Print Thread
Hop To
Page 76 of 1,068 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 1067 1068
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Queer looking critter that........

[Linked Image]

I hate those things. I call them devil spawn. We had a hunting lease and the owner wanted to keep his devil sheep. We fought those things for a long time before we gave up the lease. They would tear the bottom off of the feeders no matter how much fence you put around it. Broke into the screen porch one time and we had beer and fridge food all over the place. Can't express how much I hate them. I'll shoot the next one I see....no doubt.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
HR IC

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Mouflon,aoudad and red sheep are the ones I would like to hunt.

I had just perforated two hoglets,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(this one was in need a'killin')

when this guy showed up.

Jacob 4 horn sheep

[Linked Image]

It was all I could do to shoot him with my camera rather than my rifle!

A guy could make a cover for his bowling ball with his nut-sack!

ya!

GWB

GeeDub,for some reason those 4-horned sheep don't interest me. But dadgum they sure do get your attention!

They kinda look like something from outer space IMO. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Queer looking critter that........

[Linked Image]

i would have shot that demon creature until the magazine ran dry so it could no longer haunt the earth

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyMFnKdWsAI0VbB?format=jpg&name=small

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Then why isn't that 4 horned monstrosity dead? That was an easy TOO, no?

No mounting required, unless you're at least a 12 pack deep.

Then, all bets are off.

Deal with it.

How to say this without coming across negatively.

The four horned sheep in the Picture was on the occasion of the 2017 24hr. Campfire Hog Hunt.

These are the reasons I did not shoot it.

This part of the Thompson Ranch is high fenced, probably 5,000 acres or so in this "trap". I don't hunt high fence for "game". Don't have a problem with anyone else doing it. As a rule, I don't.
BTW, I consider hoglets to be "vermin", not game, even though they may be the best tasting bullet test media to date.

I eschew paid hunts where I have to use the services of a guide. All of the animals on my wall were taken DIY, by me, with the exception of one sheep. and a bear rug (which is on the floor). The sheep, I watched guy on the hunt with me do an archery kill. He did not pick up at the Taxidermist and I got a call to see if I wanted it.

The bear was taken on a "hound hunt". I did the hunt mainly to introduce a young man to the thrill of hunting and being in camp with quality guys!

If I do a paid hunt such as the 24hr Campfire hog hunt, its much more about getting together with a bunch of quality guys, an the memories made, than it is about killing hogs. As you may have noticed I kill them quite often on my own, on trespass leases that I pay for.

Finally, it would have cost $1,500 in trophy fees. The digital image was included in the price of the hunt (along with several hundred more)

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 257heaven
[quote=DigitalDan]Queer looking critter that........

I hate those things. I call them devil spawn. We had a hunting lease and the owner wanted to keep his devil sheep. We fought those things for a long time before we gave up the lease. They would tear the bottom off of the feeders no matter how much fence you put around it. Broke into the screen porch one time and we had beer and fridge food all over the place. Can't express how much I hate them. I'll shoot the next one I see....no doubt.

As you recall, years ago the Texas hill Country and the area around Rock Springs was the Mohair Capitol and the mohair subsidy was still in force. The land there in much of the area is only fit for sheep and goats. One cow per 25 acres was the rule in parts IIRC. So, in the Sixties and 70's and even up to around 2,000 most ranches in the hill country had sheep. Like you said, they are destructive critters. Even today, when we get flash floods and the low water gaps get knocked down and game escapes from the high fenced game ranches one is likely to see any manner of critter up to and including elk. I recently had a magnificent sika buck show up at several of my game cameras and one of my buds took a nice Sika doe. She weighed +/- 300 lbs. My bud said he got as much meat off her as 3 white-tail bucks.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/31/19.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

it would have cost $1,500

GWB

You could have started and stopped right there...and I would have understood completely!

He wouldn't have been "game"...he would have been depredated. Maybe even a mercy kill as ugly as they are.

I only use a guide when required by law (like what I am doing right now)...I have nothing against using them, for various reasons but like you and many others here, I get the DIY satisfaction, plus I am a total tight ass😀.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A few hound pics from this year...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
might have been worth $1500 to save the world from that foul brimstone beast. i wouldnt call the taxidermist though ... that mount would put a hex on any structure in which it was affixed

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
225 Sierra from a .35 Whelen that traveled most of the way through a muley...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
100 SGK from a .257 Rbts AI vs. whitetail heart..

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Missouri River Breaks...

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Waiting for a couple victims to stand up and turn broadside...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

Why would you shoot such a thing?

