Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I always wondered why it ain't open earlier in November.

The rut. The majority of doe are bread around the 16th. An earlier season would have disastrous effect on reproduction.

Horse crap

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
PA has some of the strangest most rediculous deer hunting laws I’ve ever heard of. You want more days to your season. Allow hunting on sundays for a start.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
the virginia commission did this several years back to increase the amount of people hunting the first day.....
unfortunately it made it harder for me as i needed to take an extra day off from work to get to deer camp on friday to be ready for the deer hunting season....i guess it works for some but not for all

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

The rut. The majority of doe are bread around the 16th. An earlier season would have disastrous effect on reproduction.

No it doesn’t.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by moosemike
The PGC can't give us an extra day to hunt, they can't give us Sunday hunting, they can't give us semi auto rifles. Why? Because of tradition. It wasn't done that way in 1975 around here so it can never change. The hunters here will not allow progress.

It’s the anti-hunting and anti-gun lobbies. It’s not the hunters.

They’re a patient lot, happy to slowly peel away what’s sacred.

You’ve got your enemies and priorities all mixed up. That’s their goal.

No Brian it's a lot of hunters fighting the no Sunday hunting because of "tradition"

Locally no business close on opening day anymore. Hell most construction companies don't even lay off anymore.

I've talked with one of the 8 commissioners quite a bit about this and he is definitely not out to kill hunting and has dedicated his life to getting kids involved in hunting. The fact is that even though the schools have the day off any kid participating in school sports is still made to come to "non mandatory" practices. And no those practices aren't held at night.

I was a state ranked wrestler. My senior year, the last practice before Thanksgiving our coach told us we would be practicing Friday morning, Saturday morning and opening day of buck at 9 am. Several of us spoke up and said we wouldn't be there. He wouldn't relent. So in unison 11 seniors. Most of his starting front. 7 of us ranked highly in the state and expecting to return to Hershey stood up and walked out quitting the team.

There is no reason that they will cut a day off the season. And we have president that follows that with lengthening bear season which now starts the Saturday before Thanksgiving

In short I see this as a good thing.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Dale K
I've got 3 main beefs with moving the opener to the Saturday after Thanksgiving:

1) There is currently small game and turkey hunting on that day. In the past, I've done a lot of deer scouting while small game hunting (I hunt both in the same area) on that Saturday. That option would be lost.

2) Currently, I go to my daughters house near Reading for Thanksgiving, come home to Somerset on Saturday and go to my hunting area near DuBois on Sunday. With the Saturday opener, when do I travel and repack from 'family clothes' to 'hunting clothes'? Leave her house (and the grandkids) on Thanksgiving? Drive all day on Friday and end up dead tired for Saturday? Both of those options suck big time.

3) With Sundays currently closed for hunting of most species (coyotes, foxes, and crows are legal to hunt in Pa. on Sunday), what is there to do? Drink all day? Drive home so I can go to work on Monday? Target shoot and scare the deer more?

For me, it doesn't solve anything and only creates more problems.

Dale

I can't even wrap my head around that one. You deer hunt and small game hunt the same area. You small game hunt that Saturday and scout for the opener on Monday.

So going there to small game hunt is no problem on Saturday, but somehow going there to deer hunt on Saturday is a PIA. On top of that, you can't keep yourself occupied for 12 hours on Sunday, so the season needs to open on Monday.

Very confusing.

Also apparently bear mating, sleep and deer fugging all factors in, as well as the Blue laws. Yep, sounds groovy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I still have yet to hear an argument for why this makes sense. Having to take a day off to go hunting is not a reason.

This has nothing to do with Sundays. Folding all these issues together is a unwise. If you want to hunt Monday, hunt Monday. Anything else is concession—it’s letting it all slip away. I’ve hunted this season for over thirty years. The commitment I’ve made to making it happen over the last twenty is considerable. It’s never been convenient.

Rescheduling opening day of rifle season out of convenience is a huge mistake. Like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the 4th of July, it’s perfectly inconvenient.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
NY did the same and moved to a Saturday opener,the major difference is you can hunt Sunday the next day.It's stupid to have a Saturday opener then not be able to hunt the next day....fools

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I still have yet to hear an argument for why this makes sense. Having to take a day off to go hunting is not a reason.

