Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13496322 01/26/19
R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger M77 Mk II Magnum Express Rifle .416 Rigby, I got the first one without the barrel band , I never killed anything with it and find it a bit HEV! but off the bench it seems to shoot very well! Anyone out there that shot this RIFLE and your thoughts.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You've started threads all over the forum, what is next? Maybe a 13 mouse express?

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A?? A forum is that you Forum and Talk without thought there would be no FORUM and with people like you There DEFF would be no Forums! Do you have a Ruger Rigby?>>> I think NOT >>you have just come to BITCH!! Enjoy your sad LIFE!

Last edited by Ranting; 01/26/19.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I prefer the CZ 550 .416 Rigby.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Its very intro to me about this forum people with just a few threads want to talk and are nice , but you get these with 100000000 threads are very A Holes!! Do Mice Make Noise & What Their Squeaks ? {13 mouse express?} Enjoy

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Although a Weatherby Mark V Safari in a .416 Wby would be a excellent addition to my gun safe.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I prefer the CZ 550 .416 Rigby. MMM I have a old cz 602 in a 375 and you say you would take one over a Ruger? >>>very Interesting!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A .416 Remington or Taylor would be something to think about also.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Even Though you cant buy a new Ruger Rigby any more.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The CZ hold 4 rounds has a 25" barrel and better iron sights.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
OK I and the Action?? My 602 action has much to be desired but it can be worked! The Rigby Ruger was and is smooth as glass.The Trigger on my old 602 is not that great but its the only rifle that I have ever shot a HOLE IN ONE OR SHOULD I SAY TWO!! Cz barrel are as custom barrels as I see it , barrels on a mass production firearm but hand down the Ruger that I have is hands down better on the Trigger!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The CZ action was smooth and the trigger was fine. The Ruger safety was a piece of schit IMO. The CZ was simple and easy to reach with a scope mounted

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ranting
A?? A forum is that you Forum and Talk without thought there would be no FORUM and with people like you There DEFF would be no Forums! Do you have a Ruger Rigby?>>> I think NOT >>you have just come to BITCH!! Enjoy your sad LIFE!

No Suh! I ain't got a Ruger. Mine is an old 1917 Enfield.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It is scratched up since these photos. The briars are rough around here going after our huge squirrel population. Don't have to skin them though.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those old rifles do make some really nice DGs. That one's a beaut.

You got some big old wabbits like Elk has in NM?

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Only cottontails now, but you just wouldn't believe the squirrels!

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I still have not read>:> anyone out there with a >>Ruger M77 Mk II Magnum Express Rifle .416 Rigby<<>> As scarce as hens teeth?

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
If you look at this rifle it as a custom should cost 10,000 BUCKS!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Only cottontails now, but you just wouldn't believe the squirrels!

Remeber,soft points for the initial shot and solids for the follow up.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It is scratched up since these photos. The briars are rough around here going after our huge squirrel population. Don't have to skin them though.

Lovely firearm.

Did you straighten out the bolt or leave it as is,Butchlambert1?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I love when those Enfields are cleaned up with a nice three position safety, well done BL!

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You've started threads all over the forum, what is next? Maybe a 13 mouse express?

He has been on ignore after two days reading his tripe.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dan Armstrong (accu-tig.com) fixed the bolt handle. No dogleg handle.
Ranting, I used to have a reger#1 in 7STW and a custom 10-22. They are gone. My wife just bought a 10-22 for varmint control around the house. Ain't got no use for a reger bolt gun.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I wish!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ranting, I used to have a reger#1 in 7STW and a custom 10-22. They are gone. My wife just bought a 10-22 for varmint control around the house. Ain't got no use for a reger bolt gun.

Gotcha.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have an early one without Barrel band,mine came straight from Ruger in exchange for a .458 Win Mag that wouldn’t chamber properly.

Mine is indeed MOA and has a Heartwood Stock.My Son took a 10.6 Brown Bear with it,Crumpled it.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I had a Ruger M77 Mk II Magnum Express Rifle .416 Rigby without the barrel band. Shot great. MOA or better with 400 Noslers and 410 Woodleighs.
Then I picked up a lighter one with the barrel band and it shoots MOA or better with both of those bullets so let the heavier barreled one go.
No problems with either rifle. They fed and functioned great. I run the 400-410 bullets at 2550 give or take a little depending on weather. I found both rifles shot the 400/410s MOA or better from around 2350 to over 2600.
The only change I made was to put a limbsaver recoil pad on both rifles with 1.5x5 Leupolds.
The current one will stay with me as long as I can shoot it. It's a keeper.
I also had one in 375 h&h with the barrel band. It is a shooter too. A close friend now has that one. He shot it a few times and liked it so much he talked me out of it. Got a nice griz on his first outing with it.

