Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
We see new cartridges with the name Creedmoor. This is a name designed to sell a product. What does Creedmoor really mean[img]http://www.nrai.ie/creedmoor-history.html[/img]??

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have not made a science of it, but I'm not aware of any standard that must be met before a rifle, cartridge, or bullet can carry a Creedmoor label.

Lifted from another site:

What can be patented ? Any “new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof” can be patented subject to further conditions and requirements of U.S. patent law.

We can have issues with some names, however, where a product is associated with a given region. There were once champagnes manufactured all over the world. Now any sparkling wine carrying that label must come from the Champagne region.

Sort of like "tactical." See applied everything from bolt handles to tooth paste.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/30/19.

1Minute
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s like magnum on lots of cartridges. It was the big thing for a long time. Guys didn’t want it if it wasn’t an earth shaking, fire breathing MAGNUM.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not a damn thing....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Before the cartridges, Creedmoor was a shooting style or position used with handguns. The shooter would lie back, raise up the knee on his shooting side with the foot still on the ground, and rest the handgun against the side of his lower leg.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lightning bolt of Zeus!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Creedmoor, Tx

Population 202

Salute!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It means the range in NY where the matches are held on 70 original acres purchased from a Mr Creed in 1872

Last edited by Reloder28; 01/30/19.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's a secret code.

The "C" at the beginning is an abbrevation of "Cash," because you only have to spend abbreviated cash to buy an accurate 6.5 Creedmoor.

The "reed" spelled backwards is "deer."

"Moor" is a common Campfire misspelling of "more."

Put it all together and it means more deer for less cash.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It's a secret code.

The "C" at the beginning is an abbrevation of "Cash," because you only have to spend abbreviated cash to buy an accurate 6.5 Creedmoor.

Ya know, they’s gonna be some folk that will believe that. Quite imaginative nonetheless.

Robert E. Lee
IC B3

H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The laws of physics give no extra ability to a cartridge because of a catchy name. The name Creedmoor is used as a sales pitch. The same as business uses catchy names to sell all types of products. The 6.5 CM is a decent cartridge but not magical. When compared to the 260 Rem. the CM holds about 1.5grs less powder. Therefore when both cartridges are loaded to the same PSI the 260 is ballisticly superior. I have heard some say it is more accurate. Another fallacy. Accuracy depends on many points. Quality of the barrel & action. Ability of the gun smith putting all together. . Have you noticed how accuracy of factory mass produced rifles has improved over the years. I have seen it improve significantly since the 1960's. CNC machinery producing closer tolerances. Improved metallurgy. These improvements are what contribute to accuracy not a name. My self & a friend both have Savage model 16's in 260 Rem. With the same bullet ,powder & loaded OAL they both will almost shoot one hole groups.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It has mystical powers!!!

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
hipster slang for homosexual tendencies

how's that for a first post LOL

GOD Bless America
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Creedmoor was literally Creed's moor on Long Island, New Dork they built a 1000 yd range there for 1000 yd matches back in 1870's eventually the land was sold and a hospital for mentally ill folks was built there, still a lot of mentally ill folks in New Dork..... The 6.5 Creedmoor was named after the match as it was and is promoted as a 1000yd cartridge. Sounds better to me than 6.5 New Dork State Mental Hospital right? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An epic thread similar to this started around 2013, though it asked what .223 AI meant.

I see greatness ahead.

Prepare for elysium.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Before the cartridges, Creedmoor was a shooting style or position used with handguns. The shooter would lie back, raise up the knee on his shooting side with the foot still on the ground, and rest the handgun against the side of his lower leg.

Be sure not to do this with a revolver! The 36,000 psi gas that comes from the cylinder gap on a 44 Mag will slice your jeans and leg open like a scalpel.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's a secret code.

Damn, I think John actually solved it.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's a secret code.

Saving this. It’s going to be a new “urban legend.”

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the 1st and 2nd Rockie movies ,Rockie boxed Creed for the world boxing title and now somehow we have the new super cartridge CREEDMOOR ! this new cartridge is a death ray lightning bolt advertised in the hunting world and for the ammo and rifle manufactures its a cash cow !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 64 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.