Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by country_20boy

If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'm listening.....

Try a different scope on that rifle, with nothing else changed.

Try that scope on a rifle known to be accurate.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Country 20boy, isn't this much better than starting a thread in "Hunting Rifles" just to let Big Stick prance around schitting all over it?

Amen......

I have that bloke on "ignore". His contributions are not worth reading, and so I don't read them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
country,

Did you actually measure the wind, or estimate it?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
country 20boy,

I'm guessing there's something gone wrong with the parallax, for whatever reason. Vertical stringing is often a sign of excess parallax, because the comb of the stock tends to keep our eye in vertical line with the reticle, but not so much up and down, unless we have a really firm cheek weld.

Parallax seems to be the consensus. I'm going to swap some scopes around later this week and try again. I'll keep you posted, but it looks like this one is headed back to Oregon for repairs......

Dont send it here. I just toss them as far as i can, when they go bad.. Try one of those chinese knockoffs, it might be better..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I find it interesting that nowhere does the OP state what caliber, bullet, rifle make and model, scope make and model and the automatic consensus is parallax due to one guy stringing and the next shooter shotgunning. I can think of a bunch more variables to throw in from shooter to shooter than parallax.

I intentionally left out a lot of info, so that no one would jump to conclusions based solely on the brand names...... I also didn't want to point fingers at anyone who may have sold me a junk scope or rifle......and I'm still not.

But here you go:
Nosler M48 in 7mm-08
Leupold VX-5HD
Talley rings
Handloaded bullets were 150 ELDX with RL-15 powder
Factory ammo was Fed. Premium 140 NBT

Rifle was on sand bags, front and rear. Same as I've done hundreds of times with a dozen different rifles.

Believe me, after my Saturday range session, I was questioning everything. That's why I brought along another shooter on Sunday and grabbed some factory ammo. Trying to eliminate 1 variable at a time......
I'm usually a pretty decent bench shooter and I've never seen anything like this. My other guns always hold about the same relative group size. I.E., 1/2" groups at 100 = 1" groups at 200 and 2" groups at 400....

If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'm listening.....

These guys will help you now maybe, but the way your original post sounded was like calling to get your car fixed, My car isn’t running right need it fixed and how much? make don’t know, model don’t know, engine don’t know, then how can I know how to fix it?
Don’t, but you got a lot of guessing advice without all that info but I bet the car wasn’t running right due to parallax.

Swifty
IC B2

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Are you shooting both target ranges at the same magnification?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
country,

Did you actually measure the wind, or estimate it?

Estimate and also looked at weather app. Trust me the wind was a non factor.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WAM
Are you shooting both target ranges at the same magnification?

Yes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I highly doubt its a true "1/2 moa" rifle, even at 100. Those, as we all know, are hard to come by.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Why was the wind a non-factor? Was it blowing steadily from one direction? Or was it switching a little?

We still don't even know the bullet/velocity, etc. A 5 mph wind (which many shooters would consider a non-factor) switching back and forth can result in considerable effect on groups at 200 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why was the wind a non-factor? Was it blowing steadily from one direction? Or was it switching a little?

We still don't even know the bullet/velocity, etc. A 5 mph wind (which many shooters would consider a non-factor) switching back and forth can result in considerable effect on groups at 200 yards.

MD, anything I posted wasn’t a dig on you as I value your knowledge. The reason I quoted this is you are 100% correct. There’s a reason for wind flags.

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Swifty,

I appreciate that, and I wasn't reacting to your post.

The problem could also be a combination of factors, not just one. In my experience problems with scope parallax (including such stuff as loose reticle cells, which don't always show up on every shot) and wind are two VERY common factors in group size beyond 100 yards. Wind, in fact, the the big reason for the myth that bullets lose stability at longer ranges.

Then there's the human element, which we just witnessed in the thread on light rifles, where one shooter shot tight groups and another shot scatters under the same conditions. Just because two shooters got comparable results at 100 and 200 doesn't mean those are the ONLY possible results.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I highly doubt its a true "1/2 moa" rifle, even at 100. Those, as we all know, are hard to come by.

I agree. Never said it was a 1/2" rifle and it's suspect at best right now....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So is it a "double-secret probation" rifle?

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

The wind was almost straight at me and 2-3 mph.
7mm08
150 ELDX were chrono'd at 2720 fps previously.
The factory 140 NBT haven't been verified but I would assume about 2800.
My apologies if I came across as defensive. I know you and others here have vastly more experience than me.
I do know enough to know that something isn't right and it's bothering me. It will probably be next weekend before I can test it again....
Thanks for your help.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
OK

