GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
What about Toyota?

The family last name that started Toyota is spelled Toyoda. So why isn't the car company spelled the same as the family name? Because in Japanese Toyoda uses 8 charters and is considered unlucky in Japanese numerology. So the car company was called Toyota, using 7 charters, with 7 being a lucky number in Japanese numerology.

The only difference is this one isn't made up - it's all true. If you're car shopping and believe that Jesus Christ is our Risen Savior and don't give two schits about numerology, you might want to keep this information in mind.

Uhhh no... Same non-sense as the old P&G "Moon and Stars" logo being a satanic symbol...

Toyota Motor Company was started in 1936 +/-. Nearly went bankrupt after WW II. Had to lay off HUGE portion of their work force which is a big no-no in Japanese culture. Anyone familiar with Japanese culture understands that "saving face" is a huge driver for them. When the company was re-organized in the early 1950's, the name was changed from Toyoda to Toyota to create a "new" company without the shame of the previous lay offs.

As an aside, to avoid having such financial hardships in the future, the Toyoda family chose to start setting aside a certain amount of money to have as a rainy day fund. Toyota Motor currently has more than $52 BILLION cash on hand. During the global automotive downturn in 2008-2009, their cash inventory dropped from $50B down to about $49B. No government hand outs necessary...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
GTO - Gas Tires and Oil

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found On Reservation Dump

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about Toyota?

The family last name that started Toyota is spelled Toyoda. So why isn't the car company spelled the same as the family name? Because in Japanese Toyoda uses 8 charters and is considered unlucky in Japanese numerology. So the car company was called Toyota, using 7 charters, with 7 being a lucky number in Japanese numerology.

The only difference is this one isn't made up - it's all true. If you're car shopping and believe that Jesus Christ is our Risen Savior and don't give two schits about numerology, you might want to keep this information in mind.

What a bunch a happy horse crap. Ain't no way that "toyoda" or "toyota" are 8 characters long. Figure ONE character per syllable. But hey, I've been wrong before, so I did a little googling:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2141

Sure enough, in katakana, both "toyoda" and "toyota" are three characters long.

Now, it does turn out that instead of 10 strokes in "toyoda", there are 8 in "toyota". But that unlike the Chinese where "ba" (8) sounds like "fa" which means fortune or riches, the Japanese don't really assign any special meaning to the number 8. Nor 7, or 10...

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
GMC. Great Mountain Climber. Gummy Motor Company

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio
Since it's cold and I won't be going outside for a day or two I got thinking, what were some of the meanings we gave to car company names back in the '50s & 60's?
Examples would be,
FORD - fix or repair daily
GM - general maintenance
today FIAT - fix it again Tony
Does anyone remember others?

Actually FORD stands for First On Race Day!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
GM= Government Motors

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Back in the '70's, I had a Nova. It didn't sell well among Hispanics since Nova in Spanish means no go.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
What about Toyota?

What a bunch a happy horse crap. Ain't no way that "toyoda" or "toyota" are 8 characters long. Figure ONE character per syllable. But hey, I've been wrong before, so I did a little googling:

Now, it does turn out that instead of 10 strokes in "toyoda", there are 8 in "toyota". But that unlike the Chinese where "ba" (8) sounds like "fa" which means fortune or riches, the Japanese don't really assign any special meaning to the number 8. Nor 7, or 10...

So, why isn't the company just called Toyoda then? LOL

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about Nissan?

"Nasty Import Sucks Savings Away to Nippon"

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
MOPAR.............Must own pickup and rope

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigd7378
GM= Government Motors

I was wondering when someone would get around to that one.

Only took three pages.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about Toyota?

Well, it looks like my knowledge of the auto industry is as robust as ever.

Click Here

"In 1936, the company held a competition for a new name. Toyota was a popular choice among many. "

According to the company, it received some 27,000 entries.

It says the winning design led to a change in the name of the automobiles and plants from "Toyoda" to "Toyota."

The name was chosen "because the number of strokes to write Toyota in Japanese (eight) was thought to bring luck and prosperity," it goes on.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ford

Flip over read directions
Phuqking old rebuilt Dodge
Found on road dead

GMC - Gay man's Chevy

Porsche - Proof only rich suckers can have everything

BMW
Breakout My Wallet
Black mans wish
Bavarian manure wagon

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad was a hardcore Ford fan.To him GMC= GODS mighty curse.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cracked
Head
Every
Valve
Rattles
Oil
Leaks
Every
Time

Generic
Made
Chevrolet

Poor
Old
Nagger
Thinks
It's
A
Cadillac

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What about Toyota?

Well, it looks like my knowledge of the auto industry is as robust as ever.

Click Here

"In 1936, the company held a competition for a new name. Toyota was a popular choice among many. "

According to the company, it received some 27,000 entries.

It says the winning design led to a change in the name of the automobiles and plants from "Toyoda" to "Toyota."

The name was chosen "because the number of strokes to write Toyota in Japanese (eight) was thought to bring luck and prosperity," it goes on.

Yeah, the BBC is known for their honest reporting....lol. Scripture, there, pure scripture! LMAO!!!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was the one who coined this GMC explanation: Compared to Chevy, it means Gave More Cash.

And as nobody has yet mentioned it... FIAT is Failed Italian Auto Trash.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Chevrolet- constantly having every vehicle recalled over lousy engineering techniques

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

734 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 66 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,302
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.