Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any of you guys have a camp trailer? Thinking about buying one and I’m going to look at a 2006 KZ camper tomorrow. For those that have a camper let me know what I should be looking for. I am not thrilled about storing it and am still considering a small offroad trailer with a rooftop tent but with a wife and 2 kids I want them to be comfortable

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bunkhouse style or extended living type(master bedroom etc)? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What will you be towing with?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The big question is are you going to set up a hunting camp with your trailer. Or you going to be pulling around the country.
If pulling consider your tow vehicle. I personally don’t like to pull anything over 32 foot. I’m talking 5th wheel with slides.
For using as a camp, the bigger the better. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Hello friend. I've spent a lot of time around campers and for what it's worth anything made by Northwood Manufacturing is probably going to make you happy.

They are one of they only manufacturers that makes their own frames, and are hell for stout. 4-season as well, which is nice for late-season hunting and winter camping should you so choose.

You'll pay a bit more for them, but they'll give you far less grief than most.

Best of luck.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Consider floor plans. Some are terrible with a lot of wasted space. Some of the bumper pulls with rear doors are especially bad.
A lot of campers use the same bathroom layout. By necessity, the toilet has to sit inside the frame so the drain lines can reach the tank. They set the toilet facing the inside and put the wall too close. Your knees almost touch the wall and it's very hard to get your balance to stand up and get your pants up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’ll be pulling it with my old 98 dodge with a 12 valve diesel. It’ll pull. Don’t plan on keeping clients in it but may use it as a base camp while hunting for myself and friends but it’s mAinly just for family trips

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t have any pics but I built my own out of a wells cargo enclosed utility trailer..... I was able to add a FULL size shower, fold down bunks/ couches, roof mounted AC, and a propane furnace. Walls/ceiling insulated with that foam board insulation, linoleum on the floor....a few cabinets..... all cooking done outside.....can still haul a couple quads or whatever.....this forum was a bunch of help.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get as big of one as you can safely pull. A Fifth Wheel is best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a toyhauler that allows me to haul my side by side or 2 4 wheelers and still camp with all the comforts of home. Gas station, on board generator, hot/cold running water, heat and air. This one has a front bedroom for comfort and privacy. I would stay away from any canvas slides or pop ups, they will always be a disappointment. These can be found on Craigslist and KSL classifieds at great savings over buying new...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Drummond,

I'm just up the road from you. Had a similar choice a few years ago buying a camper for the family and the side benefit of using it for hunting trips. I'm in the minority on the 5th wheel aspect, as I really like having bed space for extra gear and dead critters. I'm running a 28' bunkhouse and we are a family of 5. Its big enough to enjoy, but not so big as being a pain to get in places. Especially in the NF. With the 10k Equalizer hitch it tows like a dream even in stiff wind. I'd be happy to try and meet up with you if you want to take a look. We bought it new in 2017 for what alot of used campers go for in our part of the state. A few things I'd change in the future but those would only pertain to late season hunting and any potential hail storms.

Shut up and hunt!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Find one that's been stored in a shed. That's the first thing I'd look for.

Sun and rain are a campers worst enemy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been disappointed with owning camp trailers. I'd rent if I had need at this point in my life. Let someone else take the hit. One roof leak is thousands of dollars to repair the damage, no thanks. If you can afford $30K for a new trailer, all the upkeep, repairs, and depreciation you can afford a few hundred to rent one every now and then. You'll be money and headaches ahead.

LOL
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The toyhauler aspect would be a big plus. One less thing to tow with the atv inside.
I would keep it as short as possible to get back on some of the narrow roads in the forest.
If you go the generator route, get a quiet one or one that is enclosed, no one enjoys their noise when camping, especially your neighbors 1/4-1/2 mile away trying to enjoy the forest sounds.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Look for a four season, metal framed trailer stored in a shelter. Inspect the roof and stay away from wood framed ones.

