Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They are all over Texas, saw one not long ago close to my house running across highway

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting that they vary their diet that much. We don't have but precious little other game so deer and elk would get the brunt of it here. I wish they would have told us how often a lion kills a deer. I've heard 1 a week.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know a trapper that sets for lions only, full time. His numbers are truly
off the charts. Of course he has access to thousands of West Tx. acres.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool. A buddy of mine has a ranch near Abilene and I've spent a lot of time there. We've seen, what we think is a fairly large black mountain lion there on several occasions. At first we thought it might be a Jaguarundi, but we it's bigger than either a Jaguarundi or a bobcat. Apparently, mountain lions can have black coloration. Whenever we see it, it's only for a few seconds as the animal seems to be very wary and it quickly runs off into thick cover. We've been hoping to get a photo of it, but we've never had enough time before it disappears.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good video, but not sure I'm buying that 0% livestock killed thing. I trust these researchers about as much as any other member of academia or politician. Look at the data behind "global warming". They have an agenda. They want these animals. Are they telling the truth? Who knows. . .

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
The only reason I think they might not kill as much cattle is because it takes time to kill, and you have to deal with a 900 pond mother. I was supersized they eat coyotes though.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
I know a trapper that sets for lions only, full time. His numbers are truly
off the charts. Of course he has access to thousands of West Tx. acres.

Good money in that too!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lots of them down here, have seen them at the botanical gardens on the southside of town years ago.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Very cool. A buddy of mine has a ranch near Abilene and I've spent a lot of time there. We've seen, what we think is a fairly large black mountain lion there on several occasions. At first we thought it might be a Jaguarundi, but we it's bigger than either a Jaguarundi or a bobcat. Apparently, mountain lions can have black coloration. Whenever we see it, it's only for a few seconds as the animal seems to be very wary and it quickly runs off into thick cover. We've been hoping to get a photo of it, but we've never had enough time before it disappears.

LOL...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lol someone had to start the black lion up, even though there has never been a documented case of a Melanistic lion.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC

LOL...

Here we go...

Never fails...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

LOL...

Here we go...

Never fails...

Lots of big black hogs here about. In the Abilene area. But all mountain lions are tan. Period.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool video.

We used to do a lot of lion chasing with hounds, and to me, following a lion track in the snow to see how they go about their business in very interesting.

Several times, we've tracked them right through wintering and calving cattle and the lions would not give the calves or cows a second notice. But then go over the hill and catch a deer.

They catch coyotes more often then you'd think and often eat a good portion. I think many times a coyote would try to sneak in to grab a bite off a kill and fail to realize the lion was laying close by.

We used to have lots of porcupines in these parts and darn near every lion would have quills in them. They kill and eat porkies slicker than snot.

Momma lions with kittens to feed, kill more than lone males. Studies done in this part of the country say they make kills or some sort every week or two. It's not uncommon for young lions to starve to death either.

Last edited by Lonny; 01/27/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
HIGH NOON,

Fwiw, we DO have "el Tigre" in Texas (and more & more emigrate to TX each year) & Jaguars DO have a "dark phase" that in dim light LOOKS black.
(A bank surveillance camera in Mercedes, TX has taken video footage of Jaguars in the downtown at night.)

Btw, "El Tigre" considers humans only as a slow-moving, easily caught & tasty meal. = ALL jaguars will prey-upon people, if they are hungry & have the opportunity to do so.
(Inasmuch as jaguars often eat monkeys, it's NOT surprising that they will attack/eat people, too. as homo sapiens are primates.)

yours, tex

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

LOL...

Here we go...

Never fails...

Mention mountain lion and the black panther stories start flying! smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=DarlaG]HIGH NOON,

(A bank surveillance camera in Mercedes, TX has taken video footage of Jaguars in the downtown at night.)

You have a link to documentation? Thanks!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy told me he spoke to a biologist in the area that told him that mountain lions can be black. I have personally seen this animal on several occasions - it's definitely black or dark gray and it's definitely bigger than a Jaguarundi or a bobcat. Whether or not it's a mountain lion I cannot say. I guess it could be a Jaguar and I could give a [bleep] if you believe I've seen it or not.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/27/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My buddy told me he spoke to a biologist in the area that told him that mountain lions can be black. I have personally seen this animal on several occasions - it's definitely black or dark gray and it's definitely bigger than a Jaguarundi or a bobcat. Whether or not it's a mountain lion I cannot say. I could give a [bleep] if you believe me or not.

Ok.

If you say so.

I'd sure LOVE to have the name of that biologist.

If he works for the State of Texas, they need to fire his dumb ass.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 52 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,584
Posts18,473,375
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.