Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Just finished the small rib roast. 2.7 pounds cooked at 132 degrees for 7 hours.

Put on my special rub. Seared it on all sides first in a pan with a few tablespoons of oil.

Placed it in the vacuum bag. Poured half a cup of red wine and half a cup of beef broth in the pan and brought it to a boil and scraped off the bottom of the pan and let the juice reduce by about 1/3rd. Let it cool a few minutes and poured this into the vacuum bag with the meat and then took out nearly all the remaining air and sealed the bag.

When the cook was done, poured out all the juice into another little sauce pan and fired up the grill for another all-sides sear and let it rest for 10 minutes... While it was resting, I brought the juices back to a boil for about 3 minutes and set aside.

Carved the meat and served with au jus and it was restaurant quality...

Next time I might do 134 degrees...

For round roasts or bottom roasts, they say a 22 hour cook is necessary to really tenderize but that the meat ends up tasting like prime rib...

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don’t even need a picture! Drooling!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
For round roasts or bottom roasts, they say a 22 hour cook is necessary to really tenderize but that the meat ends up tasting like prime rib...

Sounds good Dan.

I've resisted any of the really long baths but I can see trying to do that. I did the moose roast pictured above for about 3 hours and it was the right amount of tenderness for us. I have done some longer but you also risk some mushiness. I guess I just need a getter a larger primal.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't know about 22 hours at 133 degrees. I'd think bacteria survives at warmer temps than that. I'd worry I was breeding a swamp.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
40-140 degrees. Don't hang out in the "no zone".
Hadn't considered this when thinking of sous vide.
Anyone concerned.

Just ask my wife, she has been Serve-Safe certified for 10+years.
She would be a little concerned about under 140 temps.
The food inspector keeps a thermometer in their pocket, and they
check everything from dishwasher to freezer, warmers....

But then many top restaurants use this.

If seasoned with enough salt/acid, it should inhibit bacteria growth.
But how much?

Maybe Madmooner or others will chime in.

Just Googled. Lower temps will kill bacteria, it just takes longer.
But, are they growing before they die?

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 02/01/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

D
D
Been cooking sous vide for close to 8 years now. Happy to help anyone with questions. I've pretty much cooked most everything that can be cooked and do a lot of experimenting. I've got 2 brisket flats going now to see if I like 135°/60hrs or 131°/72 hrs better. For anybody just getting into it and wanting to learn about the food safety kd it I'd suggest studying up on this link. The recipes are meh but the pasteurization charts and other food safety advice is solid. Sous Vide Food Safety

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tag

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Of a guy knows how to cook meat rest meat, I don't think they're needed.... Imo

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Why don't u guys learn how to cook instead of " want ta b steam cooking" ...and get up off me ive did all this kinda cookin l...I still whip up better chit than the water bath.....real cooks chime it ....
The meat better b good ..or enjoy the barnyard...lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
D
D
Care to share how y'all MasterChef's criticizing the technique cook a $4/lb chuck roast to medium rare and have it eat like the best ribeye you've ever had? But really, for me it's convenience and safety. Since I do all the cooking in the house and with 2 active young kids it helps to precook and keep things in the freezer to have for the week. Also, my wife is going through chemo for breast cancer so I'm able to make sure everything she eats is fully pasteurized with no chance of getting sick. So for some of us it's way more than a fad. It doesn't replace traditional cooking, it's just another technique to add to ones cooking arsenal. Though I'll admit nearly every protein I cook now is cooked SV.

Last edited by dropnbassonu; 02/02/19.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, I know that when I do the final sear on a flaming grill on all sides, them dam bacteria had better run for the hills...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dillon: I am concerned about the Danger Zone. This link explains the Zone and sous vide: https://www.wired.com/review/mellow-sous-vide-review/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,671
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.