Last edited by mtnman1; 01/26/19.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mtnman1
By way of context, I was raised to use a strop to remove the wire and smooth/realign the edge, not remove or cut an edge on the steel. Each to his own. I wouldn't necessarily judge steel quality by commercial makers either. Heat treat standards are way to sloppy across that spectrum..

Lay into me all ya want, but I doubt I'll change as I trust my experience over your opinion...

This sums it up perfectly. Well said mtnman1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Journeyman

As I've stated before, if you have something to ask/debate, simply state it in a polite way. Pile the condescending commentary on and I'll hand it back to you.

David

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,053
Posts18,521,302
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.