I would like to find a nice one in 30-06 though. :-)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Every time you post a picture of one of your guns, I instantly get jealous. Nice looking rig...

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

The M77 Mark II RSM (Ruger Safari Magnum) was a $1,200 gun new. It was also offered in express chambers such as 270 Win., 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. Most of the cost on the rifles was for the finer circassian walnut stock. 20 years ago or so they were popular in Africa for most going abroad for hunting buffalo due to being inexpensive. The 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag and 458 Lott may not be as valuable today as the express chambers, especially 270 Win or 30-06 as they were limited in production. The larger bore RSM today sells for $1,800-$2,600 depending on condition. The express chambers can go for $2,500-$3,200 if in great condition.

ButchLambert1:

Very nice rifle, how is the recoil on that stock? It looks very well designed for its purpose and the wood quality and recoil pad is exceptional. Really like the Enfield action it's a classic. Art Alphin of A-Square fame built his big game rifle business on the M1917-P14 Enfield action with his Hannibal Rifles. That action with some slight mods is considered one of the most advantageous for handling large cartridges such as 500-A-Square and 577 T-Rex.

P
P
Have a Ruger Guide Gun in 416 Ruger. Shoots great, feeds terribly. Sending it back to Ruger, AGAIN😡

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Butch - that 1917 of yours is drop-dead gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the photos.

I've got a 1917 that was first sporterized by Dad after he came home from WWII. He used it mostly for NRA High-Power matches. I learned to shoot with it. Got busy hunting with it 20+ years ago, then suddenly my son needed a "bear rifle" and I was out one cool old 30-06 1917. There went my plans of turning it into a 35 Whelen or 9.3 rifle.

It's not as beautiful as your rifle. It's not a big bore. But it's a great hunting rifle.

Thanks for posting those photos.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I didn't have a .404 Jeffery, I would probably have a .416. It seems like one of the all-around most useful of the .40+ inch cartridges.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still have not read>:> anyone out there with a >>Ruger M77 Mk II Magnum Express Rifle .416 Rigby<<>> As scarce as hens teeth?

They weren't very popular. As many have said, the CZ 550 was less expensive and many preferred the action, sights, and barrel.. I liked mine in .416 Rigby but it was a bit heavy for my needs. Ultimately, I embarked on building a 416 Ruger on a Mauser 98 action that is so much lighter and livelier. Pictured here under a .375 H&H Whitworth Express. Shoots like a dream.

[Linked Image]

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

Butch(er) has been doing this for over 10-years, on every firearms forum there is. He is a miserable old Texass blowhard that isn't happy unless he is trying to put someone else down - you would think that with all the toys and money he brags about having, he would be out doing something with them instead of being an internet forum a-hole.

Just ignore him and he will go away.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl

Butch(er) has been doing this for over 10-years, on every firearms forum there is. He is a miserable old Texass blowhard that isn't happy unless he is trying to put someone else down - you would think that with all the toys and money he brags about having, he would be out doing something with them instead of being an internet forum a-hole.

Hey young feller, I forgot that I stepped on your dick one time when you were blowing strong on another forum. Beside your Daisy, do you own a firearm?

Last edited by butchlambert1; 03/06/19.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

Hey young feller, I forgot that I stepped on your dick one time when you were blowing strong on another forum. Beside your Daisy, do you own a firearm?

When you grow up and go out and buy your self a brain and some class (neither of which you have enough money for), then you can talk to me.

Last edited by Quick_Karl; 03/06/19.

Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudhen
If I didn't have a .404 Jeffery, I would probably have a .416. It seems like one of the all-around most useful of the .40+ inch cartridges.

Some day I'd like to see your .404, Ben.

I can in return show you my H&H double 500/450 3-1/4" Nitro Express.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

When you grow up and go out and buy your self a brain and some class (neither of which you have enough money for), then you can talk to me.

I sho nuff love to agitate fellers that troll and only own a Daisy. Did you ever learn how to turn your Atlas lathe on? When did you look at my bank accounts?

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. – Mark Twain”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Don't know either Ranting or Butch personally. But from their posts I can deduce that Butch is a gentlemen who likes fine custom firearms. I have never known him to brag (except about his grandson). Ranting has chosen an apt handle. He rants nonsensical drivel. A screw may be loose? By interjecting into this thread and unwarrantly attacking Butch, acting all childish, siding with Ranting, causes me to question your maturity and sanity.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AB2506

Don't know either Ranting or Butch personally. But from their posts I can deduce that Butch is a gentlemen who likes fine custom firearms. I have never known him to brag (except about his grandson). Ranting has chosen an apt handle. He rants nonsensical drivel. A screw may be loose? By interjecting into this thread and unwarrantly attacking Butch, acting all childish, siding with Ranting, causes me to question your maturity and sanity.