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The title of your thread says "why would a rifle shoot 1/2 moa at 100 yards and 2 moa at 200 yards". I didnt say it was a "1/2" rifle" either. There is a difference. If you want help, you need to know and understand the difference. I also think its a parallax issue, as i have lost all faith in leupold rifle scopes. Ive seen so many go tits up, it isn't even funny. Vortex is in the same boat. When evaluating the accuracy potential of a rifle, one of the general rules (for myself) is to start with a "proven" rifle scope and mounting system. If you buy a rifle that already has bases and rings attached, pull them. I make damn sure everything is de-greased and ill go through the extra bit and chase/clean up the tapped holes in the receiver, check screws for proper length (to be sure they arent going to bottom out prematurely), use blue loctite and make sure everything is tight and perfectly lined up. As ive said before, out of alignment rings puts uneven pressure on the scope tube, which may allow the scope to move during recoil. What some dont realize is, if the scope twists or moves, just a minuscule amount, it will have a profound affect on accuracy. If you dont believe me, do a little test with said rifle: Get it all zeroed, then pull the scope off, tighten it back up and see where your poi shifts. It may be an eye opener. Thats why it may be necessary to lap your rings and in some extreme cases, even bed your bases. Furthermore, Im not saying its a bad shooter or bad rifle, but you need to make sure your bases are well covered and your foundation established, before pulling the trigger, if you are in search consistent accuracy in a rifle. Jb has been hitting the nail on the head, you may want to pick up some of his books or search out articles regarding accuracy enhancements, rifle accurizing etc. I havent bought a magazine in over a decade, but i know accurizing tips and tricks were always a hot item, discussed by JB's buddies in rifleshooter.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The title of your thread says "why would a rifle shoot 1/2 moa at 100 yards and 2 moa at 200 yards". I didnt say it was a "1/2" rifle" either. There is a difference. If you want help, you need to know and understand the difference. I also think its a parallax issue, as i have lost all faith in leupold rifle scopes. Ive seen so many go tits up, it isn't even funny. Vortex is in the same boat. When evaluating the accuracy potential of a rifle, one of the general rules (for myself) is to start with a "proven" rifle scope and mounting system. If you buy a rifle that already has bases and rings attached, pull them. I make damn sure everything is de-greased and ill go through the extra bit and chase/clean up the tapped holes in the receiver, check screws for proper length (to be sure they arent going to bottom out prematurely), use blue loctite and make sure everything is tight and perfectly lined up. As ive said before, out of alignment rings puts uneven pressure on the scope tube, which may allow the scope to move during recoil. What some dont realize is, if the scope twists or moves, just a minuscule amount, it will have a profound affect on accuracy. If you dont believe me, do a little test with said rifle: Get it all zeroed, then pull the scope off, tighten it back up and see where your poi shifts. It may be an eye opener. Thats why it may be necessary to lap your rings and in some extreme cases, even bed your bases. Furthermore, Im not saying its a bad shooter or bad rifle, but you need to make sure your bases are well covered and your foundation established, before pulling the trigger, if you are in search consistent accuracy in a rifle. Jb has been hitting the nail on the head, you may want to pick up some of his books or search out articles regarding accuracy enhancements, rifle accurizing etc. I havent bought a magazine in over a decade, but i know accurizing tips and tricks were always a hot item, discussed by JB's buddies in rifleshooter.

Just got back to this, while you do have a good point, I did some digging.
Nosler only guarantees 1 model, full custom to shoot 3 shots into 3/4” at 100. And that’s with Nosler approved ammo only. 😀
All the other M48’s are only to expect 1 MOA or less at 100.
1 MOA is 1.047” at 100. So if it shoots 3 shots into 1.02 then it’s meeting the accuracy guarantee. 😀
1 MOA @ 200 = roughly 2.094 if it can hold true MOA.
So if it’s shooting 2” @ 200 then it’s actually bettering the guarantee. But I still wouldn’t call 2.5”- 3” out of the realm of normal with out match grade ammo.
I still don’t think it’s parallax, but more him expecting more than the rifle and ammo can do without tuning or a little more work.

Swifty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Just got back to this, while you do have a good point, I did some digging.
Nosler only guarantees 1 model, full custom to shoot 3 shots into 3/4” at 100. And that’s with Nosler approved ammo only. 😀
All the other M48’s are only to expect 1 MOA or less at 100.
1 MOA is 1.047” at 100. So if it shoots 3 shots into 1.02 then it’s meeting the accuracy guarantee. 😀
1 MOA @ 200 = roughly 2.094 if it can hold true MOA.
So if it’s shooting 2” @ 200 then it’s actually bettering the guarantee. But I still wouldn’t call 2.5”- 3” out of the realm of normal with out match grade ammo.
I still don’t think it’s parallax, but more him expecting more than the rifle and ammo can do without tuning or a little more work.

I disagree. Maybe with an inexperienced shooter, your viewpoint has some validity, but with someone who has BTDT, shooting off a good bench or rest, if the optics are fine, the group isn't going to open up like that. At least I have never seen it over thousands of rounds in about 2 dozen rifles, and while watching many thousands more fired in at least 2 dozen other rifles and involving at least 20 other shooters. Unless something wonky happens with the bullets, the cone of the load's ability and the shooter's ability to group are going to be roughly linear, if wind is a non-factor. I've been involved in teaching several kids to shoot rifles with magnifying optics, and it is just as true with them. If they can shoot 1" at 50 yds, they basically shoot 2" at 100, 4" at 200, and roughly 6" at 300.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Told you I did some digging

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/1/25/the-28-nosler/

[Linked Image]

Seems even MD couldn’t get one to average under an inch @ 100. Guess he’s inexperienced.
Also read couple of reviews on the 7-08 and not one of them averaged under an inch.

Swifty
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (16penny, 14idaho, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 45 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,991
Posts18,481,094
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.