Have some decency and hunt a real sheep.

Hey! I just saw a pic of a Mouflon YOU shot! Poor little thing! How could you?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

when this guy showed up.

Jacob 4 horn sheep

[Linked Image]

It was all I could do to shoot him with my camera rather than my rifle!

A guy could make a cover for his bowling ball with his nut-sack!

ya!

GWB

Seen a few of them...never seen a more stupid critter in my life. Killed a hog, like you did and had to manually scare the sheep out of the way so I could go get him...they moved off a few feet and stared...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

GWB

You could have started and stopped right there...and I would have understood completely!

He wouldn't have been "game"...he would have been a depredated. Maybe even a mercy kill as ugly as they are.

I only use a guide when required by law (like what I am doing right now)...nothing wrong with using them but I also get the DIY satisfaction, plus I am a total tight ass😀.

T,

I'm now 67and have gotten old in the past year.

I got married in '78.

I spent the next 10 years building a business and going broke during oil crunch.

I refused to take a job, as I did not have a trade and no college degree.

It took until Y2K to get back on top.

I quit in 2000, and my main focus has been to go for 4 to 5 days, at least once a month, to one of my trespass leases in the hill country.

I've killed literally thousands of critters, I'm getting to the point where killing is not as important as it used to be. For example, I always hunt on my birthday.. Got there late on Tuesday. One of my buds was there and he had a camprife and a bottle of Jack Daniels and by time I got out of the car, he had me a "Misty" made. Well I got "Misty-fied, and slept in Wednesday morning. I did hunt that evening. Well we cooked steaks and had a couple adult beverages Wedneday nite. Got to bed early. Thursday morning the wind was blowing 30 mph plus with the front that blew in. I stuck my head out, then went back bed. Hunted Thursday eve. The wind finally laid at dark I got skunked. Got to bed early Thursday nite. Well Friday Dec. 21st was my birthday. So I slept in. Even three years ago that would not have happened.

If I was a young man these days, and had the means I would probably go to Argentina, New Zealand, Africa, Alberta, BC, and do paid hunts.

I like the saying

A man is not old until regrets takes the place of dreams.

Lord knows I could do some fine hunts, as I spend $10K plus a year perforating hoglets. These days, my dreams are much smaller.

ya!

GWB

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well Geedub..the old codgers table won't be hard to find at the Hog hunt...see you there! laugh

Glad to say my regrets haven't replaced my dreams just yet...mainly cause I have very few regrets. They say you regret the things you DIDN'T do more than the things you did do.... there ain't a whole lot I didn't do.....

Last edited by ingwe; 01/31/19.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

That's different.

Besides, I'm an asshoIe.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

That's different.

Besides, I'm an asshoIe.

Yeah....

But so am I, and I take offense at you infringing on my territory!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

GWB

He wouldn't have been "game"...he would have been a depredated. Maybe even a mercy kill as ugly as they are.

I only use a guide when required by law (like what I am doing right now)...nothing wrong with using them but I also get the DIY satisfaction, plus I am a total tight ass😀.

T,

I'm now 67and have gotten old in the past year.

I got married in '78.

I spent the next 10 years building a business and going broke during oil crunch.

I refused to take a job, as I did not have a trade and no college degree.

It took until Y2K to get back on top.

I quit in 2000, and my main focus has been to go for 4 to 5 days, at least once a month, to one of my trespass leases in the hill country.

I've killed literally thousands of critters, I'm getting to the point where killing is not as important as it used to be. For example, I always hunt on my birthday.. Got there late on Tuesday. One of my buds was there and he had a camprife and a bottle of Jack Daniels and by time I got out of the car, he had me a "Misty" made. Well I got "Misty-fied, and slept in Wednesday morning. I did hunt that evening. Well we cooked steaks and had a couple adult beverages Wedneday nite. Got to bed early. Thursday morning the wind was blowing 30 mph plus with the front that blew in. I stuck my head out, then went back bed. Hunted Thursday eve. The wind finally laid at dark I got skunked. Got to bed early Thursday nite. Well Friday Dec. 21st was my birthday. So I slept in. Even three years ago that would not have happened.

If I was a young man these days, and had the means I would probably go to Argentina, New Zealand, Africa, Alberta, BC, and do paid hunts.

I like the saying

A man is not old until regrets takes the place of dreams.

Lord knows I could do some fine hunts, as I spend $10K plus a year perforating hoglets. These days, my dreams are much smaller.

ya!

GWB

You're da man...

I like your style!

Page 76 of 1,068 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 1067 1068

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.