Lance makes a great camper. Not cheap but well built good quality. If willing to travel find used ones in Arizona, Texas.
I’m looking for a used Lance and prices seem cheaper on east coast.

Last edited by ribka; 02/01/19.
KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

If you intend to use it at hunting camp then there are several items that you want to include.

The floor plan is real important. Study that carefully. You want it to be small enough that it's easy to pull and maneuver on dirt roads and at the same time big enough to accommodate four people in sleeping bags. I have a 17' Casita. It's too small. A 21' travel trailer with a slide out and two double beds would fit my uses better. The manufacturers say they are queen size beds but they are not really that big. But they're big enough.

You want it to be capable of operating off the grid for a week or so. So it should have two deep cycle batteries and LED lights. Buy a Honda generator.

You want it to operate in the cold so the piping and tanks must be inside the insulation shell. The furnace must be 100% propane. Mine has a small squirrel cage fan that will consume the battery in one night. So I have to use a Buddy Heater. You want a gravity flow furnace assisted by a tiny fan that's powered by a thermocouple in the furnace flame. The pipes and tanks of mine are not insulated so I have to winterize it and bring water in jugs to hunting camp.

You need a full set of monitor gauges. Water and battery are most important.

You need lots of cabinets for storage. You may have to add some and mount them on the walls yourself.

Don't bother with a microwave oven. They operate only on A/C power and that won't be available at camp. You can use that space better for a cabinet. If you need a microwave, get a portable unit and connect it to your generator.

Your pickup should have a topper to store extra stuff so you don't crowd the inside of the trailer. Don't get a fifth wheel. The hitch consumes the bed of your truck and it prevents you from having a topper. The salesman will say it's easy to remove the hitch but that's a load of crap. I know several people who have fifth wheels and they never remove the hitch. Their rigs are too big for camp and they spend all of their time in RV parks.

Avoid a TV. You go hunting to get away from that stuff.

Get a hitch lock and use it.

Remember that the tires should be inflated to 50 psi.

A trailer built in 2007 is really old. They don't last that long. Lots of things just deteriorate in time. I bought mine new in 2011 and it's time to replace it.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Fireball2 has made a good suggestion! We have a 26ft bunk house with a 14 ft slide. It works great year round. The only problem I have with renting is, lead time to get the trailer. Some mornings the wife will say let's go camping, we load and go. With children the bunk house is great. Ours has slept many grandchildren. Get one with the new one piece roof, tarp or cover when not in use, and drain and winterize when storing. Most trailer campers don't get the required maintenance, look closely when purchasing. Campers can be like boats, money pits if not taken care of properly.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Either a fifth wheel or a goose neck.There are conversions for 5th wheel to goose neck .I prefer the goose neck as you don't have to fiddle with that big frame .You can either put a fold down ball or a drop in ball in the truck bed and then you don't have to be putting in or taking out that frame. Either though are a lot more maneuverable than a bumper pull.

The goose neck ball can be put in pretty easy and is some thing you can do yourself.
With the goose neck or 5th wheel,you also won't have to worry about getting a load equalize hitch .That is another $500-$700.

Renting a few times will let you figure out what you want in terms of floor layout.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Renting a few times will let you figure out what you want in terms of floor layout.

This is good advice. The trailer that I now own is my second. I wish I had rented a few different types before buying.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some of this has probably already been said.
- Get on the roof and inspect it for damage.
- Check the floors for soft spots.
- If its exterior is fiberglass/laminated, check for delamination.
- Plug it in and turn everything on, including the A/C.
- If you’re going to use it off grid, get the model # and check the specs online to see what the tank capacities are. A lot of trailers don’t have big holding tanks b/c most people don’t boondock.
- I like a bigger bathroom and twin bunks as opposed to a smaller bathroom and double bunks. Some of these bathrooms are only made for toddler size people.
- Slideouts add weight but since you won’t have a problem with towing I’d recommend one, especially with a family.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 1234, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 13,256 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,271
Posts18,544,981
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.