Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department reports that no injuries were sustained during the accidental discharge of a firearm in a hunter education class on Jan. 28 in Rawlins. Students were present and on break while instructors were preparing firearms for the hands-on portion of the class when the discharge occurred. Game and Fish is working to finalize its report on the incident.

“We are very thankful that no one was injured,” said George Oberstadt, hunter education coordinator for Game and Fish.

The incident occured Monday evening, Jan. 28, at the Department of Corrections Training Facility in Rawlins. The certified volunteer hunter education instructors were preparing the firearms at the side of the classroom when the discharge occurred.

Game and Fish protocol requires hunter education instructors to notify the Game and Fish hunter education coordinator in the event of an incident which then sets into motion a review of the incident, filing of reports and appropriate action as outlined in policy and procedures.

Game and Fish has procedures outlined in the instructor handbook related to firearm handling both before and while firearms are present in the classroom. These include:

“All firearms, inert or firing, must be handled with the utmost care. Procedures should include:

Verify the firearm is unloaded and cased prior to entering a classroom.
When setting up a classroom activity, the coordinating instructor must verify that all firearms are unloaded.
A second instructor, or experienced volunteer, must also verify that the firearms are unloaded.
Bore safety flags should be used to indicate that the firearm is safe; bore safety flags may be removed but must be in place during any handling by students.
The coordinating instructor must also verify that there is NO live ammunition in the class, unless live-fire activities are being conducted.
The coordinating instructor will keep a log of each firearm brought into class and the appropriate ownership.
Students are not allowed to bring their own firearms or ammunition into class.”

“Our primary goal with hunter education is to teach safe firearm handling to prevent hunting accidents,” Oberstadt said. “There are stringent protocols in place for firearm handling in hunter education classrooms to ensure safety.”

A complete review of the incident is ongoing and will result in appropriate action per department protocols and policies.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With some of the instructors I have seen here I am surprised it does not happen more often.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
WTF.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like an instructor needs some instruction.
Betcha he is beyond embarassed

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
There was a mishap like that around here but the guy fired a flintlock muzzle loader. He thought it was unloaded and showed how it worked and the gun fired. The game instructor was immediately asked to pack up his stuff and leave.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back when me and my friend did the hunter ed.classes we made darn sure there was no live ammo in the building.

We did not have any problems like this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone has that "it can't happen here" attitude..... But it can. Check...... Double Check....... Triple Check.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Back when me and my friend did the hunter ed.classes we made darn sure there was no live ammo in the building.

^This^

SOP

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Accidents do happen. whistle

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Everyone has that "it can't happen here" attitude..... But it can. Check...... Double Check....... Triple Check.

^ Yep; that’s what I’m asking of my students so that is what I do. Every time. Over & over again.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Inexcusable

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Empty chambers no go bang. That's 100%, muzzle control is not.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
His/her time as an instructor is over.

1Minute
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well Holy DAMN, that's NOT going to do anything for the parents confidence with the whole "let's educate Jr and Missy about guns so they can hunt with You and Gramps idea" crazy

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Facepalm

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tansun
Accidents do happen. whistle

Yes, but this was negligence.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by plainsman456

I instructed hunter education classes in Illinois 10 years ago. Got out of that when I started instructing concealed carry classes. I'm going to "volunteer" again for the hunter education classes. I felt like I was getting through to the students (kids) much more than I was getting through to the CC students. No negligent discharges...yet...in any of my classes. I think like NASA when it comes to safety checks...triple redundancy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

So-called "empty chambers" go bang all the time.

That's why muzzle control is Job Number One.

This class just learned that lesson, hopefully.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How completely stupid.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Walker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

So-called "empty chambers" go bang all the time.

That's why muzzle control is Job Number One.

This class just learned that lesson, hopefully.

An EMPTY chamber can never go bang.

So called EMPTY chambers ain't fugging empty chambers. Just like dudes with tits ain't chicks.

Muzzle control is important, but NO one can guarantee that, most especially when moving.

So, in short, empty chambers no go bang.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.