Agreed, but I didn't even consider Butch to be bragging when he was talking about his grandson who was kicking for WVU a few years ago. That was pretty much justifiable pride to me. Ranting, please consider leaving us alone until you've grown up enough to contribute here without being so annoying.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. – Mark Twain”

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by McInnis

Agreed, but I didn't even consider Butch to be bragging when he was talking about his grandson who was kicking for WVU a few years ago. That was pretty much justifiable pride to me. Ranting, please consider leaving us alone until you've grown up enough to contribute here without being so annoying.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
"The best index to a person's character is (a) how he or she treats people who can't do him or her any good and (b) how he or she treats people who can't fight back. -Abigail Van Buren”

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger M77 Mk II Magnum Express Rifle .416 Rigby, I got the first one without the barrel band , I never killed anything with it and find it a bit HEV! but off the bench it seems to shoot very well! Anyone out there that shot this RIFLE and your thoughts.

I have one, but with the barrel band. It really over penetrates prairie dogs - the biggest and the meanest game I've shot with it. I'm not sure about expansion either, since so far I have not found bullets.

The rifle handles well. I had a Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem Mag that the felt recoil was higher - until I restocked it. But then I don't have a scope on my 416. I've tried a couple of loads 400 grain solids and a mono bullet, I think around 320 grain. Both very accurate or as accurate as I can shoot with metal sights.

Since I doubt that I'll make it to Africa, I will sell it at the Tulsa Gun show. If anyone is interested it has shot less than 40 rounds. It looks like new. Dies, brass 20 fired and 20 unfired, and bullets come with it along with the original box, rings etc..

$2,100 firm! (Plus shipping and insurance)

Last edited by Bugger; 03/08/19.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rossimp
. . . The M77 Mark II RSM (Ruger Safari Magnum) was a $1,200 gun new. It was also offered in express chambers such as 270 Win., 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. Most of the cost on the rifles was for the finer circassian walnut stock. 20 years ago or so they were popular in Africa for most going abroad for hunting buffalo due to being inexpensive. The 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag and 458 Lott may not be as valuable today as the express chambers, especially 270 Win or 30-06 as they were limited in production. The larger bore RSM today sells for $1,800-$2,600 depending on condition. The express chambers can go for $2,500-$3,200 if in great condition. . . .

Yep. I own one in .416 Rigby with the circassian walnut. Heck of a rifle. Haven't shot it against dangerous game, but I would feel well armed against a charging lion.

Last edited by OrangeOkie; 05/20/19.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
He'll probably need 3 or 4 extra pages to complete that form...

Good bud shot a 41" buff in Zim with his RSM .416 Rigby. The PH liked the gun, said it was too heavy. The PH packed a .416 Rem in a PF M-70. Now how uncool can one get... blush

Everyone who knows anything knows you don't pack a PF DG rifle, it just ain't Kosher... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/20/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
400 gr TSX.

One slug, one buff.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/20/19.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Been thinking about taking a .460 Wby case (or .416/.378 Wby) and cutting it to 2.5" and then necking it to .416" or even as small as .338" and up to .475".

Last edited by elkhunternm; 05/22/19.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Been thinking about taking a .460 Wby case (or .416/.378 Wby) and cutting it to 2.5" and then necking it to .416" or even as small as .338" and up to .475".

So a belted Nosler/Norma?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Forgot about those.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like the idea of the fat 2.5” cases. Have been a fan for awhile.

Just thought going with the Norma case would save some steps. Lapua is making brass for it now to, which isn’t a bad thing.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Could use any of the .378 Wby based cartridges. I like the idea of shortening the .460 Wby (or .416 Wby) down to 2.5" and form it to .416. It should be easy just use a pipe cutter and cut to length and then size the case.

Something like this.....
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-1-4-in-to-1-1-8-in-Copper-Tube-Cutter/999904025

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger

I have one, but with the barrel band. It really over penetrates prairie dogs - the biggest and the meanest game I've shot with it. I'm not sure about expansion either, since so far I have not found bullets.

The rifle handles well. I had a Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem Mag that the felt recoil was higher - until I restocked it. But then I don't have a scope on my 416. I've tried a couple of loads 400 grain solids and a mono bullet, I think around 320 grain. Both very accurate or as accurate as I can shoot with metal sights.

Since I doubt that I'll make it to Africa, I will sell it at the Tulsa Gun show. If anyone is interested it has shot less than 40 rounds. It looks like new. Dies, brass 20 fired and 20 unfired, and bullets come with it along with the original box, rings etc..

$2,100 firm! (Plus shipping and insurance)

It didn't sell in Tulsa. I think the biggest game I'll be hunting is probably Moose and I think the 416 won't be needed.
Lots of solids and mono bullets, 20 unfired cases and 20 fired cases, dies, everything that came from the factory in the factory box.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own 1- 416 Rigby in a Ruger # 1

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,331 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.