This has nothing to do with Sundays. Folding all these issues together is a unwise. If you want to hunt Monday, hunt Monday. Anything else is concession—it’s letting it all slip away. I’ve hunted this season for over thirty years. The commitment I’ve made to making it happen over the last twenty is considerable. It’s never been convenient.

Rescheduling opening day of rifle season out of convenience is a huge mistake. Like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the 4th of July, it’s perfectly inconvenient.

I agree completely on tradition.

That said, if they moved it 2 weeks earlier on a Monday so it coincided with the rut, would that be a problem? Or is it the 1st Monday after Thanksgiving or nothing?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

That said, if they moved it 2 weeks earlier on a Monday so it coincided with the rut, would that be a problem? Or is it the 1st Monday after Thanksgiving or nothing?

The deer movement usually sucks the 1st Monday after Thanksgiving in Pa. I've hunted it enough to know it's not really worth jumping through hoops to make the trip unless I just want to spend time hunting with my pard that lives down there....hell he doesn't even hunt the opener in Pa. any more he drives to Ohio as it's the same day

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Maryland has opened on the Saturday after T'giving for probably as long as PA has done the Monday thing. No big deal. I hunt only PA the second week of the season anyway. What I would do if I were King would be to open Sunday hunting in PA also- there's one I never did understand.

I think it boils down to a lot of PA guys not wanting to interfere with the Weekend Before Hunting Season Deer Camp Traditions. I was smitten with that myself during the 20 years I lived in PA- head up to camp Friday after T'Giving, scout/small game hunt/sight in/plink/drink beer on Saturday, hit a couple bars Friday and Saturday night, chill out on Sunday, and hit it Monday morning.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

The deer movement usually sucks the 1st Monday after Thanksgiving in Pa. I've hunted it enough to know it's not really worth jumping through hoops to make the trip unless I just want to spend time hunting with my pard that lives down there....hell he doesn't even hunt the opener in Pa. any more he drives to Ohio as it's the same day

PA's rifle season is on the margins now more than anytime since the Great War. PA has so many other seasons early, the deer are all on high alert and they've gone nocturnal. Typically, having hunters in the woods moves deer during daylight. There'll be the odd straggler doe getting chased late and still hunting is an always an option, but the dynamic has really changed. All it takes is a modest sanctuary, off limits to hunters and that's where they'll spend the daylight hours.

Massive amounts of private land have been posted. Some is hunted, but very little of it experiences the kind of pressure (activity) it did when there were more hunters who were roaming around and with fewer boundaries. Opening the rifle season on Saturday does nothing to challenge the forces straining PA's hunting traditions. Opening Sunday to hunting year round, might create an opportunity to bring in younger hunters, but we're talking about kids who've got busier schedules than many adults. It's a tough situation.

At least for now deer hunting is memorialized in the form of an, albeit inconveniently placed, unofficial holiday on the Monday after Thanksgiving. It might not be the best season to hunt trophy bucks, but most who've lived it would agree it's about so much more than that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Like I said, you can't even give PA deer hunters an extra day. You can't give them anything or they bitch.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I started hunting in PA in 1947, which made last season my 72 nd.
In 1947 and into the early 50s there were "antler restrictions", requiring at least one antler to have a fork or put another way a Y on at least one side regardless of antler length. It was later changed to the 3" spike length to pacify hunters.
It took at least 8/9 hours assuming good weather/roads to drive the roughly 250 miles from where I lived in lower bucks co. to Cameron co. That because it was all 2 lane roads that took you right thru every town along the way. But the roads were also cluttered with cars containing other hunters, and when you arrived in places like Sinnemahoning, it was booming with hunters.
GET THIS, last fall on opening morning of buck season, there was just one lone hunter having breakfast in the dining room at the Slate Run Hotel, and that was a good friend of mine. Fact is that today, many of the nice old camps don't even open for deer season at all. Also today that same trip I mentioned can take less than 5 hours, and yet very few go.
There are far more bear and nicer bucks than ever, not to even mention the abundant turkey population, but fewer hunters hunting them.
There has never in my long lifetime been a better time for getting a trophy buck than there is today. The only thing lacking is the type hunters it requires to take one. Does it sound as though im touting on the good old days here?
Driving to camp on Friday after work, and driving back home on Sunday afternoon with a deer, especially a buck, really never would work well regardless of which days we might be permitted to hunt, or what day the season opens, or what type rifle you can shoot it with.
What will you be wanting next sonny, home delivery?

