Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Somebody from the 'fire was going to put a wood stove in his camper, can't remember who. It was about a year ago. Wonder if it worked out.

That would be me wink....40' motorhome that I've lived in for the past 4 years and I've had the wood stove for the past three years. The wood stove is a GREAT addition and is the only heat source I use... I'm gonna be downsizing from the motorhome to a smaller 5th wheel this spring when the weather gets a little warmer/dryer...I'll either be using a gooseneck adapter or mounting an Andersen hitch...I'm back in Sonora Ca. right now and doing a little work for my friends that own the RV/Boat storage yard so I get to look at a whole bunch of different RVs, hitch setups, floor plans, modifications etc....my plans right now are to pick up the cheapest aluminum framed 5th wheel I can find that has a slider and completely gut it (especially excess cabinetry)...put in a full size shower and full size, low volume porcelain flush toilet... and of course, another wood stove.... grin

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 5th wheel would be nice but not practical for me. My pickup always has 1 of the following in the bed when we travel:
car top boat
UTV
stock rack and llamas during hunting season

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We did the 26’ bumper pull with master and bunk beds for the kids. Hunted all over the Rockys with it. Family trips always meant atvs which was a problem because I could only put 1 in the bed of the tow vehicles we had (1/2 ton truck). Upgraded to a 34’ 5th wheel toyhauler and never looked batck. Ours had 3 queen beds and a fold out couch.....was perfect, and the master suite was perfect. It could haul a sxs or a mix of 3-5 atvs (small to large). Obviously, for that kind of GVW, a real tow vehicle is the starting point.

While bringing a generator is cheaper, an integral generator in the 5th wheel was a great addition. With a push of a button, I could fire it up without venturing outside. It ran off a 30 gallon fulel tank that also served as a fuel station for the ATVs.

I’d figure out what your real expectations for use are....and then step up a bit in size and extras—you’ll be better off in the long run. I’ve become a real fan of 5th wheels for the maneuverability and stability. Also, braking/mass are a huge factor in determining adequacy of your tow vehicle. OEM tow ratings aren’t a fair prediction of what you can safely brake in an emergency.

One of my gripes with all I’ve owned or used was the lack of real insulation. In cold weather, even running non-stop, the furnaces struggled. We learned for late season hunting in the Rockys, large supplemental propane canisters were essential to avoid freezing problems. Just my 0.02.

Last edited by elkaddict; 02/02/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago, I went hunting with a friend who had a large trailer with slideouts. I slept on a fold down sofa in a slideout and like to have froze. It was in the teens outside. The cold soaked up through the bottom of the slideout. The next night we took a couple rugs put put down on the floor for insulation. It made a huge difference. This was supposed to be a 4 season camper but it was crap. He traded it off the next spring.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it says "light weight" it really means CHEAP

When I was tearing the axels off one of mine it was tearing the frame at the hangers!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A few years ago, I went hunting with a friend who had a large trailer with slideouts. I slept on a fold down sofa in a slideout and like to have froze. It was in the teens outside. The cold soaked up through the bottom of the slideout. The next night we took a couple rugs put put down on the floor for insulation. It made a huge difference. This was supposed to be a 4 season camper but it was crap. He traded it off the next spring.

If you study rv’s, you quickly learn the manufactures are bigger liars than car salesmen. Today a 4-season camper, often means.....4 seasons in the Florida Keys. There are very few rv’s that can handle sub-zero temps very well. And even the best, will consume a lot of propane! I would not hesitate to use our RV in temperatures colder than -30 F.....and have done so. We lived through 2 Wyoming winters, while building a home. We slept warm, had nice hot showers, not bad at all. Yes, a quality, stick built home is much better than any RV for winter’s worst.....but there are campers that can make it a pretty pleasurable experience! I don’t recall it being mandatory, to be miserable while hunting! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/02/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With a wife and 2 kids you will want something around 24'-26'. Avoid slide-outs. And you don't need a 5th wheel. Buy a quality used trailer.

I had a 1958 18' Airstream single axle that I towed all over, from Baja to British Colombia. That would be pretty small for a family of 4. Now I have a 1967 24' Silver Streak dual axle that would be a good size for your purpose. Only paid $3500 for it. While no cherry on the outside, it is very nice inside and has 2" insulation. It's easy to tow and has plenty of room. If you buy something like that and later decide you'd like something different, you'd easily be able to get your money back. Net photo.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 222ND, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 12,419 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,270
Posts18,544,930
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.