Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Question:
Where is this made?! What is the country written on the box ?!

Answer:
My T-gal use and care instruction guide says China is the origin.

Jk
· April 18, 2018

grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mainly use Carbon, some cast.

I keep a small Teflon for eggs.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
If you buy your woman cookware for Valentines Day you deserve to be hit over the head with a frying pan....just saying

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Start by skipping the sets. Make a list of what and how you cook. Then go to TJ Max/Home Goods and buy just the pieces you need.

If one selects carefully, there are some really nice pots/pans at very low prices in second hand stores.

Don't have a single piece of nonstick stuff anymore. All cast iron with a couple stainless sketti pots.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
These 4 pots do about all I need-

12" Lodge deep fryer
10.5" Lodge flat griddle
a 3?? qt sauce pan
a large stock pot

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought my son this set for Christmas. It is made here in the US. I thought it was a bargain. He is quite happy with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Se...et-w-Skillet-Griddle-Dutch-Oven/24873923

Conduct is the best proof of character.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Some good suggestions, although I'm not sure my wife is willing to deal with non stick pans and the weight of cast iron. I've been eyeing sets like this due to having the non stick frying pans.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...s-steel-10-piece-cookware-set/1017866311

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/15pc-ss-cookware-set-emeril/prod21280139?xid=plp_product_1_2

In the under $150 range it appears you spend your money and take your chances.

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Decently smooth and seasoned cast iron can't be beat in my opinion. People spend a lot of money trying to meet their performance level. Decent US made cookware and a small amount of upkeep will keep you happy for generations. I've had good luck with Lodge after initially getting rid of the factory 'seasoning' and smoothing them out some. There are fancier (and lighter) makes out there too like Stargazer, Field Co and Le Creuset . Lots of old iron out there too with a lot of life left in them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A lot of if not most cookware with anodized exterior finish is usually not dishwasher safe as they will stain and discolor badly (daughter ruined a new set of Emeril Lagasse branded anodized cookware via auto dishwasher) We've never had a skillet yet with the typical type of "non-stick" interior coating to last much longer than a year or two, regardless the brand. Any use of metal utensils will soon have the nonstick coating scratched and flaking off. No telling how much of the nonstick coating we've ate.

A good many cookware sets are basically the same construction and manufactured by the same companies but sold under multiple brand names with a few minor mostly cosmetic differences.

For normal family use moderately priced stainless cookware, Revere Ware with the thick solid copper or aluminum base was the best bang for the buck we've had.

Got two T-Fal skillets right now needing to be replaced after just barely two years of use and the nonstick coating is flaking off. Same for a Faberware electric skillet, too.

Been kind of thinking about giving one of the "Granite Rock" mineral based nonstick coating skillets try to see how well they hold up.

Here is a 10 piece set of the "Granite Rock" cookware for a $99.99 --- GraniteRock 10-Piece Non-Stick Ultr...ranite Coated Scratch Proof Cookware Set

Last edited by joken2; 01/31/19.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CMH
. . . There are fancier (and lighter) makes out there too like Stargazer, Field Co and Le Creuset . . .

Lodge claims to be the only USA manufacturer of cast iron pots and pans/skillets

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you believe in quality and have a set dollar figure in mind, go buy the piece that you use the most in the best quality you can find. Later do it again with a different piece, until you have what you need. Best money in the litchen is spent on quality knives and cast iron cookware. Buy once. Cry once.

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by CMH
. . . There are fancier (and lighter) makes out there too like Stargazer, Field Co and Le Creuset . . .

Lodge claims to be the only USA manufacturer of cast iron pots and pans/skillets

They are definitely the largest, but not the only.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Holy Crap FG!!! Are you the cook in a logging camp?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll also chip in as against a set. Nothin' wrong with a set I guess, I'd just round up each piece I like.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Holy Crap FG!!! Are you the cook in a logging camp?

mike r

TFF!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by EdM
I bought my son this set for Christmas. It is made here in the US. I thought it was a bargain. He is quite happy with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Se...et-w-Skillet-Griddle-Dutch-Oven/24873923

Hard to go wrong there. A LOT to be said fro good USA made cast iron. Personally, I have a modest collection that covers 90% of my needs. 4 skillets(#5 Lodge 3 notch, #8 Ozark unmarked, #8 Griswold, #10 New production Lodge), 1 griddle(Lodge Pro 2 burner) and a dutch oven(#8 Favorite with lid). Been scoping out a Wagner Ware waffle iron lately, a buddy has an extra.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would recommend that you avoid anything non-stick or hard-anodized, they simply do not last and the plastic utensils you must use with this type of cookware sucks. Vollrath commercial stainless steel cookware is high quality and the prices are fairly decent as well if you shop around. Look at the Vollrath Tribute. I would also get a few vintage Griswold cast iron skillets and a dutch oven, which is probably the best cookware ever made - 12" & 8" etc. - and they can often be found at flea markets and garage sales, but modern LODGE cast iron will suffice (though significantly more bulky than a vintage Griswold) if you don't want to spend the time looking for a vintage Griswold. A Vollrath Stock pot or two (6 and 8 qt); sauce pans (4 and 3 qt.); and a 10"-12" stainless steel skillet, will likely be all you need. This way, you can use quality stainless steel utensils that will last forever and not melt like the crappy plastic/nylon ones. Go check out a local restaurant supply and see what they have available and you can get all the stainless steel utensils you need there as well: tongs, spoons/slotted. spatulas, turners, sieves, forks, etc.

Edit: Barkeepers Friend is excellent for cleaning stainless steel.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/31/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In 2013 when Paula Deen was dropped by Wal-Mart I picked up a set of her non-stick cookware on clearance cheap. It has held up beautifully over the years and I cook in it daily. I have an electric range but never use the nonstick for high temp frying and only use non-metal implements. For high temp cooking, I use cast or stainless if it is acidic. They held up so well I searched Amazon to see if I could still get a set for when these bite the dust and was able to order a set last year. Here they are if you are interested. PAULA DEEN COOKWARE $119 shipped. IMO, if you are going to roll non-stick, you'll still need some quality pieces to augment.

There are other sets by Paula Deen but this is the only set that matches what I have. The newer model stuff is much cheaper and I can't speak for its quality.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a perfect starter set right there Ed.....Maybe throw in a copper bottom sketti pot and call it good.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,513
Posts18,472,386
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.