As for the PGC, im not a fan of government in any form, but even a semi independently run game department is far better than one controlled by the legislature and a governor completely. There is nothing the DCNR would like better than to be in "complete" control the game commission, same as they are over "our" public land.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yobuck
In 1947 and into the early 50s there were "antler restrictions", requiring at least one antler to have a fork or put another way a Y on at least one side regardless of antler length. It was later changed to the 3" spike length to pacify hunters.
It took at least 8/9 hours assuming good weather/roads to drive the roughly 250 miles from where I lived in lower bucks co. to Cameron co. That because it was all 2 lane roads that took you right thru every town along the way. But the roads were also cluttered with cars containing other hunters, and when you arrived in places like Sinnemahoning, it was booming with hunters.
GET THIS, last fall on opening morning of buck season, there was just one lone hunter having breakfast in the dining room at the Slate Run Hotel, and that was a good friend of mine. Fact is that today, many of the nice old camps don't even open for deer season at all. Also today that same trip I mentioned can take less than 5 hours, and yet very few go.
There are far more bear and nicer bucks than ever, not to even mention the abundant turkey population, but fewer hunters hunting them.
There has never in my long lifetime been a better time for getting a trophy buck than there is today. The only thing lacking is the type hunters it requires to take one. Does it sound as though im touting on the good old days here?
Driving to camp on Friday after work, and driving back home on Sunday afternoon with a deer, especially a buck, really never would work well regardless of which days we might be permitted to hunt, or what day the season opens, or what type rifle you can shoot it with.

As for the PGC, im not a fan of government in any form, but even a semi independently run game department is far better than one controlled by the legislature and a governor completely. There is nothing the DCNR would like better than to be in "complete" control the game commission, same as they are over "our" public land.

And there that is! Really all I can do at this point is laugh. I often drive 2 hours to my hunting spot and then 2 hours home at the end of the day.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Like I said, you can't even give PA deer hunters an extra day. You can't give them anything or they bitch.

Who needs an extra day? If you need another day, there's a whole other statewide season starting Dec. 26. thorough Jan.12.

Convincing hunters that every issue, whim, and fancy needs to be rolled into one another guarantees the reign of the political machine. That's their game.

What's the upside in adding another day to an already marginal rifle season reeling from myriad pressures?

Quit whining and hunt if you want to hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by yobuck

Great stuff YoBuck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Horse crap

"From 2000 to 2007, data on breeding dates from more than 2,500 females were collected. Average date of conception prior to APRs was November 17. Following APRs, average date of conception was November 16.

In Pennsylvania, most adult does are bred in mid-November and sexually mature female fawns tend to peak about two weeks later. Other aspects of breeding ecology, such as pregnancy rates and embryo counts, have also remained at stable and healthy levels.

Based on these data, it does not appear APRs significantly changed timing of breeding in Pennsylvania."

Put buck season earlier and that all goes out the window.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Horse crap

"From 2000 to 2007, data on breeding dates from more than 2,500 females were collected. Average date of conception prior to APRs was November 17. Following APRs, average date of conception was November 16.

In Pennsylvania, most adult does are bred in mid-November and sexually mature female fawns tend to peak about two weeks later. Other aspects of breeding ecology, such as pregnancy rates and embryo counts, have also remained at stable and healthy levels.

Based on these data, it does not appear APRs significantly changed timing of breeding in Pennsylvania."

What is your source, pahick?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Horse crap

What is your source, pahick?

Commission

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10Glocks, 1936M71, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 257man, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,765
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.